Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IT7 in the Northeast

At Waterford Hills we seemed to have always had a pretty good turnout for IT7 right up until last year. They are fun and cheap, cheap, cheap to buy, maintain, and drive. There are several that are successful locally here(Rich Millers CenDiv championship car, Bruce Wentzels Waterford championship car, and Bob Cross's #99 that held(hold's?)track records at several CenDiv tracks in IT7) that will be coming up for sale(probably in the $3400 to $4500 range). Keep your eyes open for these in the classifieds in the not too distant future or shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch with the owners.
    Greg Blastic
    Lookin' for a new one!
    '86 RX7 ITS w/'89 Drivetrain Sold!
    ITS #5 GSLSE(still goin' strong) Sold!
    IT7 Project( now complete!!) Sold!
    Waterford Hills Regular
    Occasional GLD
    Howell, MI

a question of curiosity, so if someone was looking to get invovled in racing(the racing part of it-I already flag) would the IT-7 class would be a good starting point? I had originally thought of ITC, but the numbers seem to be getting smaller(plus i am a fan of Mazdas) so this class seems interesting and the prices for cars is around my ballpark. Can anyone offer any more info in regards to issues for the vehicle and maintanence and stuff( I know it is a little off topic but I am new so forgive me)
    control is just an illusion

Quote Originally Posted by ronin12 View Post
    a question of curiosity, so if someone was looking to get invovled in racing(the racing part of it-I already flag) would the IT-7 class would be a good starting point? I had originally thought of ITC, but the numbers seem to be getting smaller(plus i am a fan of Mazdas) so this class seems interesting and the prices for cars is around my ballpark. Can anyone offer any more info in regards to issues for the vehicle and maintanence and stuff( I know it is a little off topic but I am new so forgive me)

Not so much the class, IT whatever, but the RX-7 has been a favorite among newbies due to the fact that they are fairly inexpensive to purchase and to maintain, and are a lot of fun to drive. There is always some loyalty, almost a cult, amongst 7's drivers which makes the group helpful to one another, wether it means sharing info or a needed part. The 7 still has my vote, not only as a starter car, but since there is IT7, u can run the thing forever now that there is a light at the end of the tunnel to shoot for.
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

Ron I think it would be a good place to start. Even with the car in ITA it was a good choice. As you said the cars are fairly priced and the knowledge base is there. This may be one of the most thoughly developed car in IT. The guys who race them are free with advice. There are I think 4 guys in Ct who are regularly racing them, plus I am just a mile from the line.
    Parts are getting a little harder as the cars get older but some of us have been hording parts cars.
    There are some maintenance items, but they are well known. You will become a whiz at repacking front bearings and checking brakes. Good motors are not cheap but last a long time.
    If you want to stop up to my shop sometime (near Springfield) and go over one of our cars let me know.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

thanks for the input. I wanted to stick with a mazda(have a couple) and thought about the spec miata or even the ita miata but have found those cars to be a little further from my price range. This season i plan on reading a book put out by a fellow forum member, crewing for a friend who is running in spu to learn the daily things during an event and start saving my pennies.
    Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it, either that or at one of the events might stop by your paddock area. I will be doing a lot more research this year.
    control is just an illusion

Ron,
    Plus, the ITA guys in the Northeast are a good group of guys. One of the most competitive in the country but GREAT people. You'll get plenty of help and support at the track and a bunch of us in central CT.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place