I towed 8 years with a Chevy Citation X-11 that I used to tow various ITA cars weight 2000 to 2500 pounds on a shop built 1100 pound 4 wheel open trailer w/surge brakes probably 5000 miles a year. All it needed was Air bag helper springs. Granted, we tow through flatlands of wisconsin indiana etc not mountains. It was comfortable and handled well.

I mention this because perhaps the modern equivalent in terms of power and size would be a VR6 golf stick . Assuming that you are judicious about carrying spares a hatchback and the racecar's trunk will easily carry the totes you need for a weekend race. For tire storage, I welded a nut for a 3/4" all thread rod and stacked them vertically on the tongue between the car and trailer. Put a plate and a nut on top, could stack six wheels no problem. For a small open trailer, anything with a big v6 and helper rear springs will do the trick, of course you will need a friendly fabricator to make or reinforce your hitch.

If you have the spare space to park, a pontiac transport 3.8 is an outstanding tow vehicle for light trailers such as above. You could probably buy the cleanest low mileage one in existance for less than $4k. My guess throw a trans cooler on one and they are good for 200k, Mine has 175k including 70k towing miles with minimal problems and 16mpg at 74 on the road. Another advantage is being a minivan, I can park it on the street all summer and nobody notices. PS, My transport has and needs air springs too. Also if you get a transport, you can actually buy bilstein struts/shocks for them. Between those and the air springs, it actually makes a pretty good handling rig.