Thread: NER > VIR what is the best way to get by NY?

Default NER > VIR what is the best way to get by NY?

Heading down to VA this weekend. Not race related.

Anyway what is the best way to get through NY. I will have a trailer and have done it once I promised myself I would never do it again. It was hell.

Thanks!

hard to say, as I don't know where you're coming from. greg Amy is Mr Atlas, but I'd think about taking !84 across the river, tehn turning south. (Assuming you mean you don't want to take I95 through NYC)

Now, if you are on the coast of CT, (I95), just take 287 just past the CT/NY border to the Tappan Zee bridge, to avoid the mess)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Coming from NH. So whatever you guys think is best I will do. lol

If you really want to avoid all the congestion on the coast.... NY, NJ, DC etc. you could take 88 from Albany to Binghamton and pick up 81 South. I'm not sure how that would be for time and miles though.

Actually, my suggestion above may not be so wacky. Mapquest says it takes an hour or so longer but you sure avoid traffic and nonsense on the coast etc.

You could take 84 west all the way to Scranton, PA and then head south on 81 to Harrisburg. Jump on 83 south heading to Baltimore and then pick up the loop, I-695. Take that around to and on to 95 south. It's about an hour longer than going direct down thru Jersey but maybe worth it if your pulling a trailor. No tolls either if I remember correctly...

Good luck!

You can either go 84 to 81 or 84 to 684 to 78. We do these when going to Summit (once or twice a year for the past 607 years). Tapanzee only has a toll going northbound, same w/ the 84 bridge.

684 has less hills, more potholes. If your vehicle doesn't care about hills then go 84 to 81.

Quote Originally Posted by vwzx7 View Post
    You could take 84 west all the way to Scranton, PA and then head south on 81 to Harrisburg.
    Any time I've got to go points south from Connecticut (VIR, SPR, etc) this is the way I go. Sure, it's less mileage to go through NYC - or even through Jersey via 287/78 - but all it takes is one piece of congestion and your advantage is quashed times two.

My preferred route to VIR - besides direct MAD, V16 RIC, V20 SBV, direct DAN - is 84W to I-91S, I64W at Staunton to Rt 29S to Danville.

Mr. Atlas

Comes across 84 ...and go down 81...to 64.....to 29......
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Leaving right now. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by vwzx7 View Post
    You could take 84 west all the way to Scranton, PA and then head south on 81 to Harrisburg. Jump on 83 south heading to Baltimore and then pick up the loop, I-695. Take that around to and on to 95 south. It's about an hour longer than going direct down thru Jersey but maybe worth it if your pulling a trailor. No tolls either if I remember correctly...

Good luck!
    He's gone, but for others...

Once you are on I81, just stay on it and take either:
    A. I64 to US29
    B. US60 East to US501 to US29

Traffic usually moves MUCH faster on I81 than the Bawlmer-Richmond corrider.

For future reference: "Airplane"

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    He's gone, but for others...

Once you are on I81, just stay on it and take either:
    A. I64 to US29
    B. US60 East to US501 to US29

Traffic usually moves MUCH faster on I81 than the Bawlmer-Richmond corrider.
    A. The short cut from I64 to US29, is Exit 99 at the top of Afton Mountain. Take a right at the end of the ramp, that puts you on Rt250, at the bottom of Afton Mountain take the right onto Rt 151, after several miles (10 or 15),
    take the left onto Rt 6, which takes you to Rt 29. The road down Afton Mountain is steep, so if you are towing, be sure to have good brakes. When I tow north to Summit Point, I take Rt29 to Charlottesville,
    and pick up I64 to avoid going up the steep hill.

B. US 501 out of Buena Vista (how do you pronouce Buena Vista?) is a good driving road if you are not towing (can you say switchbacks!!). Even if you are towing, the hills are not as steep as Afton Mountain,
    in the past, I have used Rt 501 to tow to and from Mid Ohio.
    Todd Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by tac911t View Post
    A. The short cut from I64 to US29, is Exit 99...
    Hmmm, nice. Tow-able with big trailer?

US 501 out of Buena Vista (how do you pronouce Buena Vista?) is a good driving road if you are not towing
    Bu-wayna Veestah. Need to learn you some espaņol, amigo.

COMPLETELY agree, on both counts. I ended up taking 501 to VIR last year and it's a gorgeous drive. But, I was driving a 15-passenger van pulling a trailer; I would have enjoyed it much more in my S4...