Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Area 12 report from Philip Creighton

Not all of you may have seen this. This type of communication is healthy for us and for the club. I have copied it in its entirety. Interesting reading and it appears that Philip is interested in keeping club racing alive.

"Area 12 Directors Report – Philip Creighton

After being elected in November, I hardly had time to think before I was in Topeka at the Club Office for my first meeting of the SCCA Inc. Board of Directors. All the new Directors go through an orientation process at the Club Office, seeing what the various people in each department do every day. There we were briefed by each of the department heads for Club Racing, Rally, Solo, Pro Racing and Risk Management so that we could get up to speed on their activities. Then it was into the December ‘face to face’ BOD meeting with a fairly full agenda that was completed with a lot of hard work by all concerned – BOD members and the SCCA staff. The minutes and details will be published in Fastrack shortly.

The first order of business was a presentation of the Insurance Report from Pete Lyons. The bad news is that there will be a significant increase in premiums next year due to losses in Rally or Solo events. After years of no significant claims we had a couple of serious accidents at solo events with out of control cars, particularly in the finish areas. Safety Stewards will need all the participants help in ensuring safe events and compliance with the SCCA’s safety requirements, particularly in the finish line areas and with spectator control.

A report on the Street Survival program was given by Larry Dent and it was very positive. The Street Survival prototype events run this year (8 in all) proved that the events are practical and positive, with favorable impact on both regions and the community at large. The national program will be kicked off at the convention and I urge you all to attend if possible. Larry has been directly involved in two of these events, is Chairman of the SCCA Foundation and will be writing “Street Survival For Dummies” sort of paper in the coming weeks. It’s an exciting program and I urge every region to try to run one next year.

Next came the budget report and it came as a pleasant surprise – the Club (SCCA Inc.) will probably end up with a surplus in excess of $200,000 for 2007. Pro Racing will

probably end the year about even and Enterprises will be solidly in the black and repay more of their loan than planned. From the bleak picture a couple of years ago it appears that financial picture is reasonably good at the moment. We are down a bit on membership since the demise of the Subaru ‘free’ memberships and the Pro Rally department. There were some fee increases to cover increased costs, most notably the Appeal Fee went up to $175 from $125 and $100 retained by SCCA. This was to cover the extra costs of appeals expenses, especially duplicating video evidence to a usable format. We also didn’t make as much money off the Runoffs as the entry was down. – from less entry fees and from HPT’s payment to the Club.

We spent a fair bit of time discussing and approving the $10 compliance fee for Spec Miata. I think that there were concerns that the fees would go into the general fund with little competitor benefit as it did in some of the SRF years. However the Technical Staff is gearing up to produce compliance kits of checking tools and a part of the budget will be spent on training Tech Inspectors at the Club Office and in the field in addition to field trips. We really need the competitors to feel comfortable that cars are compliant at both Regional and National level and the only way to achieve it is with the local Tech Inspectors being better able to do their job.

There was some fairly heavy discussion on the current MazdaSpeed controversy at the end of the day. We know how important Mazda’s support is at Club level, so we had a meeting between all the parties at the PRI show and resolved the issues. We all decided to move on and nor rehash the detail of who said what. Mazda seemed pretty happy with the result and the procedural changes so that should prevent something like the MXR Classification issue happening again. Mazda and SCCA Pro announced that Playboy will sponsor the MX5 Cup so that a positive step.

The Runoffs was the main topic of discussion on Saturday. The Staff gave us the results of various surveys that were undertaken to find out why the event had lost both competitors and workers this year. Although all the surveys were not yet tabulated it certainly seems to come down to the fact that Topeka and Kansas is not seen as the best place to hold our Championship Event and even though the track has been improved since last year, it is not Runoffs quality. It’s a pity because we have a great track owner in Ray Irwin that has really tried to accommodate the Runoffs by improving the facilities and has spent a lot of time and money on it. We are committed to 2008, by contract, to Heartland Park but 2009 and beyond was discussed at great length. Most of the operational problems this year can be fixed for next year and hopefully the safety aspects of the place upgraded – I had to repair two heavy hits on our own FC from contact with unprotected concrete walls, I’m not sure why they don’t like tire walls there.

Beyond 2009, I don’t know. We asked Jim Julow and his staff to look at all the possible sites for the Runoffs with perhaps a change in the business model to make it more attractive. We have the option of staying at Heartland Park on a similar deal as today – but it’s in Kansas and our members are voting with their feet and not going. One theme that came through loud and clear is that we intend to make the Runoffs the Premier Road Racing event in this country.

Other than that, our Chairman, Bob Introne, has decided to step down and we elected our 2008 officers under the new Chairman RJ Gordy. Even though he’s from the wrong coast he seems knowledgeable and fair, he competed in Spec Racer for many years and as an ex-police officer will hopefully keep us all in line! I will be on the Budget and Finance committee as well as the Compensation Committee as part of the new appointments – after 10 years of CRB work I avoided the rules making liaison duties.

We finally finished up with a Conference Call on the 10th of December to tidy up some issues and deal with the GT3 Runoffs situation – they will now be allowed to compete at the Runoffs in 08 as the 25th class. GP will largely be assimilated into FP and HP as they did not even make the participation numbers. We have a contradiction in that the Runoffs schedules are having an adverse effect on the class structure – we may have too many classes but its not a problem at the National events, only when we have to fit 24-25 classes into 3 days at the Runoffs.

On a more serious note, I am going to try keep you all informed and justify your votes in the recent election. I want to put a buzz back into National Club Racing as that seems to be where our membership feels we have problems.

If you need to contact me the best way is by E-mail at [email protected] "
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Not that is was previously low but I now have a different level of respect for Phil Creighton. This report and the level of transparency within are refreshing. It has also changed my opinion of the direction the Club is headed. With no intention of implying any past ineffectuality or disrespect to the other Area Directors past and present it appears if we could have a BoD comprised of people like this the SCCA could be on the road to a brighter future.

Where did the report come from?
    Tom Sprecher

Yup, that was refreshing.

Not a fan of the GT3 call though... they always seem to crumble, don't they?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Mr. Creighton emailed his report to the webmaster of www.teamtac.org which is a combined website for the Tennessee Valley Region, SCCA (Huntsville, Al) and the Twickenham Auto CLub which is an autox/rally club that began life in 1954 in Huntsville.

The website and forum is probably the most active in the southeast. Mr. Creighton emailed several of us asking for election support and passed on this report for publication. I thought I would share it over here.

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Can we start the campaign now to move the runoffs back to Road Atlanta where they belong?

VIR would be maybe the best option, but RA is where the heritage is and where the weather is great for October racing.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Thanks for posting this. With Phil's permission, I posted it on the GT-racecar site as well. This is more info that we got from the former director during his entire reign.

As for the 25 class rule, hate the rule, not GT3. As a racer in GT3, we didn't realize we were close to the bubble until mid-July. Up until then, the West Coast numbers had us up in the 18th spot. Since West Coast ends National racing early, the numbers dropped faster than we could react. Classes like SSC and T3 were able to recruit people much more easily since the prep turn around time is much less than GT. In the case of SSC we saw guys with 10 year old Neons show up, borrowing brake pads (!) and tires to make the numbers. We heard some odd tricks with T3 as well, but they got the numbers. GT3 didn't have a central motivator, since we thought we were ok.

That said, if we don't make the top 24 in 2008, then we should risk being bumped for 2009. But, to lose out on the 2008 runoffs without adequate notice was a bit inequitable. SCCA added several classes without much member input, and against some.

If there is a GT3 class in National racing, then we should go to the runoffs. Solve the number of classes issue, but don't just obsolete expensive cars on short notice by pulling the invite. Besides, with the Runoffs participation numbers, you'd think they would do everything they can to keep participation up.

I'd love to see the runoffs at Road Atlanta or VIR, but the board seems to think it's too far east. Too bad. I guess we'll make the best of the VIR double National in April.

Steve

it certainly seems to come down to the fact that Topeka and Kansas is not seen as the best place to hold our Championship Event

..... We have the option of staying at Heartland Park on a similar deal as today – but it’s in Kansas and our members are voting with their feet and not going. One theme that came through loud and clear is that we intend to make the Runoffs the Premier Road Racing event in this country.
    [/b]
    Very nice to see a refreshing dose of realism. Maybe we're not in Kansas anymore....

I would argue with the too far east. HP is not too far east and is a failure. In part because its not close enough to any major population center and therefore a long haul for everybody. In part because the race track is not loved enough for teams/entries to haul a long distance to race there. In part because October in Kansas is not friendly.

Road Atlanta is all of that.

A compromize might be to find a companion date out west and rotate the runoffs and the arrc between the east and west venues.

I will offer one other suggestion that might attract people from the east and west coast to make a long haul.

Make a pitch to Tony George for Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Runoffs. If the idea is to make, "the Premier Road Racing event in this country", that has IMS written all over it. It can't hurt to ask.

In the end, I still say Road Atlanta.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Great to see this info out in the open. It needs to be posted here as well.

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/index.php

and here

http://sccaforums.com/Default.aspx

Make a pitch to Tony George for Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Runoffs. If the idea is to make, "the Premier Road Racing event in this country", that has IMS written all over it. It can't hurt to ask.
    [/b]
    This is the ultimate scenario and has been discussed before.

No advantage to anyone since there would be no races there during the season. Indy is well capable of handling the influx of competitors from what I here. Another source of easy income for Tony now that Bernie has thumbed his nose at the US.

And I would argue more centrally located by population of SCCA members, if not geographically.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

October in a central location is tough to make work. The weather can really be touch and go. The best central locations are even further north. Mid Ohio and Road America. Same could be said of Watkins Glen.

I raced at VIR in late October this season and it was pretty miserable.

I also realize that there are few tracks that are in the runoffs class. Topeka is not and part of the reason it doesn't work.

The event was at its strongest at Road Atlanta. I think for this kind of event to be as strong as it can be the track either needs to be a national championship track, Indianapolis Motor Speedway or Daytona International Speedway or it needs to be the next best thing someplace where people will participate.

Indy or Daytona. If they are not available, then Road Atlanta.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I think it ought to be at CMP. World class nightlife in Camden.

And you guys think I am kidding. You need to experience, the Southern Farscape.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I think it ought to be at CMP. World class nightlife in Camden.

And you guys think I am kidding. You need to experience, the Southern Farscape.
    [/b]
    We've never been to Southern Farscape but that little dive bar in Kershaw got half of my team so wasted that while leaving they turned left and drove all the way to NC before realizing it. And the patrons, holy crap! This one ugly road whore took one of the shots I was buying the guys from right in front of me while I was paying and downed it. I've never hit a women before but that one came close to being the first.

Tom Sprecher

Indy? Are you kidding. They can not handle the paddock space required and the course is not suited to most of the classes in SCCA. You guys in the northeast already complain about Pocono and you think the longest flatout stretch for F1 cars is going to be fun?

Finally, while the runoffs are smaller if the hotels in the area apply only half of their markup for a other race weekends that still means $40 rooms going for $100 a night. No thanks.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

VIR is typically quite nice in October and November. In the years of going up there more often than not I'm in short sleeves on the weekend. With the exception of the 2006 13 Hour in November it is been good weather.

As for the October race, well, Friday was wet but he rest of the weekend was gorgeous. What problems did you have with the Goblin's Go in October?

CMP is right on, good place.

Tom, we use Southern Farscape to refer to the entire area. It cracks me up that place. Kershaw has what, 5,000 people, Camden 30,000 and Lugoff another 5,000.

Despite that, we've noticed the following:

1. You never have any trouble getting a cab in Camden. As easy as Manhattan. Well, not that easy, but damn close.

2. The cab drivers know where all the bars are, including teh "after hours" clubs that serve liquor until 4 a.m. on Saturday/Sunday morning, and are full of the Camden upper crust. I kid you not. One of them, I can't remember the name of the damn place, is in an abandoned strip mall north of town and actually has one of those "speakeasy" doors.

3. Only place that one of our racing group was greeted at the bar by a middle age woman who remarked, "Son, I've got underwear older than you."

4. There are a set number of bars. There are a set number of men and women. Draw the venn diagram. You see the same people at the same bars year after year. There's the town skank (a Dupont no less, or claims to be), Priscilla Queen of the Farscape, Machine Gunn Tommy...etc...etc....

5. The bar on the highway to Lugoff. Dark wood paneling. Huge rednecks. DJ with rap music. Women the size of humpback whales dancing on the bar at closing time, flashing their breast like appendages and demanding money for doing so. True story.

6. Readily available "company for the evening, for cheap!" or so we are told by the cab drivers who invariably drive us back to the hotels in Lugoff

For all of the reasons set forth above, and for others that can't be mentioned on a family forum, CMP would be the perfect place for the Runoffs. Bring it on SCCA! Camden is waiting!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff, you have missed your calling with your career choice in the legal profession....with the writers stike continuing, perhaps now is the time to try the sit com market in Hollyweird?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I love the idea of moving the runoffs to Indy! The newest track configuration, still under construction, is being built for the Moto GP guys. It favors SCCA cars as well. No longer a concern about the long F1 front straight. Check it out![attachmentid=1274]
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I love the idea of moving the runoffs to Indy! The newest track configuration, still under construction, is being built for the Moto GP guys. It favors SCCA cars as well. No longer a concern about the long F1 front straight. Check it out![attachmentid=1274]
    [/b]
    Very interesting. I hadn't seen the new layout but it still doesn't solve the paddock issue or the price gouging question.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Very interesting. I hadn't seen the new layout but it still doesn't solve the paddock issue or the price gouging question. [/b]
    And oh, by the way... during the month of October, Indy is statistically even colder than Topeka. :snow_cool:
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael