Thread: '85 Omni GLH-Turbo

Default '85 Omni GLH-Turbo

Presuming the car meets all current SCCA Club Racing safety regs, would anyone care to hazard a guess how many SCCA Divisions might allow an SCCA ProRally prepped & log booked, Rally America-legal 1985 Dodge Omni GLH-Turbo Group 5 car to run in ITE? I have no interest in chasing a Divisional title, accumulating more trophies or anything beyond exercising the most cost-effective way to keep up with the activity requirements of my license. I understand ITE has become something of a catch-all that was created so cars prepped for endurance series could play in Club Racing, but I could be wrong. If nothing else, stage rallying certainly is an endurance contest!

Thanks!
    M. E. "Mad Mike" Halley
    '03 SCCA ProRally Production Champ
    '01 SCCA ClubRally Production Champ
    '96 COMMA ProStock-A Champ (Hallett)
    http://www.realautosport.com/younameit.htm

You're totally at the mercy of your local region's ITE rules, Mike. They differ a lot from place to place so get in touch with your regional club racing folks and check the rulebook.

K

They'll let them run in MiDiv. At least they let an RA prepped Jeep truck run 2 years ago at GIR in ITE. Of course, it helped that the driver is very well known and has tons of experiance at GIR. I would think that an Omni would go through a little easier than a Jeep Commanche

As long as it has the kill switch, tow eyes and proper markings, you should be good to go.0
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Thanks Scott & Kirk! Fulfilling the few mechanical requirement differences tween IT (Jim Lill mentioned SPO) and Rally America is no great shakes and since I've been circulating Hallett since I was caretaker of the property the first two full seasons it was open (mid 70s) I reckon I have that track down cold (even the rally car shortcut I created hanging a right at 7 to blast through two gates and a chunk of the little used infield rather than negotiating The Bitch, after dark!).

I feared that venturing outside MiDiv might lead to just what Kirk mentioned so I thought I'd ask. Now, if the CRB will just implement my request to add my Peltor full face (along with other BS6658:85 Type A/FR hats) to the list of helmets legal for Club Racing I may be back WTW racing again this year.
    M. E. "Mad Mike" Halley
    '03 SCCA ProRally Production Champ
    '01 SCCA ClubRally Production Champ
    '96 COMMA ProStock-A Champ (Hallett)
    http://www.realautosport.com/younameit.htm