Thread: Spare Tire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    As pointed out earlier in the thread, the rule regarding the spare tire is really very clear.

That's the entire rule, and it appears to be every thing the ITCS has to say about spare tires. So... if your car came with a spare tire & wheel, you may remove it. IMO therefore, the rule does not allow modification, replacement, or substitution. It also doesn't allow making it bigger or smaller or heavier or lighter.

9.1.3.D.7.a Any wheel/tire may be used within the following limitations:

You may remove the spare tire/wheel or you may replace it with one that is legal for your car as defined in the limitations.

It clearly says that ANY wheel/tire may be used. If it says you can do it, then you can.

Here's a new wrinkle on this theme. I've got an under car mini spare. It mounts in a plastic tray secured in a steel frame and two m20 nuts hold it up against the trunk floor. Say I remove the mini spare and fill the tray with dirt then wet it down so that it has all the properties of concrete. As much off roading as I do it just might happen anyway

Actually I think I need to do this anyway as it doesn't say anything about removing the spare tire storage, just the spare. Oh, and on my street Z3 I've emptied out maybe 5-10lbs of dirt and rock when I last serviced the spare tire, so it is realistic to believe that the tray naturally collects dirt and rocks.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

A parameter to consider in all of this............ Polar Moment

James, i stand corrected. I read your post through fever influenced eyes, and misunderstood.

On the option to swap the spare for anything, based on the relevant rule that allows wheel swaps, I beg to differ. The rulebook makes the general statement, then goes on to specify spares as a subset, and lists the requirement for them clearly.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    James, i stand corrected. I read your post through fever influenced eyes, and misunderstood.

On the option to swap the spare for anything, based on the relevant rule that allows wheel swaps, I beg to differ. The rulebook makes the general statement, then goes on to specify spares as a subset, and lists the requirement for them clearly.
    Hey Jake,

I'm not really serious, just adding to some of the sillyness.

But there's nothing in the rule book about removing the spare carrier and under tray as part of the general gutting. If anything I'd support Kirk's first inclination and say must remove all spares, and associated attaching hardware. For me it's just one less place to collect dirt.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    But there's nothing in the rule book about removing the spare carrier and under tray as part of the general gutting.

James,
    While admitting there's a possible argument that your car does not carry the spare in the "trunk", I would think the following would apply (9.1.3.D.9.g - page 331):
    Any removable covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins, etc., may be removed along with attaching hardware and bracketry.
    Last edited by Gary L; 02-08-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    James,
    While admitting there's a possible argument that your car does not carry the spare in the "trunk", I would think the following would apply (9.1.3.D.9.g - page 331):
    So then I could remove the rear bumper/cover as it covers the spare

Reasonable people may disagree.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Jake no biggie. I guess in my own ranting and worries about having to remove my spare and bolt more weight next to my body is what I was after.

As for the spare size. I am not sure what to think on that, I am still using my mini spare but a full size would easilly fit in the well.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Jake no biggie. I guess in my own ranting and worries about having to remove my spare and bolt more weight next to my body is what I was after.
    I'm asking for an allowance to substitute ballast for the tire. (It's optional).
    It's not something that should be mandatory...

BTW, all of you wanting concrete and lead-filled tires, must they be 120 mph rated???

Todd