Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spare Tire

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    All good and well Kirk, but again, I was not talking about another competitor and what they do with their spare. I have a 100% oem legal spare that holds nothing but air. Add in some ballast to balence the car and allow me to make weight without sloshing around a full tank of fuel and im good to go. If you think the spare is a safety issue, by all means don't use one. But if I can help the balence of my car as well as make weight without needing to come of off the track with 9 gallons in the tank (some tracks you burn more.) The so be it.
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I hear some desire for rules creep intended to aid certain cars....

Remember all, when we decided to race our Borgwards, we did so knowing that they might have certain warts to go along with their strengths.

Luckily for this car, (and most, actually) his "issue" can be solved with a fuel cell, properly baffled, and the proper (heavy) reinforced structure it's mounted in.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I don't think James is advocating for anything other than for things to be left exactly the way they are, so I don't smell any creepiness there. My point is that, when we start talking about changing things, the thing we should change is the allowance to leave it in, rather than layering on a bunch of additional language to "clarify" or "fix" the situation.

K

unless the rules have changed. u can remove the spare tire.u can remove the passenger seat. the ballast has to be in the passenger foot well. if u need the the weight of the spare tire leave it in, because you can.if u need more weight,leave in the passener seat in. i would leave them ( both if needed) to balance the car. then add the ballast !

I seriously do have a question. For the zillions of cars that come with a donut standard but usually have full-sized spare tires (either a factory or dealer option), can we put in a full sized spare tire?

And since we can change the wheels on the ground - can we put a different wheel and tire (assuming it meets the same rules as the wheels on the ground)?

I really do think that if the wheel/tire is legal for the ones on the ground than it should be legal to carry as a spare. A 70lb wheel with extra balance weights filled with buckshot is NOT legal to race on and would not pass tech.

My interest? I carry a 5th matched wheel around with me. I'd just assume strap it in the car than have to cart it around in the back of my SUV. Heck, I think it's lighter than the donut anyway!
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I don't think James is advocating for anything other than for things to be left exactly the way they are, so I don't smell any creepiness there. K

ding ding ding. Its allowed today, I have the option of removing my spare, I choose not toremove it and use it to stay to min weight since I can. I do not see it as a safety issue any worse then ballast mounted on my passanger floor.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

As pointed out earlier in the thread, the rule regarding the spare tire is really very clear.

c. Spare wheels and tires may be removed.

That's the entire rule, and it appears to be every thing the ITCS has to say about spare tires. So... if your car came with a spare tire & wheel, you may remove it. IMO therefore, the rule does not allow modification, replacement, or substitution. It also doesn't allow making it bigger or smaller or heavier or lighter.

Having said that, if the line entry for your car includes several model years, and some of them were equipped with spacesavers while some had regular spare tires, you would therefore have a choice between those stock spare tires, based on the assembly update/backdate allowance.

As an aside - I've had the pleasure of watching a stock Volvo 15 x 5.5 wheel & Michelin ZX 165-15 assembly being weighed... before and after the sand was removed. The scale readings were 87 and 37 lbs, respectively.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    As pointed out earlier in the thread, the rule regarding the spare tire is really very clear.

That's the entire rule, and it appears to be every thing the ITCS has to say about spare tires. So... if your car came with a spare tire & wheel, you may remove it. IMO therefore, the rule does not allow modification, replacement, or substitution. It also doesn't allow making it bigger or smaller or heavier or lighter.

9.1.3.D.7.a Any wheel/tire may be used within the following limitations:

You may remove the spare tire/wheel or you may replace it with one that is legal for your car as defined in the limitations.

It clearly says that ANY wheel/tire may be used. If it says you can do it, then you can.

Here's a new wrinkle on this theme. I've got an under car mini spare. It mounts in a plastic tray secured in a steel frame and two m20 nuts hold it up against the trunk floor. Say I remove the mini spare and fill the tray with dirt then wet it down so that it has all the properties of concrete. As much off roading as I do it just might happen anyway

Actually I think I need to do this anyway as it doesn't say anything about removing the spare tire storage, just the spare. Oh, and on my street Z3 I've emptied out maybe 5-10lbs of dirt and rock when I last serviced the spare tire, so it is realistic to believe that the tray naturally collects dirt and rocks.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

A parameter to consider in all of this............ Polar Moment

James, i stand corrected. I read your post through fever influenced eyes, and misunderstood.

On the option to swap the spare for anything, based on the relevant rule that allows wheel swaps, I beg to differ. The rulebook makes the general statement, then goes on to specify spares as a subset, and lists the requirement for them clearly.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    James, i stand corrected. I read your post through fever influenced eyes, and misunderstood.

On the option to swap the spare for anything, based on the relevant rule that allows wheel swaps, I beg to differ. The rulebook makes the general statement, then goes on to specify spares as a subset, and lists the requirement for them clearly.
    Hey Jake,

I'm not really serious, just adding to some of the sillyness.

But there's nothing in the rule book about removing the spare carrier and under tray as part of the general gutting. If anything I'd support Kirk's first inclination and say must remove all spares, and associated attaching hardware. For me it's just one less place to collect dirt.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Jake no biggie. I guess in my own ranting and worries about having to remove my spare and bolt more weight next to my body is what I was after.

As for the spare size. I am not sure what to think on that, I am still using my mini spare but a full size would easilly fit in the well.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    But there's nothing in the rule book about removing the spare carrier and under tray as part of the general gutting.

James,
    While admitting there's a possible argument that your car does not carry the spare in the "trunk", I would think the following would apply (9.1.3.D.9.g - page 331):
    Any removable covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins, etc., may be removed along with attaching hardware and bracketry.
    Last edited by Gary L; 02-08-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    James,
    While admitting there's a possible argument that your car does not carry the spare in the "trunk", I would think the following would apply (9.1.3.D.9.g - page 331):
    So then I could remove the rear bumper/cover as it covers the spare

Reasonable people may disagree.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    So then I could remove the rear bumper/cover as it covers the spare

Reasonable people may disagree.

James
    Reasonable people!?! at IT.COM in the winter?!? Hell there's only about 2 reasonable people here! and I'm both of 'em!!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Jake no biggie. I guess in my own ranting and worries about having to remove my spare and bolt more weight next to my body is what I was after.
    I'm asking for an allowance to substitute ballast for the tire. (It's optional).
    It's not something that should be mandatory...

BTW, all of you wanting concrete and lead-filled tires, must they be 120 mph rated???

Todd