Any help from the 944 crowd on this one?
I just finished putting a new clutch (+ pressure plate, TO bearing, TO guide, pilot bearing, fork shaft, and fork bearings) into my fun car (89 944 S2). I did the work carefully following the manual procedure (Ooof that was painful), and now my car sounds different...it now has the classic beetle rasp to it.
It seems to run fine, but I'm reluctant to romp on it until I identify the sound--any suggestions out there?
Pertinent facts:
-Car ran fine when it went into my garage with violent shuddering when letting the clutch out.
-Car was on jack stands for 4 months before I got to it (long story)-battery ground disconnected entire time.
-Clutch problem was a detonated pilot bearing that spilt it's balls and cage into the cluth bits. Disk and plate were fine (but replaced anyways), TO guide was worn, TO bearing sounds dry but spun easily.
-Included in the process were removing the exhaust, unplugging the O2 sensor, and removing the reference mark sensor.
-No issues with disassembly and re-assembly of any components.
-Battery dead. Overnight charge and car would crank ~1 revolution and all lights go dim. New battery and car started first try. The alarm didn't even complain!!!
-Car goes well (didn't rev over 3k or use more than 50% throttle). Brakes feel like they take more force than I remember.

BUT, car sounds like a beetle (actually a little deeper, like a 2.0l Vanagon)
Makes the noise stationary or moving. Changes with revs, stationary or moving. No backfire on deceleration.

I felt around the exhaust flanges as best I could, and don't feel any gas leaks.
Using an auto stethescope, I can NOT pinpoint a noise source (listened to all four exhaust runners, intake runners, 8 spots on valve cover, balance shaft housings, water pump, alternator, bell housing, and starter. I did not listen to the torque tube.

HELP. Any suggestions welcome. I'm a rotor head, so these piston thingies confuse me!

Thanks,

Tak
#29 ITA Rx-7
SFR SCCA