Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IT7 in the Northeast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I heard that IT7 is now a reality in the Northeast. Haven't seen any topics on this as yet. If it is so, then its about time. Too bad this was not adopted about six years ago when there was a plethora of 7's competing for mid pack bragging rights in ITA. That was a great time mind you. I only know of a few drivers that are still driving 7's, and a couple more that still have their 7's but are planning, or are already doing something else. Question is, should we expect to see a few more 7's get dusted off, pulled out of the barn, reverted back from being a front lawn centerpiece flower pot(redneck humour) , and be put back into action? The big question is, who is planning on running IT7?
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

Just for the record, IT7 is an official NARRC class for 2008 and it will run in the same run group as ITA, SSB, SSC, and T3.

I hope to see 4-5 cars consistantly...we may build one for a crew guy for 2009.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

there are about 6-7 of them that run in the MARRS series. too bad the SRX7's regularly kick their butt...

I know Grant was going to build a different car (some type of car that actually has power?), but with IT7 he'll be staying with the RX7s.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Right now I the regular players are Mike B, Dave F, Lou I, Jake, Grant and Myself. Dave Y had twins in October so I doubt we will see him often this year. Grant is building a second car. Dave F has two spare cars in stock, ex Sandy and ex Dan.

I would expect the first time I get a win 10 people will say “I can beat him and build cars”.

Andy which one of your guys is thinking about it? Let us know if you need anything.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I just wish I knew IT7 was to be a reality, back when these cars were being sold at scrap-rate prices...I think this would be a heck of a fun class.

Now, if we can get Madison Bolden, (my favorite cop evar) to get off his boat and back in his car, and the guy who bought the black RX-7 just to then decide it wasn't competitive enough so he bought an ITA BMW Z3, (Hurry Rob, THAT was a setup for YOU!), and Norm-pushing-up-Latulips on the track, we'd have some fun!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

SE Div boys in IT7 have a lot of fun racing those cars. They wring lap times out of them that are still somewhat competitive in A. Good group, race hard, have fun. Hope it works for you guys in the NEDIv as well.

I co-drove one to my only win with RObert Mitchell at Lowe's in 05. Ton of fun. Once it got wound up, the car would scoot....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

it does look like a fun group. i have raced an SRX7 several times and being able to make all the IT legal mods to the car would make it a blast!

If this were the case a couple of years ago probably would have kept our 1st gen .....but the 2nd gen is a blast drive!!! Our car actually went down south to run in IT7. We did however manage a win at Beaver run due the torential rain storm...I do remember jake at NH a few years ago doing the samething in his 7!

Bill Weaver
    ITS RX7 #63

Dang, yins will all have 4 races in before there is one at my local track(s) [Neslon, BeaveRun].
    300 miles to Pocono or 625 to NHIS, is Pocono worth the drive?

I've been doing some traveling for work, and will be thru the spring, any body ever run at Lowes or Carolina Motorsports Park? I've been to CMP to watch a NASA event, seems interesting if flat on the viewable section.

1st gen Rx7 racer my entire racing career, except an afternoon, and then a 24 hr fling with a dark skinned german.
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!

Lowe's cancelled this year. We like CMP, the back half actually has some elevation change and is fun. Come on down, lots of IT7s show up.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Teaser, two 4:88 LDS............

Guys, if anyone has interest in 1st gen stuff I have a 82 1st gen RX-7 with absoulutly ZERO rust which I had shiped to Wisconsin from Oregon. 3 12A's, 5 transmissions, a couple drive shafts, 6 large axles, 4 doors & a complet front end along wuith some other OEM stuff.

Have Fun
    David

ps: A Miata is reeeeally fun to drive.

We love CMP and have turned a lot of laps there, racing and doing driver's ed. They're almost done with a reconfiguration that should make the second half of the course flow a lot better. Can't wait to run in March or May (or both).
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

So can I run in IT7?

Not interested in bringing my knife to a gunfight if all the other knives have left!
    Last edited by Jake; 02-03-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

If you put an RX7 body on that MR2, maybe they'd let you play. Besides, are you too busy with your drifting?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

At Waterford Hills we seemed to have always had a pretty good turnout for IT7 right up until last year. They are fun and cheap, cheap, cheap to buy, maintain, and drive. There are several that are successful locally here(Rich Millers CenDiv championship car, Bruce Wentzels Waterford championship car, and Bob Cross's #99 that held(hold's?)track records at several CenDiv tracks in IT7) that will be coming up for sale(probably in the $3400 to $4500 range). Keep your eyes open for these in the classifieds in the not too distant future or shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch with the owners.
    Greg Blastic
    Lookin' for a new one!
    '86 RX7 ITS w/'89 Drivetrain Sold!
    ITS #5 GSLSE(still goin' strong) Sold!
    IT7 Project( now complete!!) Sold!
    Waterford Hills Regular
    Occasional GLD
    Howell, MI

a question of curiosity, so if someone was looking to get invovled in racing(the racing part of it-I already flag) would the IT-7 class would be a good starting point? I had originally thought of ITC, but the numbers seem to be getting smaller(plus i am a fan of Mazdas) so this class seems interesting and the prices for cars is around my ballpark. Can anyone offer any more info in regards to issues for the vehicle and maintanence and stuff( I know it is a little off topic but I am new so forgive me)
    control is just an illusion

Quote Originally Posted by ronin12 View Post
    a question of curiosity, so if someone was looking to get invovled in racing(the racing part of it-I already flag) would the IT-7 class would be a good starting point? I had originally thought of ITC, but the numbers seem to be getting smaller(plus i am a fan of Mazdas) so this class seems interesting and the prices for cars is around my ballpark. Can anyone offer any more info in regards to issues for the vehicle and maintanence and stuff( I know it is a little off topic but I am new so forgive me)

Not so much the class, IT whatever, but the RX-7 has been a favorite among newbies due to the fact that they are fairly inexpensive to purchase and to maintain, and are a lot of fun to drive. There is always some loyalty, almost a cult, amongst 7's drivers which makes the group helpful to one another, wether it means sharing info or a needed part. The 7 still has my vote, not only as a starter car, but since there is IT7, u can run the thing forever now that there is a light at the end of the tunnel to shoot for.
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

Ron I think it would be a good place to start. Even with the car in ITA it was a good choice. As you said the cars are fairly priced and the knowledge base is there. This may be one of the most thoughly developed car in IT. The guys who race them are free with advice. There are I think 4 guys in Ct who are regularly racing them, plus I am just a mile from the line.
    Parts are getting a little harder as the cars get older but some of us have been hording parts cars.
    There are some maintenance items, but they are well known. You will become a whiz at repacking front bearings and checking brakes. Good motors are not cheap but last a long time.
    If you want to stop up to my shop sometime (near Springfield) and go over one of our cars let me know.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7