Thread: "Best" fire suppressant?

So what is the best product to use as a fire suppressant in regards to damaging the vehicle (or yourself)?

I take it that AFFF is not acceptable for bottles, only fire systems?

Not sure I want to clean up my engine compartment after emptying my dry chem bottle on it.
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

Not sure I want to clean up my engine compartment after emptying my dry chem bottle on it.
    [/b]

I don't know first hand, but I've been told that you don't want to have to clean up after setting off an AFFF system, either.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Let's discuss the difference between Halon and AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam )
    In our world of SCCA racing a hand held AFFF bottle is not legal.

Halon pluses include: No residue to clean up, Small bottle size ( important more to the formula car guys), No damage to electrical compents, Non corrosive and non conductive, It used to be the suppression system to have and still is in a computer room.

Halon Minuses: Expensive to refill if you even can find some one to refill it ( Shipping a refilled bottle is a whole different matter having to do with DOT regulations), It can be blown away by the air stream of the car if you set it off while you are still moving or by a strong wind, It can be hazardous if inhaled by the driver, Halon has no reflash knock down capability ( once it is shot off and the fire goes out it oil is still dripping on your hot header, the fire could restart ), It is not legal to use in most countries outside of the US has a racecar fire suppresion system ( I know, I know most of us do not race out side of the US but still.... good to know), Depletes the ozone, No new Halon is being produced ( all the current stuff is recycled) so the price will only continue to go up.

AFFF Pluses: Complete systems are about the same price has a Halon system, Refills are cheaper ( On some systems you can even do them yourself! ), AFFF is water based so you can wash it away, Since it is water based it cools hot parts and can help prevent a reflash of a fire, Non corrosive and non conductive, Not hazardous to the driver, Much easier to ship refilled or new systems, Environment friendly.

AFFF Minuses: It is water based so the engine will probably not be happy injesting it if it is running, They are heavier than a halon system, The bottles are bigger physically than a halon system, You would need different nozzles if converting to AFFF from halon ( The halon nozzles do not atomize AFFF properly).

That's about it . Please feel free to contact me and we can discuss any concerns you may have.

Bob Clark
    Pegasus Auto racing Supplies
    [email protected]
    262-317-1225
    SCCA IT Advisorary committee
    #76 Cen-Div ITB
    #76 Cen-Div GTL