Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Such a thing as a daily driver that tows?

I have an '06 F150 Supercrew shortbed. It drives like a car, gets about 21/17 on cheap, is about a half foot shorter than my pop's suburban, and has almost 10k towing ability. You can find an XLT (standard and seats six adults) in the low 20's and a Lariat (plush and seats five adults) for a little more. Plus, no one mentioned that some of the other vehicles would have to have a tow package added ($) if you didn't find a used one already outfitted. Tow package is standard equip on the 150.

Campbell,
    I guess the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you plan to really stay with an open trailer.

If your willing to stay with an open trailer in order to enable you to drive a smaller SUV as a DD....then that is a decision you will have to make.

I personally would be happy with my open trailer, but my wife is wanting an enclosed so she has somewhere to get away from the sun or rain, etc...

I towed a 1700lb ITB car on a 1200lb single axle trailer with my 97 Toyota 4runner for a couple of years. It towed just fine, even with @700lbs of stuff in the back.

I never measured the mileage while towing, but as a DD I got about 20mpg.

Now I own a 97 Dodge Cummins turbo diesel. It also gets about 20mpg as a DD.

But, the advantage is you can run your used motor oil mixed with the diesel to get even better mileage (Cummins recommends 10% I think...although some run much more with no ill effects). This is a good use of used motor oil in my opinion.

AND, you can brew your own biodiesel at about 75 cents a gal...if you get the used veg oil for free.

Lots of options with diesels that you dont have with gas.

But, if you are very certain open trailers are in your future for a long time, then you may consider a Lexus SUV hybrid. I'd find the best mpg SUV out there.

oh yeah,
    there is also the jeep cherokee that came with a diesel...last year I think.
    I think it has a tow cap. of 7K...and would imagine the mpg is pretty good. Might want to look at that.
    "Entropy sucks"

I will admit, I wish there was a deisel option for the F150 at the time. Biodiesel and used motor oil sounds like a great idea to cut the cost.

I towed 8 years with a Chevy Citation X-11 that I used to tow various ITA cars weight 2000 to 2500 pounds on a shop built 1100 pound 4 wheel open trailer w/surge brakes probably 5000 miles a year. All it needed was Air bag helper springs. Granted, we tow through flatlands of wisconsin indiana etc not mountains. It was comfortable and handled well.

I mention this because perhaps the modern equivalent in terms of power and size would be a VR6 golf stick . Assuming that you are judicious about carrying spares a hatchback and the racecar's trunk will easily carry the totes you need for a weekend race. For tire storage, I welded a nut for a 3/4" all thread rod and stacked them vertically on the tongue between the car and trailer. Put a plate and a nut on top, could stack six wheels no problem. For a small open trailer, anything with a big v6 and helper rear springs will do the trick, of course you will need a friendly fabricator to make or reinforce your hitch.

If you have the spare space to park, a pontiac transport 3.8 is an outstanding tow vehicle for light trailers such as above. You could probably buy the cleanest low mileage one in existance for less than $4k. My guess throw a trans cooler on one and they are good for 200k, Mine has 175k including 70k towing miles with minimal problems and 16mpg at 74 on the road. Another advantage is being a minivan, I can park it on the street all summer and nobody notices. PS, My transport has and needs air springs too. Also if you get a transport, you can actually buy bilstein struts/shocks for them. Between those and the air springs, it actually makes a pretty good handling rig.