Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Suits whats the difference?

Default Fire Suits whats the difference?

I understand the difference in the cheap sfi1 and the sfi5 suits. My question is why is there such a price difference in the sfi5 suits? I can see a few differences as far as sleeve attachment, quilting, cuff vs. straight cut leg. etc. but there is such a price difference. For example the sparco top end suits range from $1000-1500 and are 3 layers and sfi 5 rated. And the G-force 505 suit is $239 and it is also 3 layers and sfi 5 rated. Then the G-force 545 is $449 and it is 2 layers and also sfi 5 rated. Then you have a variety of suits that fall between the ones that I mentioned. So what warrants the huge price difference? Are you just paying for the Sparco name? Are there features that I should be looking for? I just want a suit that is comfortable and will protect me in a fire without breaking the bank.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

I can't answer your questions directly because I don't know enough about the technical details of the SFI process for suits or certification, or the polymers involved (beyond what we've all read here).

That said, what you're paying for, in the broadest sense, is a combination of a higher insulation value and more 'quality'. The insulation value, by way of 'TPP', is pretty well standardized, at least theoretically. As with lots of businesses, the quality part is mostly anecdotal, at best.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

One suit should be as safe as the other, however, the difference of the weights of the various suits (cheap to expensive) varies drastically. I originally had a cheap suit -$300ish- and replaced it with a good Sparco. The acutal weights of the suits was about 1 1/2# and the Sparco is much cooler. Bottom line, you pay for lightness and coolness. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

What Chuck says is typically the case. But, do your research. The European suits (Sparco, OMP, Puma) will be the lightest, but price is not necessarily indicative of the weight. I have a Simpson Euro ($800) that weighs a ton. I also have a Bell SL5 ($500) that weighs only about 4 pounds. Both are SFI-5 suits.

Todd

So is anyone using the G-Force 505 suit? It shows to be SFI 3.2A/5 rated with a TPP rating of 26. It also has a coolquilt liner that is supposed to keep you cooler by drawing moisture away from the body. Many of the other suits from Simpson, Sparco, etc. I haven't been able to find the TPP rating. Is there a website that shows this information. It is really hard to compair because the manufactures don't give you that much information. Thanks for your help, keep the comments coming!
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

* Bugle Blowing* da da da da */Bugle Blowing* sounds like a job for RSI.

Couldn't help myself.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Unless you go with a custom suit, they all have the same problem. Suits are sized for an average person. In my case I purchased a sparco sprint 5 (similar to the sprint 6) on close-out from safe-racer. It's basically like wearing a loose baggy set of coveralls because I'm taller than big around. I had to go a size larger to get a suit long enough, but wound up with extra room inside. The other thing is the suit is warm, which is great for those cool fall and spring events, but not so good in 105 degree summer sun. But then again, other than a cool under suit, any of these suits will be hot in 105 weather. So the coolness factor is a moot point when it gets really hot anyway as none of these suits really breath.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Another approach is to buy a Sparco One and then a set of CarbonX or other decent underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    One suit should be as safe as the other
    I would disagree with that statement. The SFI rating is a pass/fail test which means that one suit could offer improved protection. Comparing suits of the same rating will tell you that they both meet the same minimum standard, not that one isn't better than the other.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Matt...exactly what I meant except unspoken.

One other point... at the track on a 105 day, give me my light weight Sparco any day. Body temp much lower in the Sparco and suit was not as wet when removed. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Matt...exactly what I meant except unspoken.

One other point... at the track on a 105 day, give me my light weight Sparco any day. Body temp much lower in the Sparco and suit was not as wet when removed. Chuck
    That's another very important factor.

I read somwhere last year that over the past 10 years no one has died or been seriously injured in a fire. However, during the same period, 8-10 had had heat strokes or heart attacks from the heat.

Todd

Yea, have seen it happen to 20 something year old men who work in air conditioning. Us old farts (63) have to watch out for excessive heat Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

So I take it no one uses the g-force 505? If the manufactures only give you the SFI rating which is a minimum then how can a guy tell the difference. How do you decide which suit is cooler than the next brand? I know that most people just recommend what they have and that is fine but I am trying to find a way to compair the features, safety, etc. Does anyone know of an article where the suits are compaired or where I can find the tpp ratings on some of these other suits?

Aaron, what are your racing plans - are you thinking of doing very long endurance races in very high heat or primarily sprint races? If you are not racing in very high heat for quite a long time, I personally wouldn't be worried about a little extra weight in the suit. I'd be better off spending just a bit more time on getting myself in better physical shape.

If you bought a good, but less expensive racing suit versus some of the more expensive suits (if that would be in your budget), would you then be willing to use that money on other safety gear now or in the future? The way I look at it is what packages could you get? A super duper lite weigh helmet and racing suit versus a good suit, helmet, and X additional safety gear - I'd choose the second.

Last year I purchased one of the less expensive Sparaco suits as an X-mas present to myself. I also considered the G-Force suit, but the final decision came down to cosmetics for me. Besides, yellow racecars and yellow racing suits are cool. If would recommend something that does not require additional nomex underwear due to convenience while at the track - I now enjoy being able to throw my suit over my shorts/short sleeves clothes.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    If would recommend something that does not require additional nomex underwear due to convenience while at the track - I now enjoy being able to throw my suit over my shorts/short sleeves clothes.
    I always wear the nomex undies even though I don't need to with the multi layer suit. Its a personal choice that was cemented in my mind after a fiery crash in a Firehawk race about 20 years ago. Time is your friend and its a cheap price to pay for the extra couple seconds. Yes in the summer it's hot, but what is your skin worth? I know its more convenient, but what is your life worth? Fire in a race car is scary and I'm not afraid to admit it. At the moment its our choice to wear them or not, but how long will we have that choice? Like all the other little rules this one is bound to be reviewed at some time. My reason for stating this is every race I go to in the summer I see numerous guys wearing single layer suits without the nomex undies on the grid walking around in a t-shirt. At the 5 minute mark its suits zipped up and into the car. I shake my head every time. Someone is gonna get burned and the rules will change.

I just picked up a Sparco Sprint 6 Bi-Color for $399 to replace my FIA 1986 suit that the SCCA decided is not worthy after 2008. I was going to wait, but the sale price was far less than what I planned to budget after this year. It is so much lighter than my old Sparco and much softer too. Its got both the FIA 2000 and SFI tag. Very good deals are out there if you look around. OG had plenty of sizes and colors last I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    * Bugle Blowing* da da da da */Bugle Blowing* sounds like a job for RSI.

Couldn't help myself.
    Dittttttttto.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by spdmonkey View Post
    I just picked up a Sparco Sprint 6 Bi-Color for $399 to replace my FIA 1986 suit that the SCCA decided is not worthy after 2008. I was going to wait, but the sale price was far less than what I planned to budget after this year. It is so much lighter than my old Sparco and much softer too. Its got both the FIA 2000 and SFI tag. Very good deals are out there if you look around. OG had plenty of sizes and colors last I looked.
    Spdmonkey, I just checked their website and they have that suit in my size. Is it actually a Sprint 6? The website just calls it a Sprint bi-color. Does it have the 360 degree sleeve attachment? It is hard to tell from the pictures? Does your suit look just like the one pictured?

I have also found a Sparco Sponsor 6 for $499.00. That makes it $100.00 more than the Sprint Bi-Color. I was told that the Sponsor 6 is lighter weight therefore cooler. The sponsor 6 does not have 360 degree sleeves. Does anyone have experience with both suits? Is the Sponsor 6 worth a hundred more?

One salesman that I talked with also recommended the G-Force 545, he said it was a real nice suit. But for about the same money I can get a Sparco that is FIA rated, which I found out is a higher fire rating than a SFI-5.

Thanks for this post - I just scored on a Sparco on clearance at OG:026:

Anybody want an old heavyweight two layer simpson?
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

I just ordered a Sparco Sprint 06 Bicolor in red/white. I ended up ordering mine from UPR.com because I read on the OG site that clearance items are none returnable. UPR has a much better return policy and they sold me the suit for $399.00. I can tell you more once I get it. I sure hope it fits! Thanks spdmonkey for turning me on to the Sparco's for $400.00.
    Last edited by arpenn; 02-06-2008 at 04:57 PM.

If your brother or brother-in-law (I can't remember from the other post) is still looking for a bunch of gear, the VARA racing website has a member selling all his stuff CHEAP!

1. Bell M2 full face Helmet - SA2000 - Large with carring bag.
    1. G Force - driving suit 3-2a/s three layer nomex ( red and black with
    white stripes around arms.)
    1. Balaclava nomex 12-03
    2pr. Nomex socks.
    1pr. Worth high top driving shoes - Size 9 (Black 3.3/5.
    1pr. Auto Pro driving gloves( Black 8-01)
    1. Neck collar (Red 12-03.)
    1pr. Arm restraints (Black)
    1. Mattac - Hutchens device.
    1. Gear bag (black)

Asking 300.00 O.B.O.