Thread: NER > VIR what is the best way to get by NY?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default NER > VIR what is the best way to get by NY?

Heading down to VA this weekend. Not race related.

Anyway what is the best way to get through NY. I will have a trailer and have done it once I promised myself I would never do it again. It was hell.

Thanks!

hard to say, as I don't know where you're coming from. greg Amy is Mr Atlas, but I'd think about taking !84 across the river, tehn turning south. (Assuming you mean you don't want to take I95 through NYC)

Now, if you are on the coast of CT, (I95), just take 287 just past the CT/NY border to the Tappan Zee bridge, to avoid the mess)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Coming from NH. So whatever you guys think is best I will do. lol

If you really want to avoid all the congestion on the coast.... NY, NJ, DC etc. you could take 88 from Albany to Binghamton and pick up 81 South. I'm not sure how that would be for time and miles though.

Actually, my suggestion above may not be so wacky. Mapquest says it takes an hour or so longer but you sure avoid traffic and nonsense on the coast etc.

You could take 84 west all the way to Scranton, PA and then head south on 81 to Harrisburg. Jump on 83 south heading to Baltimore and then pick up the loop, I-695. Take that around to and on to 95 south. It's about an hour longer than going direct down thru Jersey but maybe worth it if your pulling a trailor. No tolls either if I remember correctly...

Good luck!

You can either go 84 to 81 or 84 to 684 to 78. We do these when going to Summit (once or twice a year for the past 607 years). Tapanzee only has a toll going northbound, same w/ the 84 bridge.

684 has less hills, more potholes. If your vehicle doesn't care about hills then go 84 to 81.