Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log Book Inspection

Hey Fellas, Can you give me some direction on obtaining a log book? I have reached out to a few people in Region 23 (where I am) to get some advice. I droppped a few notes to te NYR stadd but have not heard back yet. I would like to get the log book accuired as soon as I can. Am I limited to NYR? Can you put me in contact with someone who can issue log books?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

You are not limited to your region. If you are willing to tow it some distance, find the chief of tech for a nearby region.

Cheers.

Some regions will have annual tech days prior to the start of the season. Find out who your chief of tech is and get in touch with him directly, he should be able to let you know. Some of them will actually come to your home to do the inspection, but more likely you'll have to take the car to a garage or the track, depending on what they have scheduled.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

NYR's tech days are usually out on Long Island. You are also within Mohawk-Hudson Region's grasp

From their webpage:

Scrutineering
    Richard Welty
    269 Rabie Rd
    Averill Park, NY
    518-273-2176(W)
    (Race drivers - Contact Richard for your race car annual tech.or advice regarding care preparation rules)
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    http://www.averillpark.net
    http://www.krusty-motorsports.com

Mo-Hud usually has a spring tech day that I understand is a pretty good party in the Albany area, usually in March I think. Most Tech inspectors will do a car that you bring to them as will I, but I am a couple hours away.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I have been in contact with Richard. He is willing to see my when the weather 'does not suck'. I have been told that NYR has not had a tech session in a few years.

Dick, if things don't work out with Richard for me, I may give you a call. You are about 2.5 hours away.

Thanks for the information guys. Merry Christmas.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Hey Chris,

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

If I remember correctly, you're getting ready for the school at SP in March. The Mo-Hud annual tech day in the past has taken place in April and I expect the same this year. So in my opinion, here are your options:

Try to hook up with a tech like Richard (very difficult!!) or Dick.

Find a region that holds an annual tech day prior to the SP school. I believe NER has held it in recent years iin Manchester, CT at around mid-March. The NNJ region has it at about the same time.

Have it done at SP prior to the school. The WDC folks are generally very accommodating. Even if your car is not 100% up to snuff, but it does not have any major safety deficiencies, they most likely let you run it at the school.

I have built two cars that have sailed through tech and I'm fairly familiar of what's required. I could swing by your house one weekend to have a look at your car if you'd like.

Anthony
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

.... my experiences with tech recently has been not only fine, but above fine...to the point of beyond expectations by a mile.

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

NNJ is in the early process of scheduling its 2008 tech days. The early schedule looks like: the first day will be in late March (30th?) somewhere in Northern Jersey (Denville, NJ?); a tech day in Montgomery, NY (with the NEDIV HRG folks) on April 26th; and the last day on April 27th (Oxford, NJ?). In addition, I am also looking at a tech day in South Jersey (Williamstown, NJ?) on April 12th. These dates of course could change.

I am in central New Jersey, about 2 - 2.5 hours from you. NNJ does have a few techs in the northern part of New Jersey that could possibly meet up with you.

(609) 406-9763 (H)
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

NNJ was great to me as well - somebody (can't find his name) came out to my house to inspect and issue a book on the car last fall for nothing more than a cup of coffee.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Thanks for all the input. I certainly have a few options now.

I need to tie up a couple of things on the car first. I think tow straps and wiring the kill switch are all that is left.

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I need to tie up a couple of things on the car first. I think tow straps and wiring the kill switch are all that is left.

[/b]
    A quick checklist for you (others can fill in what I missed) of stuff I can think of:

- Cage

- Belts

- Pull down window net

- Seat

- Seat back brace (if needed)

- Cutoff switch

- Fuel test port

- Tow hooks

- Solid battery tie down

- Fire extinguisher (system)

- Exhaust properly routed

- Stickers (SCCA Club Racing, Class, E! Shut off, Extinguisher and H&N if you run one)

- Pictures (Front and rear 3/4 views for the inside cover of your logbook - 3X5's will do)

- Steering column lock disabled
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

cutoff switch and battery teminals insulated or taped
    jerry monaghan

- Stickers ( H&N if you run one)

[/b]
    ??????
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

?????? [/b]
    This may be regional but this past year we were required to run a 'HANS' sticker (if you had one) by the driver window opening to signal to workers that they will need to be prepared for those products during extraction. Tough to see in this picture but the RX-7 of Steve Ulfelder has one above the T in Flatout and the E36 of Dave Maynard has one above his name on the rear glass. My car now has an 'R3' in a similar spot.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

A quick checklist for you (others can fill in what I missed) of stuff I can think of:

- Steering column lock disabled [/b]

DUH!

(where's my hammer?)

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

If you are interested in retaining the operation of the ignition key to start the vehicle, you must remove the ignition housing by loosening the screws with a chisle. Insert the key and turn to the ACC position. Then push in the small set pin which will allow the ignition cylinder to slide out of the housing. "DO NOT TURN THE KEY WHEN THE CYLINDER IS REMOVED!" Remove the metal end cap and remove the steering locking pin. Reinstall housing with normal bolts.

IMO, the "steering lock" rule is an anachronism, sorta like the old "blood type on helmet/suit" thing.

Ever heard of one failing ?

With millions of vehicles out there with steering locks, you'd think that any problem with them over the last 30+ years would have brought the product liability lawyers howling and running, like beagles on a rabbit.

Silence.

Just another weird rule from SCCA's past, based on suspicions but not facts.

This may be regional but this past year we were required to run a 'HANS' sticker (if you had one) by the driver window opening to signal to workers that they will need to be prepared for those products during extraction. Tough to see in this picture but the RX-7 of Steve Ulfelder has one above the T in Flatout and the E36 of Dave Maynard has one above his name on the rear glass. My car now has an 'R3' in a similar spot.

[/b]

Last year while the grid workers were doing their final walk through, they noticed me hooking up my Isaac (Link). They had never seen one and wanted me to come by at lunch and do a demo. they were thinking more in the line of learning it to help get drivers hooked up, but I would think ALL flaggers, grid, pit workers should have some knowledge of the different systems..... If I was in a bad situation, I would want the first worker there knowing what kind of system I wear. When they get to my burning car, I want them to have his/her knife ready to cut off the Isaac. No screwing around trying to figure out what system I have.

But I'm in the same region as Andy and had not heard that about the decals (although I do have one just for the reason I stated above).

As far as the steering locks go, I assumed it was for easier towing and such, not for the potential of failure.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

This may be regional but this past year we were required to run a 'HANS' sticker...[/b]
    But I'm in the same region as Andy and had not heard that about the decals...[/b]
    It was requested by our chief of tech, but not required by regulation (i.e., GCR and/or supps). - GA