Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any one seen these diesel generators?

....snip.....Spend the money....you know you get what you pay for...blah blah blah...
    [/b]
    now Phil, you are the last one that i would expect to be telling us to go with something more expensive cause "you get what you pay for."

you give excellent service, free advice and at a reasonable price, too!
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

neighbor has a noisy generator at night? go turn it off for him. or pull the wire off the spark plug. by the time they get out of their trialer to see why it is off, you are back in yours. repeat a few times and they get the hint.

Noise Rating 65 DB (Tested at 7 meters) that's not loud at all.

average vacuum cleaner = 70 dB,
    avg. lawn mower = 90dB,
    electric shaver= 85dB.
    Bill Johnson

Those ratings are a good example of how numbers and perceived sounds dont always add up. An electric shaver is 5 db less than a lawnmower!?!
    And LOUDER than a vacuum cleaner? Uh...maybe when measured at 1"!

Most of us have heard the Hondas and the Yamahas at the track. They're rated at 51-53 dba. Thats 51 db for my yamaha 3000 watt job, and 53 for Hondas 2000 watt unit, at 1/4 throttle.

Basically, the ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies, so a db at one frequency is not the same as at another frequency, (or mix of frequencies), but...3dB is a "noticible difference" and 10 dB is considered "Double the perceived sound amount". (And for you stereo types, your 50 watt receiver will put out 3 dB more than your friends 25watt unit, not double.)

So, a 65dB unit is nearly four times as loud as a yamaha, all other things (range, reflection, frequency, etc) being equal.

Which means, 70 etc isn't really that quiet.

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

You are absolutely 100% wrong.
    Bill Johnson

Basically, the ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies, so a db at one frequency is not the same as at another frequency, (or mix of frequencies), but...3dB is a "noticible difference" and 10 dB is considered "Double the perceived sound amount". [/b]
    Bingo. "Fletcher-Munson Curves"

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

You are absolutely 100% wrong.
    [/b]
    100% ??? Cite facts.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

To bring this thread shockingly back on target I own an 8K TruLife diesel generator just like the one pictured except in their 'silent' enclosure. It's loud as sh!t. It's a piece of sh!t. It doesn't even make a steady 4.5K. It won't start without heat below 30F. It smokes enough to blacken a 20 sqft area. The metal used to make the castings is more like a sandy play dough. It has broken twice in the dozen or so times I've used it. I hate it every day, even when I don't turn it on.

After only 3 months I am searching for an Onan or similar but also considering a small 3cyl liquid cooled diesel for my own conversion (the electronics on the trucrap are not so bad, it's the engine that blows). The part that stings is that the Trucrap cost 1K and a decent used onan of similar size is 5K. It's well worth it, it just sucks to get your hopes up for 1K and end up spending 6K. I kind of saw it coming but thought it was worth a thousand dollar gamble.

Don't buy it.

Alex

100% ??? Cite facts.
    [/b]
    your not smart.
    Bill Johnson

To bring this thread shockingly back on target I own an 8K TruLife diesel generator just like the one pictured except in their 'silent' enclosure. It's loud as sh!t. It's a piece of sh!t. It doesn't even make a steady 4.5K. It won't start without heat below 30F. It smokes enough to blacken a 20 sqft area. The metal used to make the castings is more like a sandy play dough. It has broken twice in the dozen or so times I've used it. I hate it every day, even when I don't turn it on.
    [/b]
    "So...other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play ?"

After only 3 months I am searching for an Onan or similar but also considering a small 3cyl liquid cooled diesel for my own conversion (the electronics on the trucrap are not so bad, it's the engine that blows). The part that stings is that the Trucrap cost 1K and a decent used onan of similar size is 5K. It's well worth it, it just sucks to get your hopes up for 1K and end up spending 6K. I kind of saw it coming but thought it was worth a thousand dollar gamble.

Don't buy it.

Alex
    [/b]
    Alex
    Can I have it ?
    Give it to me and I'll take it home and be mean to it.
    Bill Johnson

your not smart.
    [/b]
    How about "Fundamentals of Acoustics" Fourth Edition by Kinsler, Frey, Coppens, and Sanders, published by John Wiley?

I say Jake's pretty much got it.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

The issue still remains that any kind of "annoyance" is in the eyes of the beholder, and the recipients are subject to the desires, perceptions, pocketbooks, and selfish/lessness of the person making the generator purchase. Frankly, even the Zen/god-like Honda generators can be extremely annoying if used selfishly/incorrectly, so even THAT doesn't guarantee anything.

Bottom line is paddockmates have absolutely ZERO input into what someone can purchase to use at the track - or how they use it - and until there are legal/regulatory requirements as to what you can/cannot use in the paddock you cannot control it. You can bitch about it. You can make that person's life miserable. You can try to peer-pressure them into not using it/buying something else. You can move to another paddock spot. If you're feeling generous you can even buy them the one you'd prefer they use.

But otherwise you're pretty much at their mercy, so it's best that you use honey long before you try vinegar...

And, really, when it comes down to it, WTF! is so important about AC power at the track for you all to get so bent out of shape about this?

Boy, I love coming over here every once in a while. You guys keep Charlie Priddle's Upper East Coast SMCA image alive into the oughts! Our country's greatest debaters have historically come from HAAHVUD country! Anywhere south of Richmond, there would already be gun play involved in this "loud ass generator" thread.
    The best solution is already in our hands. We just turn the Sound Control Officals around facing the paddock and get readings and a report. That way the folks who refuse peace and quite can be ousted with the data to back it up! :026:

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate. (Hey do you guys wear a tux when you do these debates up there in HAAHVUD country?
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Dadgumit Mac this hear am some impotent stuff what needs ta be debated with lots a sifferin and figurin and such.
    These dad blamed loud ass cheencanes generators are a big problem up hear, Sooooo
    "To bring this thread shockingly back on target"...lol

If you can't buy a $5000 generator you should have to site in the dark, because some people are trying to watch TV in there motor homes...and your cheap poor man generator is disturbing those that really matter in this world.
    Bill Johnson

your not smart.
    [/b]
    Nice.
    First, you tell me I am 100% wrong...not a little wrong, or not on the mark, but 100%! OK, fine...since you couldn't be bothered to back up your statement with an explanation, or facts, I request, (curtly, but politely) some backing facts.

Then ...and this is rich...you come back with THAT! First, "your" is wrong, and if you're trying to make me look dumb, poor spelling and grammer aint helping your case! You meant "You're", as in "you ARE not smart" Or, even more proper, "You're dumb".

Which I'm not. At least not 100% of the time. (Note circular posting there.) It happens that I have worked in the audio industry for years, have consulted on movie theater designs costing hundreds of thousands of dollars....in peoples homes. While I never professed to have a doctorate in the matter, my post was generally accurate.

Entertain me on my soapbox for one more minute.

If you are looking for acceptance or respect in a community, THAT was not a good thing to do, and this is a community that is above such behavior. your integrity took a huge shot in my book, and I imagine some others.

(I'm sure you'll respond with a "I don't care what you think" and thats fine. But do me a favor, and save your insults for other boards. We don't need that crap here. And if you were joking, put a smiley in next time.)
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

acceptance or respect in a community of what, theater designers from Ct....lol
    You may be "above such behavior" but I'm not... : ) a little smiley for ya...lol

It's like this, a simple mathematical equation.

Bitch about noise at a race track + from Connecticut + works as a theater designer = Sissy

problem solved, take a Midol and have a crapacheno lata something or the other and relax... ; )

[attachmentid=1280]
    Bill Johnson

acceptance or respect in a community of what, theater designers from Ct....lol
    You may be "above such behavior" but I'm not... : ) a little smiley for ya...lol

It's like this, a simple mathematical equation.

Bitch about noise at a race track + from Connecticut + works as a theater designer = Sissy

problem solved, take a Midol and have a crapacheno lata something or the other and relax... ; )

[attachmentid=1280]
    [/b]

Ya know, I gotta agree with Jake. One of the reasons why I really enjoy this board is that it normally doesn't get into the crap that the others do. If you have positive input on the subject great! (even if you disagree), if you don't, go to another forum where I'm sure you'll be much more excepted.......
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Colchester, CT... =

Maybe we have been under attack and Connecticut was hit with some kind of biological agent that reduces the power of reason and increases the female hormones...I think the president goes to Connecticut from time to time, that would explain a lot of things...

[attachmentid=1281]
    Bill Johnson

I just bring a 100&#39; extension cord and extra beer. <_<
    Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.