Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cage photos in Tech Center is it legal?

My brother, my dad and I are getting ready to redo some of the roll cage in our 1990 Honda Civic Si that we just bought. I have been looking at the pictures in the Tech Center of the CRX build which is very similar to our car. My question:Is everything in those pictures ITA legal as far a cage mounting/attachment points, the welded in front strut tower brace, rear pan hard bar, etc? These are great pictures and give me a lot of ideas for our car, I just want to know if they are legal before we copy.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

Aaron, many of us could answer your questions. The best thing you can do for yourself is get out your 2008 GCR, open the GCR to page GCR-93 Roll Cgaes For GT and Production based cars & start reading everything you need to know that's legal. & compare what's written to what you see in the pictures.

For the strut brace & the Panhard bar open the GCR to the ITCS on page GCR-329 and read & understand the rules. Then after you have given yourself the opportunity to learn star asking questions on this forum. For example I could tell you the answer to your Panhard question but that would be somthing someone said, not something in a rule you read & understood. For example for the strut tower brace go to page ITCS GCR-336item .d.5. The rule specifies what you may do but it don't tell you how to do it. Bolt it, glue it, weld it or do it however you like.

Have Fun
    David

David,
    That was clear as mud. I have read the GCR on the cage section, but from what I have been reading on this site about rules interpetation there are many times big disagreements. Can someone look at these pictures and tell me if anything is illegal?
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

David,
    That was clear as mud. I have read the GCR on the cage section, but from what I have been reading on this site about rules interpetation there are many times big disagreements. Can someone look at these pictures and tell me if anything is illegal?
    [/b]
    What is the tech center? Do you have a link to these photos?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I believe the rules state 8 mounting points for the cage. Look at the bulkhead photo - is the floor mount considered as one? Or two? As it appears that there are two additional mounting points at the top of the bulkhead, that would make ten.......

90 ITA Civic - nearly complete
    91 Integra x 2 - TBD
    93 MR2 turbo
    03 Duramax
    08 MS3

Seat mount is not legal...adds another attachment point to the chassis. Strut brace in rear....therefore, cannot have one in front...one only. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

So in the attached photo, is this considered one attachement point or four?

So in the attached photo, is this considered one attachement point or four?
    [/b]
    If all the pipes touch one or another it is definitely one per NASA CCR.

If all the pipes touch a single plate not more that 144" sq, it is definitely one per SCCA GCR.
    Jim Politi

Done some racin'.

So if these are welded together then to the car does this count as one plate?

Look at the bulkhead photo - is the floor mount considered as one? Or two? As it appears that there are two additional mounting points at the top of the bulkhead, that would make ten.......
    [/b]
    Each mounting plate should be no more than 144" sq. If more it is two mounting points.
    See the GCR rules for more info and details.
    Jim Politi

Done some racin'.

So as long as it is not bigger than 144 sq. in. then the mounting plate can be multiple pieces, like the one in the photo and still count as one? I just want to make sure I understand this before we start changing our cage. Thanks for your input.

and don't forget you need door bars

Yea, we are planning to do our door bars like the ones pictured below. Thanks for the reminder though!

Yea, I am planning to do my door bars like the ones pictured below. Thanks for the reminder though!
    [/b]
    Put some foot bars in while you're there.........

Aaron, many of us could answer your questions. The best thing you can do for yourself is get out your 2008 GCR, open the GCR to page GCR-93 Roll Cgaes For GT and Production based cars & start reading everything you need to know that's legal. & compare what's written to what you see in the pictures.

David
    [/b]

Since when do IT cars have to meet the GT/Prod cage rules?
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Since when do IT cars have to meet the GT/Prod cage rules?
    [/b]
    in the 2008 GCR rewrite they are covered in the same section of the book.

David is right.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Seat mount is not legal...adds another attachment point to the chassis. Strut brace in rear....therefore, cannot have one in front...one only. Chuck
    [/b]
    That car does not have a rear strut brace. It has one cage attachment point at each rear shock tower.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Put some foot bars in while you're there.........

[/b]
    But only ONE on each side. See the GCR rules.
    Jim Politi

Done some racin'.

Jim is that picture an example of what is right, or what is wrong?

It looks right to me, an those two tubes go to a single mounting point.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com