Thread: Just purchased ITA/H4 Civic Si

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If I am not mistaken I believe our car has drums, but I will double check tonight. I will also try to post some pictures this weekend if I get a chance. How difficult is it to remove the dash in a civic? We are going to be rebuilding part of the roll cage and adding a bar inside the dash that will connect both front down tubes on the cage, so the dash will have to come out. On the roll cage there are some stickers, I assume inspection stickers, do these have to stay on the cage? We will also be adding some additional bracing on the cage. One area that needs a reinforcing bar is from the roof halo to the main roll bar and it will attach where the stickers are located. We will also be repainting the interior and cage so we need to remove them for that as well. Can someone help us out here?
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

If I am not mistaken I believe my car has drums, but I will double check tonight. I will also try to post some pictures this weekend if I get a chance. How difficult is it to remove the dash in a civic? We are going to be rebuilding part of the roll cage and adding a bar inside the dash that will connect both front down tubes on the cage, so the dash will have to come out. On the roll cage there are some stickers, I assume inspection stickers, do these have to stay on the cage? I will also be adding some additional bracing on the cage. One area that needs a reinforcing bar is from the roof halo to the main roll bar and it will attach where the stickers are located. We will also be repainting the interior and cage so I need to remove them for that as well. Can someone help me out here?
    [/b]

Dash is not that difficult. Remove all the little panels and glove box and you'll find the bolts you need.

I can't answer for NASA, all myk experience is SCCA. SCCA doesn't have any stickers. Your cage should be stamped with a number that matches the log book. So you shouldn't have to worry about the stickers. In theory though if the stickers are some certificate then you may need to get it re-certified since you are making changes.

Well I am the cage guy, I am a J.H. shop teacher so I will be making the modifications myself. A friend of mine ownes a limo shop and has a hydraulic tubing/exhaust bender that I can use.

So where exactly would you connect to the firewall?

I also have been looking at the pictures in the Tech Center of the CRX build. Is everything in those pictures ITA legal as far a cage mounting/attachment points, the welded in front strut tower brace, etc? These are great pictures and give me a lot of ideas for my car, I just want to know if they are legal before I copy.
    [/b]
    Read the section on cages in teh GCR first. THings may have changed since that build, but teh good book will save you.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures