Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open ECU Rule

Anyone offering thoughts conerning the new ECU rule change? 95 LS TEG - OBD I - Thoughts?

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

We're going through the same thought process on the GS-R, Tim. The car currently runs the factory ECU with a socketed chip, and Jeremy has been using a Moates burner and software to tune it.

However, we're going to need a real-time solution, so that we can make changes on the fly, especially on the dyno. That means we either add a ROMulator, such as "Ostrich", which emulates the ROM info so we can dynamically change it; or we go to an existing real-time solution such as the HonData S300.

You could always develop/buy a standalone solution. AEM (http://www.aempower.com/) already offers a Plug n' Play EMS system, but be prepared to bend over. I have given casual thought to assisting DIYAutoTune in Georgia (http://www.diyautotune.com/) in developing a PnP MegaSquirt system. Speaking of bending over, of course there's MoTec...

Honestly, though, I'm fairly convinced that I.T. cars work perfectly fine with either modified stock ECUs (e.g., HonData) or simple aftermarket systems (e.g., MegaSquirt). We don't need all the features that most of the high-end systems offer, and frankly very few of us are capable - or even motivated enough - to use those features.

We're going to likely start with the Ostrich ROMulator addition to the chipped factory ECU, or *maybe* go with the HonData S300. At the same time I'm going to investigate the idea of a MegaDquirt system with Jerry at DIY.

Unless someone else is writing the checks, there's just no way I'll bother with AEM or MoTec.

GA

I was thinking the HonData route. I was just wondering what others were thinking.

Next stop after "freshening my face", the dyno.

FYI - I picked up a "clone" TEG on e-Bay yesterday. What do the rules say about updating/backdating body parts? I know there were subtle changes to the newer TEGs.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

What do the rules say about updating/backdating body parts?[/b]
    Same spec line? knock yourself out.

If you would be willing to part with a '98 nose in exchange for a spare '95, I'm interested. I'd like to consider using an airdam that Carpenter has for sale, but it only fits '98s. - GA

We're going through the same thought process on the GS-R, Tim. The car currently runs the factory ECU with a socketed chip, and Jeremy has been using a Moates burner and software to tune it.

However, we're going to need a real-time solution, so that we can make changes on the fly, especially on the dyno. That means we either add a ROMulator, such as "Ostrich", which emulates the ROM info so we can dynamically change it; or we go to an existing real-time solution such as the HonData S300.

You could always develop/buy a standalone solution. AEM (http://www.aempower.com/) already offers a Plug n' Play EMS system, but be prepared to bend over. I have given casual thought to assisting DIYAutoTune in Georgia (http://www.diyautotune.com/) in developing a PnP MegaSquirt system. Speaking of bending over, of course there's MoTec...

Honestly, though, I'm fairly convinced that I.T. cars work perfectly fine with either modified stock ECUs (e.g., HonData) or simple aftermarket systems (e.g., MegaSquirt). We don't need all the features that most of the high-end systems offer, and frankly very few of us are capable - or even motivated enough - to use those features.

We're going to likely start with the Ostrich ROMulator addition to the chipped factory ECU, or *maybe* go with the HonData S300. At the same time I'm going to investigate the idea of a MegaDquirt system with Jerry at DIY.

Unless someone else is writing the checks, there's just no way I'll bother with AEM or MoTec.

GA
    [/b]
    Greg - there is no benefit to going to MegaSquirt. The Hondata or Crome has everything that you need to tune with and more. Don't waste your time. The honda market has already been defined and has a ton of options, many are free!

Tim - I can explain Honda ECU's in much more detail if you would like just give me a ring.
    Jeremy Billiel

Tim,

Are you telling us that your car has no ECU tuning? Serra MUST have tweaked on that thing with HonData...if not, we are all in BIG trouble!!!!!!!!

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Tim,

Are you telling us that your car has no ECU tuning? Serra MUST have tweaked on that thing with HonData...if not, we are all in BIG trouble!!!!!!!!

[/b]
    Andy - I think what I am really saying is that this country is ready for a women President.

I think it's safe to say that I haven't tuned our ECU to the same degree as our current infamous NARRC Champion. I just felt it was time to check in with my Honda product brothers and sisters, and find out what they might be thinking. Safe to say I have a ways to go to catch up with you, your level of tuning and the rule change - that's all - you set a new standard for us to follow. Thought it was time to check in - keeping in mind you are way quicker than I am - at least that what my time sheets are telling me - I think it's time for me to get going and not continue to be complacent. BIG trouble - I don't think so.

You gotta realize it's not unlike me to wait until April 12th before we start to get ready and have been know to not start racing until August. This is new ground for me - very exciting.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

[email protected]

Don't waste your time. The honda market has already been defined...[/b]
    OK, so what my illustrious teammate is telling me that it's "all figured out" and there's nothing left to learn. That "if I only had a brain" I'd simply look around, see what others have done, and copy that.

"Kakashi" Racing, indeed...

http://www.kakashiracing.com/team.html

OK, so what my illustrious teammate is telling me that it's "all figured out" and there's nothing left to learn. That "if I only had a brain" I'd simply look around, see what others have done, and copy that.

[/b]
    I sooo knew that was coming!
    Jeremy Billiel

I sooo knew that was coming!
    [/b]
    me too!

Saw it a mile away!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jeremy, maybe I can enlist your expertise with my ECU too? I imagine that I'd have to change it from OBD0 to OBD1 first? Unfortunately that's not a quick and easy change.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Jeremy, maybe I can enlist your expertise with my ECU too? I imagine that I'd have to change it from OBD0 to OBD1 first? Unfortunately that's not a quick and easy change.
    [/b]
    No it is not.... I don't think it will be worth your time and it would be illegal to change your distributor, etc
    Jeremy Billiel

keeping in mind you are way quicker than I am - at least that what my time sheets are telling me -

[/b]
    WOW, was that a shot about his skills?? <insert gas on fire icon> Timmy talkin&#39; trash, I like it!!

OK, so what my illustrious teammate is telling me that it&#39;s "all figured out" and there&#39;s nothing left to learn. That "if I only had a brain" I&#39;d simply look around, see what others have done, and copy that.

[/b]
    Must.....refrain......from......busting......on .........Jeremy..........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It&#39;s - soooooo - hard -to - resist....

Just give up. You might feel a bit cheap, but jeeez, it&#39;s not like he doesn&#39;t ask...no, beg for it, is it?
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

You are reading way to far into this comment. I am simply saying that the Honda is not a one-off Nissan with no aftermarket support. The ECU&#39;s for Honda&#39;s have been cracked for years with limitless options ranging from free to very expensive. My current configuration is the best of all the worlds with a real time emulator or Hondata (One in the same) just different free software used.

What changes to make to the fuel maps, timing, etc is where the money is. IMO there is no value in going with a custom MegaQuirt with no obvious advantage over what I already have. I will be happy to be proved wrong, but I very highly doubt it...

I realize that I have now motivated Greg to prove me wrong which is a bad thing! LOL :P :P

Oh and I have read 16 books on ECU tuning as well!!!! So back off

HAHAHAHAHHAAAAA
    Jeremy Billiel

Here we go. Letting Tim lead a conversation about his plans, and level of development. The Mark Twain (or is it Samuel Clemens) of the New England racing scene.

Let&#39;s see Tim....

Is that ECU going in the "For Sale" Teg or the Mitsubishi Eclipse....or maybe it&#39;s the Micro Sprint to really kick the local dirt guys butts......

Inquiring minds want to know.....

R

It just dawned on me it&#39;s for the toter.....
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Hey, in Tim&#39;s trade, not getting too attached to any decision is a good thing, as clients change their mind 5 times a day on the color of the paint they want on their kitchen walls!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

WOW, was that a shot about his skills?? <insert gas on fire icon> Timmy talkin&#39; trash, I like it!!
    Must.....refrain......from......busting......on .........Jeremy..........
    [/b]
    You know I hold Andy&#39;s driving abilities in the highest regard - The comment was totally targeted at his committment to developemnt, which I also admire - Don&#39;t start trouble Jeff The only trash talk I can offer on driving skills might be my own - Does anyone have an extra set of "manhood" for me?

Here we go. Letting Tim lead a conversation about his plans, and level of development. The Mark Twain (or is it Samuel Clemens) of the New England racing scene.

Let&#39;s see Tim....

Is that ECU going in the "For Sale" Teg or the Mitsubishi Eclipse....or maybe it&#39;s the Micro Sprint to really kick the local dirt guys butts......
    Inquiring minds want to know.....
    R

It just dawned on me it&#39;s for the toter.....
    [/b]
    Doc - The bright penny. - You da man my broher! Stay tuned to the classifieds though (no kidding here) for some used TEG equipment that will be posted soon. I referrenced "freshening my face" but it&#39;s starting to look like a "facelift."

Hey, in Tim&#39;s trade, not getting too attached to any decision is a good thing, as clients change their mind 5 times a day on the color of the paint they want on their kitchen walls!
    [/b]
    Thanks for watching my back Jake. As far as client changing their mind on color, I defer to CPM&#39;s Carol Miller - That&#39;s one girl that can work a fandeck - Carol?

Jeremy - Who let all these other kids in our sand box. I will touch base with you this week - PM me you phone number.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

[email protected]

You know I hold Andy&#39;s driving abilities in the highest regard - The comment was totally targeted at his committment to developemnt, which I also admire - Don&#39;t start trouble Jeff The only trash talk I can offer on driving skills might be my own - Does anyone have an extra set of "manhood" for me?
    Doc - The bright penny. - You da man my broher! Stay tuned to the classifieds though (no kidding here) for some used TEG equipment that will be posted soon. I referrenced "freshening my face" but it&#39;s starting to look like a "facelift."
    Thanks for watching my back Jake. As far as client changing their mind on color, I defer to CPM&#39;s Carol Miller - That&#39;s one girl that can work a fandeck - Carol?

Jeremy - Who let all these other kids in our sand box. I will touch base with you this week - PM me you phone number.
    [/b]
    Love that fandeck!
    But it is a woman&#39;s perogative to change her mind...

Shall I tell how many color samples I requested in order to paint my kitchen &#39;integra red&#39; ?
    Carol Miller
    CPM Motorsports
    ITA - Civic Si #11
    ITC - CRX #11
    ITA - Integra #11

Jeremy, maybe I can enlist your expertise with my ECU too? I imagine that I&#39;d have to change it from OBD0 to OBD1 first? Unfortunately that&#39;s not a quick and easy change.
    [/b]
    I think TurboEdit is supposed to be pretty decent for OBD0 ECU&#39;s although I&#39;m not sure what non-Civic engine applications are available...

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear