Thread: Proposed restructure of ECR series for 2008

I just realized that by posting this in an existing long thread, my post will soon be buried. Thus I am moving it to a new thread. I will also bring forward the other answer that applies to the subject.

OK, this is my first post on the IT forum.

I, along with Robin Langlotz and Buddy Matthews, wrote the ECR rules and have made up the ECR Committee since the Division adopted the series. We have watched the series closely and changed the rules as needed when needed.

Well, Robin and I have spoke several nights ago and we think ECR needs a big fix or it is going to die. This year the payout is only about 1/2 what it was in 2006 and the number of registered entrants is painfully low. As a matter of fact, no driver in ITA bothered to join the series and the more than $1000 that went into ITA is not being paid out to anyone.

I am going to share with you what Robin and I feel should happen to ECR. I haven't heard from Buddy yet and I will share with you what his response is when I receive it. Robin and I feel that ECR needs to become structured like the SARRC series. No longer will drivers be required to sign up to accumulate points, just enter the race. Points will be structured like SARRC and a driver will be able to count his best six finishes. Entries in races will have to declare the driver receiving the points when there are multi drivers. We plan to ask the race regions to make all their enduros that are more than 1 hour ECR's for SEDIv points. Example, FES & CCP races of more than 1 hour would be counted for Divison ECR points.

At the same time, there will no longer be any $$ payouts, only Jackets and plaques similar to SARRC. The region would have to pay $5 per entry into the ECR trophy fund per entry.

We agreed that ECR should remain for the classes as they are now but the regions can include additional classes in their race if they wish as long as they do not displace the ECR classes. We also discussed some simplification for the pit stop procedure but that needs to further discussed internally to see if it can work.

I am sure there are some other details such as the ECR Stewards that will need to be worked out, but I wanted to get this out and hear from some of you. I'm going to be leaving town Dec 27th for the Morosso Double SARRC and then am going to attend the Sebring and Homestead National. I will watch what is posted here. You can also email me direct as you can Robin or Buddy. Our email addresses are located on the ECR website which links from www.sedivracing.org.

IT And ECR mean a lot to me since I had sat in on the original IT rules making meetings and then raced my ITS 240 Z in the first couple of years of ECR. Heck, I even won the Championship. I think it cost me $15,000 to win a $1000, but it was worth every penny.

This is an answer posted by Grafton Robertson that has many good points.

1. I agree with the main point, eliminate the cash award. We don't race for money, it costs far more for a championship effort than is ever won back at the end of the season. Copy the SARRC awards and funding structure (I would suggest up to two jackets per class champion though).

2. fix ECR 7.9 - any race which does not run the full scheduled duration should not count for points. The current rule (implemented 2007) allows the race to be stopped at any time and still count for points. GCR 6.7.5.A specifies that the race count for championship points only after half of the scheduled time or distance has been completed. In either case it is highly likely that some, but not all, of the competitors will have completed their required pit stop(s), at which point the remaining cars must be penalized for not taking the required stop(s). This can drastically affect the finishing order (as shown at Sebring 2006) and award high points to competitors who would not have otherwise earned them. This may impact season standing since the final margins are often quite small (as actually occurred in 2006). It is better that these races not count at all.

3. Firm deadlines must be established for posting of audited provisional results, final results, and points after any event. This year's performance was beyond abysmal, need I say more? I will gladly volunteer to help with this, and will understand if any competitor wants to double check the findings.

Before I propose changes to the pit timing regulations, I need to show the flaw: In the current method, the pit lap must total a minimum of 5 minutes, plus traverse time, plus best lap. In this case, the car is assumed to have traveled the pit segment twice, once in the traverse time, and once in the best lap. At most tracks, the pit segment is taken very quickly in the best lap so this time is nearly negligible. At Homestead for example, there is a slow turn entering that straight, which makes this time more significant. It is possible to violate the current rule even after stopping for 5 minutes and obeying the pit speed limit. Here are two possible solutions:

4a. Revise pit timing requirements by reducing the current traverse times by ~40% and rename them "Pit Speed Time Adjustment" or similar (just so it's not confused with the actual traverse time). The rest of the requirements and calculations are unchanged. There is no requirement that the actual stop be 5 minutes, as with the current rule. The intent is to ensure that any car that stops for 5 minutes and obeys the speed limit will be compliant. For tracks where pit stalls are located on either side of the timing line (such as Homestead, Lowes, or Sebring), the shorter of the two segments is to be used for timing requirements. I suggest the actual pit segment lengths be verified at each event, with time requirements updated at the drivers meeting as appropriate. Pit lane speed may be monitored via radar, penalties to be imposed at discretion of Operating Steward.

4b. Eliminate the traverse time. Pit lap must equal 5 minutes (or any arbitrary time) plus best lap. This doesn't enforce the pit speed limit, but honestly the current rule doesn't either. Use radar as stated in the above option. Competitors who know what they're doing will stop less somewhat than five minutes, but no one who stops five minutes will be penalized. This version is very simple. Krys Dean has proposed this same solution (except 5:30 instead of 5:00)

Grafton Robertson

Jim,

I appreciate your desire to improve the ECR and the effort that you are putting into it. Your suggested changes includes, "the regions can include additional classes in their race if they wish as long as they do not displace the ECR classes."

I take that to mean that a car allowed to race in an ECR at VIR might not be allowed to race at Roebling Road. I think that is counter productive. The more complicated you make this the harder it is to make headway.

I realize that CFR has an issue with ITO. I move that we add ITO to the ECR except in CFR races if they are not comfortable with it. After talking to them I know our two cars would pass CFR's tech.

Thanx for the consideration.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

edit - duplicate post

Jim. I like the proposal you and Robin have come up with, it can only improve the ECR series.

Just set the min. time for pit stops and Give me a radar gun, then we can forget "transit times" and results get published at the track.

I would like to see the ECR Series Chief position continue, both from a selfish point of view (I love working the ECR's), but more importantly, I think the drivers like the continuity that a permanent Steward offers, the races are run the same and the drivers know what to expect and who to talk to. Oh and did I mention I love working the ECR's.

Thanks to you and Robin for your hard work.

Krys Dean

bump.................
    I find it rather amusing that the hot topic right now for the IT drivers on this site is where to hold the "National" Runoffs.
    This topic (ECR) has created MUCH debate and critcism over the past year. Now the comittee finally realized it needs to be fixed, and asked for input from competitors. No one seems to care. If you guys really care about having a division wide endurance series, please speak up now and help the cause by expressing your opinions and adding your input. It sure will be better than complaining about it later.
    Jack

I spoke with a number of competitors at Moroso this past weekend & based on what I have heard, we are moving forward with the restructure of the series.

I met with Carol Cone on Sunday and asked her to send me a rewrite of the rules removing all references to joining the series and money payout. Hopefully, I will have this before this weekend so that Robin and I can meet at Sebring and do a review. As soon as we feel we have it ready, I will send it back to Carol and the SEDiv Executive Steward. She will post it on the ECR site for all to review.

We are going to give this new ECR Guidline to the RE's at the SEDiv annual meeting scheduled January 18th at Jekyll Island and will ask them to adopt immediately. If they agree, then, hopefully, all Enduros over one hour will become ECR's in 2008. We are going with a count your best 6 races. Hopefully, we can get 5 or 6 races in Florida and 12 or more total.

We have also discussed a race for the final of the year similar to the SIC, a double points race. As soon as that is final, we'll post info. It may or may not happen in 2008.

Thanks for all the input. And it's still not too late to express your wishes.

Happy New Year to all.

I spoke with a number of competitors at Moroso this past weekend & based on what I have heard, we are moving forward with the restructure of the series.

I met with Carol Cone on Sunday and asked her to send me a rewrite of the rules removing all references to joining the series and money payout. Hopefully, I will have this before this weekend so that Robin and I can meet at Sebring and do a review. As soon as we feel we have it ready, I will send it back to Carol and the SEDiv Executive Steward. She will post it on the ECR site for all to review.

We are going to give this new ECR Guidline to the RE's at the SEDiv annual meeting scheduled January 18th at Jekyll Island and will ask them to adopt immediately. If they agree, then, hopefully, all Enduros over one hour will become ECR's in 2008. We are going with a count your best 6 races. Hopefully, we can get 5 or 6 races in Florida and 12 or more total.

We have also discussed a race for the final of the year similar to the SIC, a double points race. As soon as that is final, we'll post info. It may or may not happen in 2008.

Thanks for all the input. And it's still not too late to express your wishes.

Happy New Year to all.
    [/b]
    Jim ;
    Between all the comments here and over at SpecMiata.com, you have a good basis for rule revisions. One additional comment; make 2 drivers mandatory (must drive min 30 minutes) with both getting points but the entrant getting 1 extra point. This provides more money to the car owner for race expenses. Best of six sounds great but then there should be a year end double points race, maybe the Sunday Enduro at the ARRC ??
    As someone who thinks a divisional Enduro series is the best form of racing I applaud your efforts (and Robin Langlotz, Carol, etc.) I remember 90 car split fields with 50 qualifiers in ITS alone !! Everyone ran 2 drivers anyway (to share costs). Some brought in 'ringers' (Syl, David, Randy, Marc, Rob and Ian come to mind) but they were all beatable. These were 90 minute sprint races where we raced against the best in the country. No reason ECR's can't be more popular again than SARRC's .
    Back to my
    Happy new year to all,
    Carlos Gutierrez

Don't make it '2 drivers mandatory' Leave that up to the owners/drivers. There are alot of us that are 1 car / 1 driver teams. All we want to do is to get more seat-time and have fun. I could care less if the enduro is an ECR, CFR, FES,....... I'm not chasing points & can't afford to travel all over the S.E. From the looks of it, very few teams worried about the points either. I would much rather see some kind of prizes given out during the race weekends, than given to a very few 'elite' teams at the end of the year. Just remember when the rules are being made, there are still some of us that just like to drive & don't have deep-pockets to fund it.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

Until this year, I have been a regular competitor in the ECR over the first 4 years of my involvement in racing. While I have enjoyed the series, finishing 3rd in class several years ago, I have been turned off by several of it's shortcomings.

Cost's and competition, have been my concerns. I understand opperational expenses of tracks and regions have climbed, and NCR does race at a Country club, costs are important to me. As for competion, I beleive the new rules changes could greatly benefit my car. ITC is weak in the ECR's. I can enter a SARRC and race against 3-6 other cars in class, whereas if I enter an ECR, I'm lucky to find 2 competitors and often times may not have a chance at racing with another car in class beyond the first pit stop (yes, i realize the answer to that problem is spec miata... and i'm not beyond going to the dark side).

I'm agreable to the changes, I think they are necessary for the health of the series.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I agree with splats, please dont make it a 2 driver event. I tow it there, i work on it and i race it. All done by 1 person and i love running the enduro's myself. Last year i ran a 2hr5min enduro at CMP by myself and it was a blast, i was able to take a second place finish in the ITB class. I just love driving in the ITB class.

Thank you
    Manny

For those of you who have not seen them, the new ECR rules for 2008 are at the following link.

http://www.sedivecr.com/

Krys Dean