Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Such a thing as a daily driver that tows?

It is on topic, in the sense that subjectively, I think the new diesel trucks in Quad Cab form with a short bed and a single rear wheel make decent daily drivers.

Subjectively, I had a 99 2500 Suburban and it was a cantakerous, unreliable piece of crap. While the Dodge may be 8" longer, it - to me - feels smaller (perhaps due to the smaller cab), and seems easier to maneuver in parking lots. It's more comfortable, more reliable so far, and gets nearly twice the fuel mileage.

The 00s and up Suburbans are better vehicles, but I prefer the open bed utility when coupled with a closed trailer.

"A daily driver that tows" is the topic, and the answer is subjective.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The mid size SUV and aluminum trailer sound like the best alternative to me.. I never knew that diesels got such good gas mileage. That does give me a whole new perspective. thanks

Red face

Americans over-tow. You don't need a large truck, diesel, or any of that for recreational towing using an open trailer setup.

I use a Lightning with a 20ft enclosed and it works great. I like driving the truck daily, fun/fast, and it is comfortable. Like some of the others I've found a truck indispensable for racing and around the home.

But I second and third some of the comments about getting a mid-size SUV using that for commuting. I think you'd be fine.

Heck, on second thought maybe we should make IT more interesting. We could make it so that racers should be forced to tow to the track with a tow vehicle that is period and brand correct. I'd have to use a 70s Datsun truck, you wankel guys would have to use that wankel truck Mazda made. Honda people would be forced to tow with a CVCC Civic. Jeff would have to use a British truck and wouldn't ever make it.

Might help out the domestic car counts in IT! Suddenly that 70s Monza doesn't look so bad when considered with tow vehicle.

Careful Ron,

Any proposal that would not allow Jeff to make it is likely to move him to start speaking in tongues again
    Gary Gentry
    NC Region
    #4 IT7/ITA
    2008 CCPS ITA Champion
    2008 SAARC IT-7 3rd Overall
    2009 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    2010 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    #4 Car>>>Sad State of Affairs

Up zag! Slippemnor mi sassa du raddlerollem.

I hesitate to even mention this.....

I bought a new Dodge diesel tow vehicle Christmas last year. Best racing purchase ever. Great truck.

BUT, before settling on it, I actually looked at, negotiated over and nearly bought a 1985 Range Rover six wheel conversion with a four speed manual transmission and no a/c.

I can only imagine what my race season would have been like last year towing to races with that thing. Or not towing, as the case may be.

To get back on topic, that is NOT a viable option as a daily driver.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Here is the solution: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M-35-Milita...tem110206497655 just put the car IN the truck, you won't even need a trailer. Maybe not the best mileage, but it will get the same mpg whether it's empty or full.

With all the money you save you can go out and buy a Yaris or Versa to go for groceries, and your total fuel comsumption will still average out to 35mpg

Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

I'm really pleased with my half ton yukon XL as a DD. I went on the low end of tow capacity to help fuel economy, 5.3L with 3.42 gear. Tows 5k lbs great, with lots of room inside, and it's covered.

Works great for taking the whole family somewhere as well!

Mileage sucks, 13 in town unloaded, 20 on the road unloaded, 15 towing on the road.

60k miles on it, and, knock on wood, nothing on it has broke yet.
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

I've struggled with that for years.. I tried a full sized Ford and Chevy (hated them - clumsy and gas guzzlers), Astro van (nice form factor, but hated it - broke all the time), 4runner.. worked fine, but but didn't like it that much over all and handled sloppy, custom drive on car hauler - worked great but an eyesore, and not something to drive to work!. Basically I hate driving trucks unless I'm 4-wheeling.

Anyway, after lots of experimentation, we use my wifes V6 VW Touareg. Works great and can't even tell you are pulling anything. My trailer was custom made and only 900lb or so single axle with electric brakes. Its lighter than any aluminum one I've seen, and 1/6th the cost. Prolly gonna stick with this combo, and the wife loves the Touareg. Another alternative for me is a used Lexus LS400 if you like cars over trucks, but repair bills are whopping (wrecked mine).

LOL - I love it. Diesel HD trucks to pull a little car on an open trailer.

For the record, I test these things and the very BEST ones out there ride like crap, have stopping distances that border on dangerous, and are a b%t@h to fit in any parking lot (let alone a garage). And if you think you're saving money on gas - they don't do any better without a load than a gas powered light duty full-size truck. (EPA won't tell you that because they're EXEMPT from that and other silly safety regs). And don't forget that the Diesel is usually a $6-$7,000 option!

Don't get me wrong - there's a place for these things. If you tow over 10,000lbs on a regular basis - by all means go for it. Or maybe if you have a relentless desire to drive a garbage truck...

Heck, in Europe they routinely carry 3-5,000lbs with CARS. Believe me, they race there plenty and nobody drives full-sized pickups.

Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Thanks for being an ass!

The new Ford and Dodge diesels stop way better than the last generation Burb I owned, and as well as most mid size SUVs I've driven. Ride just fine, for me. Easy enough to park if you can drive. Dodge Cummins is low $30s if you look around.

Opinions are like assholes -- some people have two!

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

the OP needs to decide what he wants in a trailer and what his budget is. we can toss out tv options all day, but the entering arguement for what will work best is what the heck is he going to tow? how big, open or closed and how much does it weight (with all the racing junk). with that info, an appropriate recommendatoin can be made.

and 4dr full sized diesel trucks make crappy daily drivers unless you live in the boonies. loud, too big for suburban/urban parking spaces, won't fit in most parking garages due to height, and diesel fuel is currently WAY more expensive that premium unleaded gas. that big block suburban 2500 i used to have is looking pretty good right now....

marshall
    f-250 diesel that stays parked unless towing or hauling "stuff"
    M3 4dr daily driver

Jake, sometimes your sarcasm gets the best of you. <_<
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I don&#39;t know about testing them but for the past 20 years I have traveled the Southeast for a living in numerous vehicles and love my F250 4WD Crew Cab. I get 19-20 mpg OTR at the speed limit. Down here diesel is 30% higher that REGULAR in the winter and about par in the summer. I have to get more that 30% better mileage unless the V10 gets 14 mpg. The best my wife&#39;s Expedition can muster is 15 mpg. Plus the price we pay for gas vs. everything else is chump change.

The only vehicle I have ever owned that was more comforable OTR was my &#39;96 Caddi STS.

And yes they are a pain to park if your one of those fat lazy asses that has to park up close to the store so they don&#39;t have to walk too far. I&#39;m usually parked and in the store while the obese are still waiting for someone to pull out of that space they want.

Tom Sprecher

Dumb question, why is diesel, which is lower on the refinement ladder, so much more expensive than the other fuels? It can&#39;t be beacuse of economies of scale, can it?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Dumb question, why is diesel, which is lower on the refinement ladder, so much more expensive than the other fuels? It can&#39;t be beacuse of economies of scale, can it?
    [/b]
    This is an ENTIRE thread in itself, but generally diesel is the same as home heating oil. In the winter, when home heating oil is high in demand so is diesel and thus the price goes way up. The summer is the opposite extreme.

You are 100% correct that its cheaper to refine, but its economics that drive the price.
    Jeremy Billiel

[/b]
    Supply and Demand, 101.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I want to correct a error I made so I do not mislead anyone. Down here diesel is 10% higher that regular, not 30%. So unless you can get a gas engine to push around this beast and get 18 mpg (reality is more like 10mpg) diesel is the way to go. Plus the amount of power is incredible.

When I bought the truck 4 years ago diesel was cheaper that regular except in the winter due to competing with heating oil. When the EPA required low sulfur diesel the price went up and has not adjusted back down since and probably never will.

Whadyagonnado?

Tom Sprecher

Seems to me I remember it being higher, or nearly as high in the summer too. And trucks burn up plenty of diesel too. I guess it&#39;s more of a sensitive market then I thought.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I thought it was because of the low sulfer requirement of the the new engines, and this also affects the particulate emissions too. Since more steps are required to remove the sulfer from the bulk oil product the more expensive it becomes. Around there Diesel is more expensive than 91 octane super, thus it&#39;s about $0.25 more than regular which is higher than any where else in the country.

As for daily driver, I drive my &#39;94 Chevrolet S-10 (2wd, extended cab, regular bed) to work almost every day. I&#39;ve had it since &#39;94 and have nearly 190k on it, and it&#39;s not a bad tow vehicle with a 1700lb open trailer, a 2500lb race car and about 500lbs of misceleanous stuff. The motor/trans was the base for the 1/2 ton trucks and the axle was used in the V-8 F-bodys. I even get 14mpg towing.

STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

[attachmentid=1262][attachmentid=1262]
    As for daily driver, I drive my &#39;94 Chevrolet S-10 (2wd, extended cab, regular bed) to work almost every day. I&#39;ve had it since &#39;94 and have nearly 190k on it, and it&#39;s not a bad tow vehicle with a 1700lb open trailer, a 2500lb race car and about 500lbs of misceleanous stuff. The motor/trans was the base for the 1/2 ton trucks and the axle was used in the V-8 F-bodys. I even get 14mpg towing.
    [/b]
    ..... Now that sounds familiar, I tow my ITR BMW Z3 with my 99 Chevy S-10 long bed on an open trailer with about 650 lbs of extra stuff. I went to Barber MotorSports Park (1200 miles round trip) and averaged 16mpg