Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ITR Integra Type-R

We will see. I need to figure out how to drive the thing to its potential. It will be my first front driver so between getting it set up and figuring out how to drive it I will have my work cut out for me.
    1985 Toyota MR2 #76 ITA SEDIV SOLD...

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S ITR work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Means nothing James ... you have to look at track records. In '06, we ran 1:31s in our T2 Subarus at Willow Springs, and the fastest T2 car was in the 1:30s. Obviously that T1 driver was not exactly flying.

Another example ... I was even closer than John was to a T1 Corvette at Infineon last year in the ITR car:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=643230

If you watch my in-car video from that race, I was on his butt the whole time, except, of course, on the straights. And this was when I still had the stock exhaust and cats and muffler!
    Hey Josh,

If you check here:

http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/ar...ec03_25_07.htm

John holds the record in ITS at 1:31.648 and ITR at 1:31.384, where as T2 is held by David Shotz at 1:32.785. I think John's already mostly there before the SIR debacle, and is back. But I saw he just ran in ITS last weekend.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

James, those records aren't right for T2. Check out the following:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=271080

The #75 and #23 were both faster than 1:32.785 in qualifying -- both on that same weekend that they show Schotz's record (from the race). Does CalClub not include qualifying sessions for track records?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

None of the SCCA Regions up here recognize qual times for track records that I can think of....
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Interesting. I didn't know that. San Francisco Region maintains both qualifying and race records. It's about 50-50 about whether the qualifying record is faster than the race record.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    James, those records aren't right for T2. Check out the following:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=271080

The #75 and #23 were both faster than 1:32.785 in qualifying -- both on that same weekend that they show Schotz's record (from the race). Does CalClub not include qualifying sessions for track records?
    Well Josh,

I surfed mylaps and the cal-club site, and I've only seen lap records set during a race. So down here, as far as the record book's are concerned, it's only what happens during the race.

I checked out your vid of following the vette. I think you know how I felt following Aaron Baily's Pontiac around, only he was in my class so our battle, brief as it was, was for a podium. I've got to rebuild for ITR and get out of ITE.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So down here, as far as the record book's are concerned, it's only what happens during the race.
    Too bad. Conditions were awful for us during that race, with crazy-strong winds and cold temps -- it was much nicer in the morning sessions. That was the only time that we all went to WS in T2.

Aaron was very fun to race against when he was in T2. I have some great video from Thunderhill of him saving some serious slides ... good driver, nice kid.
    Last edited by JoshS; 01-30-2008 at 02:08 AM.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Regarding the Toyota, interesting, veeeery interesting....
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-30-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

It is. The Lotus guys (same engine) don't see numbers like that from intake and exhaust, in fact most exhaust and intake other than stock lose a bit of power (from 160ish at the wheels). 185 is STRONG.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The motor is from a junkyard I bought it for $1500.00. 185 whp seems to be what other people are getting if you look on the new Celica websites. It is actually spot on what I was hoping for, when I decided to go with a Celica.

The sad thing is that It is actually down quite a bit compared with what a type-R engine of exactly the same size makes (197 whp) and a 2.0 Liter K20 in the RSX (220-230 whp). My original point was that it is in line with the HP to weight of the other cars in the class, even if they are severly down on torque, and not quite the underdog everyone thinks they are. Look at how well the type-r's faired against the bmw's in world touring.
    Last edited by pimpm3; 01-30-2008 at 03:29 PM.

BUT..........keep in mind World Touring rules and cars are VERY different form IT! First, teh engine rules are different for EACh car, and are often negotiated over through the years, or even months. Where one car may be allowed to run a certain cam, while another may have to stick with stock, and so on.

Secondly, the cars run sequential transmissions in many cases, and even though they carry a weight penalty, team members have opined they are a performance advantage, (for some cars more than others) not just a reliabilty issue.

And, the weights on World touring cars are in constant flux..

In other words, the administration adjusts the classes on a dynamic and constant basis, slowing certain cars and speeding others up...the results you see are not comparable to the "real world" or IT.

that said, I would LOVE to see a Celica duking it out with a E46!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

me thinks you have an optimistic dyno operator.

197whp from an ITR in IT trim? seriously?

195*.83=162 in stock form.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

197whp from an ITR in IT trim? seriously?

195*.83=162 in stock form.
    Actually stock ones usually put down between 175-180

As far as the 197WHP It is my friends car It has a hondata ECU, a DC Header, a cold air intake, and a 2.5 Inch exhaust. That is all it has done to it.

The dyno is a dyno dynamics which are very highly regarded. Here is a link to their specifications page. http://www.dyno.com.au/dyno/controll...AWD450DSQRPage

One would think that numbers are pretty high but I checked it with a 1/4 mile calculator thing online http://robrobinette.com/et.htm. The times were all with in 1 tenth of what the car actually ran.
    Last edited by pimpm3; 01-30-2008 at 06:36 PM.

I owned a 1996 GSR from new until 2007 (sniff) it was a great car....and once you own a Honda 4 cylinder, you're spoiled for life...the shifter, the silkiness of the engine, the beating it took and kept on asking...stock 8k RPM meant I visited it often (the 118lbs-ft helps motivate you). I replaced a radiator, the ignition components regularly, oil pan gasket, and the speakers which after 10 years were a bit buzzy. The leather seats and interior were perfect still. The red paint was a bit faded and dinged. I also replaced the suspension with a Koni Sport coilover kit with adjustable shocks (in 2006). It only had 107k miles and I sold it for $3500...which is a gift, but it went to a good home.

The biggest problem with these cars are the brakes. Driving a Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver now...wow! What a difference...but I miss the 8k RPM redline, and the shifter...the 280lbs-ft helps make up for most of it though.

Back on topic...IIRC the Type R was much more of a race car for the street than the later models. I believe the 97 didn't come with A/C or a radio, and very little if any sound dampening, but I think the rest of the car is the same as the other models except for minor difference.

Type R vs. GSR
    Moly coated pistons
    Stiffer valve springs
    steeper cams
    body bracing
    Torsen
    + of course the aforementioned blueprinting, porting, and polishing done by the factory.

I agree that the car will probably never see the standard IT gains and will be an underdog in ITR, and probably belongs in ITS as a "turnkey" racer. Keep in mind that to go from 170HP in the GSR to the 19x in the Type R they had to do all the above things & the redline went from 8k RPM to 9k RPM, AND it lost 1lbs-ft with the mods. Having said all that, there's no reason the 97 shouldn't be listed.