Thread: if I get a CDL!!!

OK,
    I don’t know if there is a “quick” answer or even a “right” answer for this, Or, if I am going to open a HUGE can of worms.

My job will soon be requiring me to obtain a CDL, and I was thinking that if I have a CDL I now MUST stop at these DOT Inspections when towing the race car?(as a hobby, for recreational use….)

So I guess my question is does having a CDL eliminate that “gray” area that “recreational use” allows us.

I am all for receiving the additional drivers training, I just don’t want to create more hassle down the road when towing.
    Work will pay for the training, the physical and drug testing, so that is not my concern.

But if I have to keep a “log” while driving the truck and stop at the inspections…..I also heard that it lowers your blood alcohol % if you get stopped, even driving a car. I am not promoting drinking and driving, but have heard that with the reduced % it only takes 1 or 2 drinks.
    I don’t know if it matters, but I tow a 42 ft 3 axle goose neck trl (18,000) with a F250 (8,600)

Thanks
    Mattbal

You should not have to stop towing your race car just because you have aCDL.

You are not a commercial carrier.

You might have to put "not for hire" on the side of your truck and trailer.But i dought it.
    Tim Martin
    ITC VW RABBIT
    CFR

Matt
    You shouldn't have to stop at any scale if you're not stopping at them now.

The BAC for CDL is .04, however any amount at all <.04 will get you 24 hours out of service.
    *Supposedly* these limits are only while operating a CDL classed vehicle....
    http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/findfile.asp?id...%20farm%20truck?

jerry
    jerry monaghan

Having driven "non-CDL required" tow trucks in VA, PA, MD, DC, and not having a CDL, I have passed some check staions in VA with no consequence and have been stopped for passing a check station in MD. I guess it depends on the state and the check station. The only requirement I had was to have the CDL medical certificate with me. I have kept a log book (I was commercial) on longer trips but have never been asked to show it.
    Jim Politi

Done some racin&#39;.

Matt-

I have had a CDL since the day I turned 18 (almoast 12 years ago now...)... The only thing that it changes is your BAC limit (I think in NH it is .02 or less = less than 1 drink). The reasoning for the law is that you "could" be on your way to work.

The police also expect you to know the rules of the road better. I have been stoped a few times since I was 18 and got the lectures... They also emfasized and respected that my license was my job and I better slow it down.

You do need a medical card to legaly drive a comercial vehicle, however you do not need a medical card to drive a non-comercial vehicle with a CDL.

Good luck on the test!!! Mass isn&#39;t to bad, try getting it through a DTE inspector if at all possible rather than through the registry, they tend to be a bit more helpful. DTE is the Department of Telecomunications and Energy and issue permits for public & private bus transportation in MA.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

OK,
    I don’t know if there is a “quick” answer or even a “right” answer for this, Or, if I am going to open a HUGE can of worms.

My job will soon be requiring me to obtain a CDL, and I was thinking that if I have a CDL I now MUST stop at these DOT Inspections when towing the race car?(as a hobby, for recreational use….)

So I guess my question is does having a CDL eliminate that “gray” area that “recreational use” allows us.

I am all for receiving the additional drivers training, I just don’t want to create more hassle down the road when towing.
    Work will pay for the training, the physical and drug testing, so that is not my concern.

But if I have to keep a “log” while driving the truck and stop at the inspections…..I also heard that it lowers your blood alcohol % if you get stopped, even driving a car. I am not promoting drinking and driving, but have heard that with the reduced % it only takes 1 or 2 drinks.
    I don’t know if it matters, but I tow a 42 ft 3 axle goose neck trl (18,000) with a F250 (8,600)

Thanks
    Mattbal
    [/b]
    As long as you are NOT doing any sort commerce, which is using the truck and trailer for business purposes you should be fine. The DOT can pull you over anythime they feel like it and all you have to say is that you are " on my way to club racing event and it is strictly recreational". As long as you haven&#39;t broken and rules of the road, you should be good to go. If you don&#39;t have any commericial advertising on the vehicel you are driving and no need for DOT numbers most likely they won&#39;t bother you at all. But if you are running any sort of business with the vehicle you are driving, collecting big purses at the race track, writing off any of the expenses for your racing or caring equipment, cars anything else that you might be receiving compensation for, you are involved in commerce and you&#39;ll be in big doodoo if you don&#39;t have all your proper paperwork etc....
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Thank you all very much.

So it looks like other than the alcohol part it won’t have any negative effect on me. (And again I agree that we should not be drinking and driving so I have no problem with that)

Thanks again. I am now actually looking forward to this.

Mattbal

If you don&#39;t have any commericial advertising on the vehicel you are driving and no need for DOT numbers most likely they won&#39;t bother you at all. But if you are running any sort of business with the vehicle you are driving, collecting big purses at the race track, writing off any of the expenses for your racing or caring equipment, cars anything else that you might be receiving compensation for, you are involved in commerce and you&#39;ll be in big doodoo if you don&#39;t have all your proper paperwork etc....
    [/b]
    I avoid towing my own car to the track now because of this above. I have an F250 and an open trailer and a club racer. I had no idea that having writing on the side of my car on an open trailer could get me in a jackpot.

I would think this would include any contingency decals you might be running.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I do have a CDL and I have driven for hire and not for hire rigs. I keep a log book even in my truck because to many officers don&#39;t actually know the laws and will sit you down for 10 hours if you aren&#39;t up to date. It is not required in your personal RV/pickup and trailer but I do it for drill.

I don&#39;t drink so I won&#39;t comment on the other part.

Joe
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Check the states you will be traveling through carefully. In Florida, not only is the BAL for DUI reduced, but holders of a CDL are ineligible to opt for defensive driving class as an option to drop points, etc for a ticket, even when in a personal vehicle.

Florida is also pretty tough on tow rigs. There have been many cases where they have deemed that racing is a commercial enterprise, and required a CDL, even in vehicles which wouldn&#39;t normally require one. Some of the touring roundy round guys have talked of boycotting Florida races because they have had so much trouble, even with motorhomes/toterhomes. Many in the horse trailer community have expressed the same sentiment. ...I know this part is off your subject, but my point is to keep doing your homework. Even though the rules are supposed to be standardized across the country, they aren&#39;t.

Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Jim, One of the issues is any trailer over 10k or a rig that totals over 26k brings into call the need for a CDL. What i have learned is that just because you have a CDL for any of these does not mean stoping at weighstations ect. for a non comercial venture. The problem is that the police in most states can&#39;t tell the difference which is why I run a log book even in my motorhome pulling my 10k trailer.

Check your state DOT information but also go to the Fed DOT information page. I keep all of the Federal information printed in my log book so I can educate a trooper if needed.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com