Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: let's define "remote reservoir" dampers...

My interpretation of Prod would be they aren't allowed, GT maybe.

More importantly I think you are getting to hung up on the active suspension example. The point is if the rules say shocks are unrestricted we have no real idea what people would come up.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rowe View Post
    You're missing the point with your examples. Spending a couple hundred extra on wheels for a couple tenths advantage or same thing with the rest of your examples. But you open up shocks to anything that mounts to the stock points and it won't be a difference in tenths. The difference will be measured in a lot more than that.

Go find active dampers for IT? Under an anything goes rule all we have to do is wait a couple years and someone will have them. It's like going back in time 10 years and asking for a Motec in a stock ECU box. They didn't exist then but we are still dealing with the fallout from that particular rule change. No one anticipated that effect when the rule was changed and the change wasn't even as open as you propose.

Allowing remote reservoirs now is one thing, but anything that mounts to the stock points is asking for trouble that no one can even guess at.
    No I am not missing the point. The person that will spend that kind of money can spend it in dozens of other places, and the results may be more than tenths when they are added up (assuming he can drive).

You hung active suspensions out there as a worst case for any shock that mounts to stock points. There are, to my knowledge, no systems of this type that are currently offered for cars that are classified in IT. There are, to my knowledge, no systems of this type being used in any SCCA class, including those that allow any shock. To do this someone would have to go to Bose or someone similar that has developed and tested concept systems, and spend several times what a winning IT car costs to develop a system.

1. That is unlikely
    2. If someone IS willing to do that, they will still outspend us all several times over and have a car capable of seconds more per lap than the average racer.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

OK - I just saw what I was missing.

I keep thinking in terms of today, and today's technology. What is unknown, is what technology might develop in the future that cannot been forseen today.

So Matt is right.

'any passive damper that mounts to the stock locations' is my new suggestionl
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I can't believe this is coming back up and in the other direction. We had this discussion on RR shocks eight years ago. And it was pretty heated if I remember. Actually downright insulting at times. Where's George? He should be here for this!

Where's ShockTek gone to, Keith? I might need their number for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    I can't believe this is coming back up and in the other direction. We had this discussion on RR shocks eight years ago. And it was pretty heated if I remember. Actually downright insulting at times. Where's George? He should be here for this!

Where's ShockTek gone to, Keith? I might need their number for next year.

Care to further explain what you mean for those that weren't around that long ago?

For everyone's info, my letter finally got in today. It appears that if you send something to the crb with a .gif as an attachment, it doesn't go through as was the case when I sent it in on the 15th.

For those following along, here is a picture of the OE damper from the Honda service manual. I had to convert it to a .jpeg and manually send it to John Bauer. I hope to see something in the April Fastrack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Jeff,
    RR shocks were legal and voted out. We were all younger and used more colorful phrasology.
    I think we had a thread locked at one time, I don't remember. You could probably look in the archives. There was a trend towards preventing really high-end shock setups coming into IT.
    $3000+ a corner setups. There were some less costly setups but there was a real fear of making IT too costly for entry level. On the flip side, if you have the money and are willing to spend it, there is a real high development cost in purchasing and testing multiple shock setups for tracks and conditions. It was kind of like the pre-ECU mod era. No chips, nothing except modified sensors, trying to prevent high end motronic style ECU's. 'Till pandora's box got opened. It all gets worked around somehow anyhow, and then the rules change again.

Shocktek had a really nice, relatively reasonably priced setup for 240z's. Multiple adjustables with modified upside down Bilstein inserts (I think) and remote reservoirs. I believe Shocktek's owner moved on to other things years ago.

Tom

For the people who are so worried about price, you should really REALLY check out the current market.

For example, 2812 koni double adjustable shocks for most 88-00 honda and acura models are just over $4,000. Double adjustable moton shocks for the same car are $4,400.

The 3 way motons go for just under $7000, the 4 way motons are above right around $10,000. For a set of 2822s, konis 4 way adjustable, you are looking at $11,000.

Then there comes another issue. But let me say this first. I LOVE koni products, and 99% of people who race IT wont really know what to do or be able to get the advantages of anything above a double adjustable shock.

Moton, and JRZ (whos pricing is pretty much identical) are MUCH MUCH more willing to do custom apllications. Koni is very reluctant, and in strut applications REALLY reluctant, to do custom applications.

Greg Amy, and many other strut orphaned cars, wouldn't have to run inserts any more. Moton and JRZ will make you a complete strut body.

IMO it is time to get rid of the RR rule in IT racing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    Koni is very reluctant, and in strut applications REALLY reluctant, to do custom applications...Greg Amy, and many other strut orphaned cars, wouldn't have to run inserts any more. Moton and JRZ will make you a complete strut body.
    I agree with your sentiment. However, a minor correction: Koni will *ONLY* sell you 2817s if they do the fabrication on the struts/tabs. They will no longer sell the 2817 un-built; they were getting too many of them hacked up and done incorrectly.

Unfortunately, at $1400-1600 per corner they're WAY outside any reasonable probability of being on any car I own/race, regardless of the RR rule... - GA