Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Such a thing as a daily driver that tows?

Half wop, half Irish. Explains a lot, semantics schemantics!

I'd have a beer with Jake, but I'd probably just get drunk and crush his pansy little SUV with my monster diesel truck.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

But I really didn't want to turn this into a "CR are communist idiots who get hard over Camrys" thread. I'm representing my views here - not those of my employer.
    [/b]

That is humorous that you mention communists and CR in the same sentence. I like CR and use them from time to time to select things like washing machines, microwaves, and so on. But the car testing aspect of CR, well, it just always seemed (my opinion) to me that they had some sort of left-wing-liberal-hippie-granola-crunching agenda going on with respect to car choices. Hard to explain. Seriously, I do like CR.

Being as how CR has pretty much expanded testing into about all aspects of consumer goods, for better or for worse, when are they going to start testing firearms? It is that time of year where I exercise my option for purchasing firearms and I'm not satisfied with my usual information sources. I'm a bit tired of the standard stuff put out by G&A and the other gun rags. Maybe CR could bring some objectivity in on the testing. Again, I am being serious.

I used to think CR was a bunch of wussies when it came to cars, but I think they've gotten better. Jake works there! Keep in mind, the audience is different, and the market is different. They talk about things MOST people want in cars. But they also mention things we care about, just not to the same degree as the car mags, and thats fine.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

jeff and jake would get along fine over a beer...
    [/b]

Jake ,

.... Their problem is, they don't have a real job that requires a real truck for a "Daily Driver"

Check mine out...... Now that's a TOW vehicle. It will get the job done and it works every day 24/7...LOL

[attachmentid=1266]

Half wop, half Irish. Explains a lot, semantics schemantics!

I'd have a beer with Jake, but I'd probably just get drunk and crush his pansy little SUV with my monster diesel truck.
    [/b]
    LOL! If we ever meet, I'm buying the beer! (and I actually am semantic!)
    No hard feelings dude. Hard to get tone in an email (sometimes we sound pissed when we're not). I always enjoy a good discussion - part of being semantic I guess. :P

when are they going to start testing firearms? .... I am being serious.
    [/b]
    We've tested beer, wine, and condoms - why not guns? I only do cars, but I'll look into it.

BTW - do you know what one of our biggest requests is? Radar Detectors.

Jake
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

You should do a big comparo. Beer, wine condoms and guns all at once, get drunk, mess with the bisches and fire some gats. Tell us which is best!

Wait, I am a CR-reading wacko liberal (truly) -- forget about the guns.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I am always amazed when I remember that while a share an intense interest with so many of my online acquaintances and get a sense of their opinions about racing I really do not know anything about their views on anything else. Maybe we should have a poll on who has it right Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich.

Well maybe not.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

LOL - no thread is long enough if you want to start on politics with me.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Maybe CR should do a comparo on Presidential candidates?

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Okay, this has been an interesting thread. I have a GMC Yukon '98 with 196k on it. It has and has always had the worst brakes of any "truck" I have owned. Also own an 04 Audi A6 wagon - LOVE IT - even though CR says it is a POS. Currently have ITB VW and open steel trailer. As Greg pointed out I too have growing desires - would eventually like a 24-28 foot closed. I will soon replace the Yukon and I do not want another full sized truck or SUV. I do not like the idea of towing with anything short of a half ton truck/suv/van. The cost of a dedicated tow vehicle even if well bought used does not make sense. I know our hobby doesn't make sense either, but most of us must balance all the things we spend our $$$ on. So, lately I have been leaning toward renting and approppriate tow vehivle as needed for race weekends and even splurging on an RV rental for big weekends. The $$$ work out very well when compared to the total expense of a dedicated tow vehicle. Anybody aggree or disagree?????

Okay, this has been an interesting thread. I have a GMC Yukon '98 with 196k on it. It has and has always had the worst brakes of any "truck" I have owned. Also own an 04 Audi A6 wagon - LOVE IT - even though CR says it is a POS. Currently have ITB VW and open steel trailer. As Greg pointed out I too have growing desires - would eventually like a 24-28 foot closed. I will soon replace the Yukon and I do not want another full sized truck or SUV. I do not like the idea of towing with anything short of a half ton truck/suv/van. The cost of a dedicated tow vehicle even if well bought used does not make sense. I know our hobby doesn't make sense either, but most of us must balance all the things we spend our $$$ on. So, lately I have been leaning toward renting and approppriate tow vehivle as needed for race weekends and even splurging on an RV rental for big weekends. The $$$ work out very well when compared to the total expense of a dedicated tow vehicle. Anybody aggree or disagree?????
    [/b]
    The rental RV thing can look very attractive, but there are a couple of gotchas:

1) Most rental companies charge per mile driven. Adds up fast. So the economics depend a lot on how far from the track you are. Also remember that even though you may only be at the track for two days, you'll have to pick up the RV on Friday and return it Monday, at best, and that's 3 nights in their book.

2) Most rental companies have clauses in the rental contracts prohibiting you from towing with their RVs.

3) Many RVs are not really equipped to tow a 28-foot enclosed trailer. You'd be amazed at how close to their max GVWR they are just with the weight of the coach and all of the crap inside they are. Some models may list high tow capacities, but those are assuming that they are dry (no water, kitchen stuff, clothing, or people) and without many options. There are some that surely can do it, but not sure you'll find them on the rental market.

So it can work -- just do your homework.

FWIW, I have an '04 Suburban 3/4-ton with the 8.1L gas engine. Bought it used, the used market has totally tanked on these things. Gets crappy mileage but I love it compared to the Duramax diesel trucks I used before (a crew-cab dually and an 3/4-ton extended cab). I didn't own either one of those trucks but towed with them regularly. I'll take the big SUV gasser any day. And I have no complaints with the Suburban around town and in parking lots. It gets used only for towing and for hauling stuff around.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

There used to be a "CR for Guns". It was called Gun Test and I have all of their issues from '93 through '97, at which point I stopped shooting competitively and fell out of the hobby. It had no advertisements, they purchased firearms and tested them, just like CR.

I'm glad to have found this thread, because I am agonizing over a choice of tow vehicle for 2008. I'll take any and all advice offered, from Jake or anyone else.

I am going to start out with my open steel trailer and an ITA Neon. I used this trailer to tow everything from my piece-of-shit Lotus Seven clone to a '69 Jag, using my 2003 Discovery. The Disco has now been sold and I have no interest in owning any more Rovers due to this Tata buyout (different topic, I guess).

I won't stay with an open trailer, however; I'll probably do what everybody else seems to do and end up with a 24' enclosed at some point.

What to get? This will not be my daily driver, under any circumstance. I'll be using it strictly for towing. While I recognize and acknowledge the validity of the arguments for a daily-driven tow vehicle, I cannot stand driving trucks and I have three Porsches and a pair of Phaetons for daily use. I have an LLC and this is my year to take Sec 179, the last time was with the Disco in '03. Some of my thoughts:

* Sierra Denali with the 6.0 and 2WD
    * 2500 or 3500 Chevy pickups
    * Chevy vans

I'll listed to any and all arguments. Seriously. I'm fascinated by the trade-offs between a 1500 and a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If you end up with a 24' enclosed you can not go wrong with a 3/4 ton pickup. You can feel that it's back there but not by much.

Also the 179 starts the year you put the equipment in use and it's supposed to be for a full year IIRC.
    Tom Sprecher

I agree with Tom. If you are NOT using it as a daily, the I don't see much downside to getting the 3/4 or 1 ton, and also getting a diesel. You'll appreciate it when towing for sure.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Also the 179 starts the year you put the equipment in use and it's supposed to be for a full year IIRC.
    [/b]
    What I meant is that the IRS normally gives you five years to depreciate a car. So if you're a small business person like me who only needs one "work vehicle" and you do two 179s in less than a six-year-period, the IRS either wants you to justify the second vehicle or give some of the money back

Are you married and your better half is an officer of your company?

Tom Sprecher

jbaruth:
    "I'll be using it strictly for towing. . . . I have an LLC and this is my year to take Sec 179 . . ."

Just remember with an LLC and a combined weight (tow vehicle and loaded enclosed trailer) of over 10,000 pounds, you (or your driver) are required to have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and accompanying record keeping requirements. That includes a random drug testing program, annual training, logbooks, etc.
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

jbaruth:
    "I'll be using it strictly for towing. . . . I have an LLC and this is my year to take Sec 179 . . ."

Just remember with an LLC and a combined weight (tow vehicle and loaded enclosed trailer) of over 10,000 pounds, you (or your driver) are required to have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and accompanying record keeping requirements. That includes a random drug testing program, annual training, logbooks, etc.
    [/b]
    What about a sub-S?
    Tom Sprecher

jbaruth:

[/b]

Really? That's kind of cool... gives me an excuse to get a CDL and enjoy the various "Professional Drivers Only" facilities at truckstops. It turns out that "Professional Drivers" does not mean holder of a Grand-Am Rolex license

I appreciate the heads-up on that.

What about a sub-S?
    [/b]
    ANY business use of a vehicle 10,001 pounds (combined weight) and over requires a CDL. . . and fire extinguisher, emergency triangles, annual inspection, repair and maintenance files, . . .
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB