Thread: Trailer Winch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A rule of thumb that I have used- standard fine print applies- the pulling force for a rolling load is around 40 pounds per 1000 pounds of weight. So for a 2000# car that rolls well, it would take about 80# of pulling force to pull it on level ground.
    Based on that, any of the 1500-2500# winches for ATVs should have no problem. I have used a couple Superwinch ATV units on ATV type snowplows and they work very well.

Thanks for the rule of thumb. Now all I need is the money and time to buy and install the winch, supports, battery & box, cables, etc.

Am I having fun yet?
    Tom Sprecher

Just like you, I decided the winch was a good investment in a happy marriage. Much, much cheaper than the divorce that would have resulted from attempts to drive the car on the trailer!

Check the boating supply places. I bought a cheapo manual (no electric) winch rated at 4000 lbs. rolling to pull the Miata onto my open trailer for around $70 with a 35 foot cable. I can bring the car up on the trailer in about two minutes with no problems at all. It's bolted in place with two grade 8 bolts and gets stored inside during the winters, but otherwise has done well exposed to the elements over the last four years or so.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged