Thread: Fuel Line

Default Fuel Line

I am installing the fuel port today. I am going to cut it into the rubber OE line. I am using the brass barb fittings from Pegasus. Do I need a tape or sealant on the threaded ends?

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Yes you do.

Smarter builders will hopefully chime in here, but I use teflon tape. I wrap it "with" the threads, if you know what I mean, although I think it's OK either way. I try to get 3 wraps, and I always start up a thread or more. I do this because I don't want any loose bits hanging in the fuel stream.

keep in mind, this is based on "Jake logic" which has NOTHING to do with established practices, LOL.

Because I use that unrecognized form of logic, I place a couple of good fuel filters in strategic locations. So make sure you have one downstream of this connection.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

When looking at a fitting and trying to decide if a thread sealer should be used, you need to look at where the 'seal' on the fitting is located.
    1) If there is a mechanical seal on the fitting, like an O-ring or washer, then no additional sealer is required.
    2) If there is a flare or inverted-flare on the fitting, like an AN or brake line, then no additional sealer is required.
    3) If the threads of the fitting are designed to do the sealing, then you should use Teflon tape or paste.

In the fittings that you have pictured, the one on the left looks like it has an O-ring on the end. No tape needed.
    In the fitting on the right, it looks like there is an inverted flare on the end. Again, no tape needed.

Rule of thumb:
    A pipe-thread (tapered thread) fitting will always require a thread sealer.
    A straight-thread fitting will not require a thread sealer.
    As with all rules of thumb, there will be exceptions. I have seen aftermarket fuel pumps that were provided with pipe-thread barb fittings that said in the instructions to not put sealer on the threads. I followed the instructions and the fittings didn't leak!
    (Fuel pump manufactures worry that a piece of Teflon tape will tear off a fitting and get ingested by the pump)

I'm not sure if I helped but there you go!
    Last edited by titanium; 02-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

+1 for titaniums reply except I tend to always use a thread sealant on pipe threads. Use a a liquid form of teflon sealant and keep it away from the first couple of threads to keep it from getting ingested by the system being sealed.
    Tom Sprecher

Disagree, guys.

The left fitting is the actual port. The hose goes on the non o ring end, and the assembly gets pushed in, releasing fuel. The O ring is the seal/break part of the port.

The other barbed fitting does have a chamfer, but thats not a sealing surface, unless there were a matching surface in the junction block thats shown, but there isn't.

here's the link for the page the products are on.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=3447

The threads are all listed as 1/8" NPT.

So, the threads will do the sealing, not the mating surfaces. Sealant needed.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Your are correct. The +1 was for titanium's "rule of thumb". I must have skimmed over his comments on the pictures above. They appear to all be NPT and therefore no O-rings are used. Sealant is necessary. Batteries not included. The results are not typical. Some assembly required. If symptoms persist see your doctor. Etc, etc, etc....
    Tom Sprecher

Thanks fellas.
    I went to Autozone to get some Permatex thread sealant and some new fuel line. I spoke to the 'head guy in charge' about what I was doing. He said there was no such thing as fuel resistant sealants and I will contaminate the system. He suggested making the threads tight enough The Permatex I bought says it can be used on diesel lines.
    I will assemble this thing with the sealant I bought on just upper threads as you have suggested. Jake, great idea about the filter. I will add one. I am going to install the port and new filter on the return line between the fuel rail and the fire wall. It seems to be the easiest, low congestion place to install it.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Thanks fellas.
    I went to Autozone to get some Permatex thread sealant and some new fuel line. I spoke to the 'head guy in charge' about what I was doing. He said there was no such thing as fuel resistant sealants and I will contaminate the system. He suggested making the threads tight enough The Permatex I bought says it can be used on diesel lines.
    I will assemble this thing with the sealant I bought on just upper threads as you have suggested. Jake, great idea about the filter. I will add one. I am going to install the port and new filter on the return line between the fuel rail and the fire wall. It seems to be the easiest, low congestion place to install it.

Gotta love the knowledge that gets dropped on ya at the 'Zone! 'Head up his rear guy in charge'? Technical Data Sheets for standard Permatex thread sealant and Loctite 565 both list them as chemically resistant to gasoline. FWIW the only thing I use tape on anymore is household water plumbing. I use PST on just about everything. It works real well on brake bleeder threads too. If you're trying to use a siphon type bleeder they can pull air around the threads and make you think all those bubbles you're seeing are coming from the caliper.

http://www.permatex.com/documents/td...tive/56521.pdf
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com