Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any one seen these diesel generators?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diesel-True-Life-Gener...7QQcmdZViewItem

could fill it from the truck's tank.....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Never heard of this one, I use Onan, and not to hijack the thread…..

The big question is what do you want to use it for?

Home? Shop? Track? Emergency?
    I am no expert, but have a bunch of “user level” experience with generators.

I own a gas 8kw, and use Diesel 3, 5, 10, and 30 kw’s at work
    If this generator is for use at the track, everyone in the paddock will HATE you at night. An uncased diesel generator is LOUD. As an example my 3 kw is uncased and is louder than my cased 30 kw.

And don’t let the battery die. A pull start diesel can be a PITA to start, and next to impossible if you have any physical limitations at all (shoulder or elbow issues) even if the machine has a “compression release lever”

Hope this helps and again sorry if it’s a hijack

Matt Bal

track, emergency use, etc.

65 db at 7 meters is not too loud. and they are in my home town so no shipping.

i am thinking that "Honda Designed" might mean we bought one and copied it??
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

65 db at 7 meters is not too loud. [/b]
    Please do not park next to me.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Look closely at the pictures, and read some of the text. Cheapo Romanian/Nigerian/Chinese/Peruvian stuff (might as well insult 4 different continents, so no one will feel discriminated against). Find similar stuff at the cheap end of the Harbor Freight store. The "Honda-design" probably means that the piston goes up and down, just like a Honda engine does.

Run away.

Please do not park next to me. :rolleyes:[/b]
    "Tragedy of the Commons." Look it up.

Everybody wants to use a generator, but everybody wants everybody ELSE to spend the Big Bucks on the quiet ones. Yet, if we did a survey of the paddock, I'd wager that very few have spent the big bucks. Yet, there's also very few people who are willing to walk over to the adjoining paddock and ask the person(s) to stop using a noisy generator, nor are we willing to offer to let the noisy guy use our generator, simply because it's our generator and we're paying the gasoline for it ("...if the guy wants a quiet generator, HE should pay for it"; problem is, he doesn't want a quiet generator, YOU want him to have one. Where's his incentive?)

So, it's all about getting other people to spend money to make us happy, versus their spending less money that'll result in others unhappy. So, it's kinda like blowing the leaves into the next-door neighbor's yard...

Guess what? Ain't gonna happen. There's no downside to running a noisy generator, except for the guy on the other side of the trailer getting pissed off, yet there's significant financial incentive to spending less on a noisy generator. Thus, all incentives are contrary to the interests of the common good, ergo "Tragedy of the Commons".

In other words: Get used to it.

And they poo-poo my idea of running a full 12V system off batteries...

Speak for yourself.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

At a Summit Point National a bunch of years ago, a guy showed up next to me with an Atlantic and a 6kW generator. We were out in Dirtville, and it was pre "Rural Electrification Project" days at SP. Big-ass generator with no discernable muffler, all to top off the battery for the "total loss" electrical system on the FA. Hmmm...that charger needs about 1-2 amps at most...what a dope.

After having my mind numbed for about 30 minutes, I pulled out a 100ft. extension cord, plugged it into my 'small but quiet' generator, and walked it over to his paddock spot. The offer of an immediate solution (my quiet AC power) counter-balanced a somewhat acerbic greeting ("Use this, or we'll all burn your trailer down and piss on the ashes"). Problem solved. Message delivered.

If you don't ask, you won't get what you want.

Speak for yourself.[/b]
    That's what I do, Dick, though I don't understand what point you're trying to make...

In other words: Get used to it.

[/b]
    I guess the point is that some of us are actually considerate. We do run a quite Honda. I know that I find such background noise more irritating than others, always have, generators, compressors, exhaust fans and such.
    I think it a reasonable courtesy not to run a loud generator unnecessarily.

dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The only way to get a quiet Diesel is watercooled. A 6KW+ using a Kubota 905 is a nice unit, not too big.

I think it a reasonable courtesy not to run a loud generator unnecessarily.[/b]
    ABSOLUTELY.

Problem is, not everyone is courteous; not everyone is willing to spend the extra coin in respect of others. That's the "tragedy of the commons" argument, in that for such an ideal (and I use that word carefully) to be successful it requires selflessness from everyone, not just a few. Reality states that's not going to happen, and as less and less spend the money more and more will do the same. That's the "get used to it": it's not a challenge, it's a statement of reality.

Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I am already designing the ultimate diesel generator: it will be completely silent in the paddock (literally, 0.00dB), costs nothing additional in fuel to run, and works perfectly for my needs. If you've followed my discussion on rr-ax.com, you'll know that I'm designing a 12V electrical system for my trailer, with all devices such as lighting and device charging, running on a pair of completely silent batteries. Everything will either be 12V or work off an inverter; any high-current AC loads (if I have any) will work off of my scavenging "shore power" from the track or another competitor. One of the main driving forces for this idea is this issue of noise in the paddock...and I'm putting my money where my mouth is and spending it on silent power.

And the diesel generator part? The batteries will be charged by the tow truck as I cruise down the road (or from "shore power")... - GA

I am already designing the ultimate diesel generator: it will be completely silent in the paddock (literally, 0.00d, costs nothing additional in fuel to run, and works perfectly for my needs. If you've followed my discussion on rr-ax.com, you'll know that I'm designing a 12V electrical system for my trailer, with all devices such as lighting and device charging, running on a pair of completely silent batteries. Everything will either be 12V or work off an inverter; any high-current AC loads (if I have any) will work off of my scavenging "shore power" from the track or another competitor. One of the main driving forces for this idea is this issue of noise in the paddock...and I'm putting my money where my mouth is and spending it on silent power.[/b]
    Greg,

Sounds similar to the Gas (gas powered tow vehicle)/shore power/solar battery system that I have been laying out for my trailer. I'll have to check out rr-ax.com for more details.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

I'll have to check out rr-ax.com for more details.[/b]
    Rather than replicate here:

http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/t...id=6218&start=1

Greg, I hope I don't fall into your group of disappointments.
    I spent big money on my Yamaha generator, got a bigger one than I really need, (and my back hates the 160 pound dead lift into the truck bed) and offer power to all.
    And if my generator bothers anyone, I've always encouraged comments. PLEASE come up and let me know.

Some of us are trying...........
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I spent the big bucks and bought a honda water-cooled 6500. The damn thing is nicer than my car. I've
    asked neighbors to plug into mine rather than hear there briggs/china/whatchamacallit pos blow all day.
    One thing i've always done is try park away from people regardless to to be nice, I hate noise.

k

I hate noise.[/b]
    How about a discussion about the "2nd most annoying noise in the paddock" ? You all know what I mean....Mazda rotaries. Yeesh.

John believe me those of us that have spent the past few seasons in the woods at SP know what you mean. There is one notorious srx7 guy that seem to be constantly tuning his carb or timing and we get to hear it rev up over and over again.

As for the generator thing, if its too loud your right it can be annoying, but I am the master of tuning things out and usually generators will just put me to sleep unless its running right next to my ear.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I have enjoyed reading all of the different ideas on power in the paddock. Now, I wouldn't recommend this for full time use but I have used several of these on my trucks and on customer trucks:
    http://www.realacpower.com/index.htm

Frame mounted generator, runs off PTO gear in tranny, not the quietest at 70+ db but 12k (or 15k) power that runs off the truck engine. I am considering getting one to use as a back up for when we lose power during the tornado season. They run right at 6k installed and the owner of the company is a racer as well.

I myself would like one of those super quiet Honda's.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I bought a Honda 6500IU this year...........one incredible generator. Two modes economy and full power. It has a 4.5 gallon tank on economy it will run all day (12-18 hours easily) On full about 8-10 hours. Very quiet comes with wheels. Easy to change oil and has a back up pull start. I got the electric start because I have a pull start air compressor and I hate starting that thing...grrrrrrr.... It is also clean power, for use with computers and such. Expensive ($3200 w/ free freight)...but I wanted something I could count on every weekend (25-27 weekends a year and we use it at our house for backup power in the winter). I had two cheaper generators and blew them out. It also runs on regular gas...cheaper than diesel now.

Spend the money....you know you get what you pay for...blah blah blah...
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA