Thread: Ballast Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ballast Question

I am a little light and need to add ballast.

My thoughts are to make an easily changeable ballast rather than using solid lead bars.
    The idea is to use a heavy metal conatiner( a military surplus ammo can) filled with lead shot, which you can add or subtract as necessary. This would be bolted to the floor of the car like any other ballast, with another safey bolt through the lid for added security.
    Besides this being easy to change or adjust, I think it would be safer than a solid bar because the shot would absorb some of its own energy within the can in the event of an accident or overturn.

The GCR states only that it must be securely attached with 1/2" bolts. I don't see any other issues within the GCR.

Any thoughts about the idea or legality?

Thanks,

Todd

So I'm thinkin'... ammo can, half-inch bolts, etc.
    I'm thinkin' you're going to have a hard time making this look like something that really belongs in a race car. Just my opiinion, of course!
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I did that once, worked great. I used a pc of square tubing w/ end caps welded in and a pipe fitting welded on so a threaded cap could go to seal it up. It had tabs welded on which went over the bolts for the passengers seat mount. If it was filled with lead shot I think it could weigh as much as 75#. GCR does state that no one pc can weigh more than 50#, not sure why though.

Now that the minimum weight changed, I don't need it anymore. Hell, you can have it if you if you wanted to come get it, no way I'm shipping it.

Todd, I have about 75 lbs of lead "bread baskets" if needed. I melted down some lead shot in a saucepan, and then poured them into small loaf pans, and made 3 "bricks". I wouldn't suggest doing that again, but I have them if anybody needs some balast. The Wabbit is over-weight now, so I don't need them.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

There are a lot more elegant ways to deal with ballast issues. I wish I had such a problem.

Without the Mickey D's Supersize me solution, things like SS exhaust sytems, accusumps, spare tires and more fuel all come to mind--with more interesting and useful location options.

If you are bound and determined to use your ammo box, it should present no legality issues.

Thanks for the advice and offers!
    Shipping does present a problem for the offers...

I realize that there are probably better looking ways to do this.

My thoughts are that if I lose 25# of left side weight (my New Years' resolution) it sure would be easy to pour 25# of shot in a can.

Thanks again,

Todd

I did it the cheap way. 25# plates from walmart. drill, stack 2 to keep the 50# max per mounting and good to go.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Check the GCR...if I remember correctly, there is a minimum and maximum weight for weight:026: I suspect someone could find fault with lead shot. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!