I now have three seasons of 6-7 weekends each on the motor in my car. It only had a couple weekends on it when I bought the car so most of the use has been by me over the past three seasons. I'm wondering when I should start considering a refresh of the motor. I'm hesitant to open it up since it's been so good to me up till now, but I figure at some point it needs to be done. This motor is a top build with the usual stuff done to it. Bob said he just got a new motor when he needed one, but I'd like to just refresh this one if that makes sense.

Here are my questions.

- How do you know when it's time for a refresh? Compression test? Dyno run? Butt-o-meter on the track? Some other way? I can live with a few less horsepower, but I don't want to be significantly down.

- What does a refresh constitute? I figure rings (does that imply honing as well?) and probably the piston and main bearings. Valve springs seem likely. What else? Some sort of head cleaning to clean the valves?

- What parts? More precisely, what manufacturer of parts. These are .040 pistons so does Nissan make rings? Do you want Nissan rings or some performance rings? What about bearings and the other pieces? I have no idea what's in the motor now, but whatever it is seems to last.

- Where to get it done? I'm likely going to farm this out to a shop. I'm in Atlanta so Sunbelt is an obvious choice, but I've heard that they can take a long time and the quality depends on who does the work. I also don't know how much experience they have with the KA24. I'd prefer to use somebody that knows the motor and a smaller shop so I know who is doing the work. Ken (or is it Kevin?) Muresan mentioned to me at the ARRC a couple years ago that he uses somebody up in NC, but I don't remember the shop. I'm willing to travel a couple hours if it's a good shop. Anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks for any info.

David