Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with the Memphis drivers school???

Default Whats up with the Memphis drivers school???

I am trying to get someone to go to the Memphis drivers school, but I cannot find ANYTHING about it anywhere.

matt

You might try the Memphis registrar... her name, address, and email are listed on the MidDiv website, here:

http://www.midiv.org/Code/Contacts.htm
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I am aware of the region website and contacts page, one would think with around a amonth before adouble drivers school/regional the hosting region might at least mention it on their site. Having to call 3 people to find out if it is indeed still scheduled is riduculous for the new racer that the school is supposedly trying to attract. More Secret Car CLub of America crap. Good news is we have found out that it will be up on the webpage next week sometime.

matt

We are waiting on our sanction approval and, frankly, I'm surprised we haven't gotten it yet. The event is on and online Registration via DLB should be available next week.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Bill, that is what my friend found out from your chief instructor. We were starting to wonder about the school because he is coming from Ohio and it is the only one he can attend this year. I even told him that you would respond.

Thanks,

fellow RX-7 racer

matt

I'm kind of curious how anyone would even know there is a school in the first place. I just went to scca.com and tried the calendar and got only the cal club school. Nothing about Memphis, nothing about Great Lakes.

I guess everyone has been too busy preparing for the convention.

Edit: Oh, I see my mistake. I naively chose the "drivers school" option on the search which actually lists only the Continental Divide Region school. Memphis and Cal Club are there if you just search on Club Racing and wade thru all the events. Still nothing for Great Lakes. Like you guys I'm wondering how I can schedule my year when I can't even tell if there is a school I can go to. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

jim
    Last edited by jumbojimbo; 02-09-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Nor are schools listed in the SportsCar calendar anymore.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    I'm kind of curious how anyone would even know there is a school in the first place.
    FWIW, the MiDiv website 2008 events calendar http://www.midiv.org/ was posted about 3 months ago, and I'm pretty sure the Memphis double school was included in that post.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    I am aware of the region website and contacts page, one would think with around a amonth before adouble drivers school/regional the hosting region might at least mention it on their site. Having to call 3 people to find out if it is indeed still scheduled is riduculous for the new racer that the school is supposedly trying to attract. More Secret Car CLub of America crap. matt
    Matt,
    Please remember that attitude is something the instructors rate...

See you there,

Todd

Todd, attitude is a very big part of it I agree, I have raced and instructed for 10 years, I am just trying to get other people to drivers schools, like I do every year. All I was saying it is pathetic that a potential new student gets discouraged by hunting around for the school info and finding nothing. There was not even anything about it on the hosting regions website. I know how to find this info as I have been doing it for years. I am looking at it from a newbie point of view. We need to do anything we can to make it a more pleasant experience for the potential SCCA racers out there. How would you know there is even a midwest.org if nobody ever told you? There are many reasons we are having a net loss of racers every year. This does not seem that hard to improve, that is all I was saying. Please do not take it as an attitude problem, as I just want things better so I do not have to race exclusively with the space program organization.

Matt

Let's not get all waggy-fingered. Matt has a perfectly valid point. I've got someone locally (WV) who wants to do his schools, and I wouldn't have known there was a school at Memphis unless I'd seen this.

K

Matt is right; we did a crappy job by not having at least the event on our Region calendar.

On the SCCA site under drivers schools it says to check in SportsCar or "the schedule below." Of course, they are not listed in SportsCar and there is no schedule below!

That said, anyone looking for a school could do as I just did and Google <SCCA "drivers school"> and you can find them, including ours.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Let's not get all waggy-fingered. Matt has a perfectly valid point. I've got someone locally (WV) who wants to do his schools, and I wouldn't have known there was a school at Memphis unless I'd seen this.

I guess I don't understand... from a club racing perspective. if I want to know what's going on in an SCCA division (especially outside my home division), I go to the division website first. I believe without exception, every division has a website, and each of those websites has a calendar of events that typically includes all club racing dates in that division. This seems to make sense... if I'm not mistaken, all race dates have to be coordinated at the divisional level, right? And BTW, there are links for all divisional websites on the national website, so it's not like they are a secret.

I'm not making excuses for regional websites, I'm just sayin'...
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

I have just returned from the SCCA national convention and I talked with Wyndi. Wyndi is the one who processes the sanction applications. She has been very busy preparing for the convention and on top of that she got sick. She told me that she would process our sanction application and we should have it online and on DLB racing by the end of this week. I apologize for any inconvenience.
    Phil Harris
    MidSouth Region
    Memphis, TN
    1991 Mazda Miata

auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports...all others are games.
    -ernest hemingway-

Gary - your process presumes knowledge of the National-Divisional-Regional structure of the Club. That's not something someone coming out of the cold will know. My guy was more than a little lost in the morass of our organization.

KK

well since i'm at the center of this whole thing, let me first say part of the concern was that it was only listed on the divisions site. It wasn't the order of national, division, region... it was the fact that the region that is hosting the school had zero about it. Not even mention of it, and the division had it on a calender and no information anyplace else. I looked through current online forums on both the division and the region for info with no luck. And yes about the time this was started phone calls were being placed.

Brian

Brian is my friend who called me looking for this info, thanks everyone for your guidance on this subject.

matt

OK, children, let's stop all the squabbling and start registering!

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubr...x?EventID=3227
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Registered for the race on Sunday! Now to get all that go fast suspension installled on the POS-7.

wow... start of the season is only a few weeks away

I've got to get my ass in gear on the ITR car or I'm not going to get any racing in this year!
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works