Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITA Miata?

ops no 6 spd gear boxes,, ,, evo,,,, lol,,, but im running a 1800 also with tien springs and shock, dont like them as much as koni or bilstein except the tien have enought adjustment to get you in trouble fast, the spring rate is another good question,, it runs the gammot of light to heavy,, with fast cars like andy running heavy front/rear,, depeinding on the track, a good start is 750/450 i guess,, i will suggest the cage made by spec miata,, easy to weld and comes in a kit, cheaper than having one made, im also running the spec miata front sway bar with stock rear bar, i want to try the pnp computer this next year,, as for brakes i guess blues and black is my choice if im wrong with my suggestion, you eastern fast guy tell me so i can get fast too, at 74 i need all the help i can get,

I would suggest the MiataCage kit also. Looking at your list I think you need to change a couple of things: Cold Air intake / needs to be just an open intake (can't have a scoop to the outside.) Flywheel has to be stock, Steering Rack can't be converted like yours. (Which I think is a stupid rule.)
    Your other stuff should be fine to get started. At some point you may want to get a salvage block and have it bored over. With the new open ECU rule the miata has a chance for more power. I think several IT miata guys will be running the Megasquirt Plug & Play (MSPNP) ECI this coming season. As far as I can tell it is the best bang for the buck.
    If you wanted to run both IT & SM you can adjust your prep to the SM rules and for the most part be legal in both classes. This usually puts you a little behind the curve in ITA, but then again the best SM times are close to if not better then the ITA times most places. Even with SM being about as popular as ever, there seem to be more and more miata racers coming over to IT. I have found that for the most part ITA has lots more racing with less fender fixing then SM.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

^^^ IPRESS -

Thanks -- that's the kind of knowledgable advice I'm looking for.

Regarding the steering rack -- Are you saying I would have to return the car to power steering in order to compete legally in ITA? Yuck.

I will be using the 7s Only Racing shop at Buttonwillow Raceway in SoCal to do the work to get the car prepped for CalClub ITA racing. The custom 9 lb. flywheel in the car is their piece. I gotta get rid of that too? Double Yuck.

7s Only will build me a custom cage. When it comes to safety, I don't plan to go the cheapest route. It's my a$$ I'm trying to save.

Thanks again for all the advice. Please keep it coming.

Yea, it sucks to go backwards, mods-wise! The thinking on those items is more categorical then vehicle specific. The flywheel, for example, isn't really "Needed" to go racing, so why allow lightened versions? If allowed, everybody has another item to spend money and time on.

That said, if you are going to be just starting, and doing the schools, etc, it's not paramount that you get those items legalized before you turn a wheel. For your school, the car must meet the safety regs....class legality isn't an issue.

Now, when you lead your first ITA race, well, thats another story!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

^^^ IPRESS -

Regarding the steering rack -- Are you saying I would have to return the car to power steering in order to compete legally in ITA? Yuck.

[/b]
    Nope, you just can't use a de-powered rack - technically. You CAN source a used manual rack or buy a new one from Mazdaspeed.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Nope, you just can't use a de-powered rack - technically. You CAN source a used manual rack or buy a new one from Mazdaspeed.
    [/b]
    Yeah what Andy said. Actually that is why I think it is so stupid. De-powering makes sense. But.....as you will find out not everything SCCA does makes perfect sense. There is usually a point that our rules gurus are trying to make. Maybe for some obscure IT car the de-pwering makes it a good bit quicker, in your car... not so much.
    As Jake said above, get it safe for the school and unless you are kicking everybodies butt right off, you should be okay getting it all the way legal in time.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

My OEM 5-speed gearbox is shot and needs to be replaced. I want to install a factory 6-speed, but I guess it's not legal in ITA. Is there any limitation on the type of LSD I install? Thanks guys.

Can't emphasize this enough: read the ITCS. It's short, maybe 20-25 pages and will not only tell you what is illegal, it will start that racer-brain of yours thinking about what MIGHT be legal.....

Rear ends are free within the stock housing. You can use any R&P ratio you want, and any LSD you want, so long as it fits in that stock housing.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

^^^

I'm reading the GCR 9.1.3 for ITA now. It makes my head spin. I'm used to unlimited mods at HPDE and open lapping days.

Theres no winning at HPDEs, although I wouldmswear i've seen some who think they are the HPDE nation Champ!

Sadly competition requires equization of equipment (or it's just a spending race, and even with equilization its a spending race LOL.)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Stupid question (you can really tell I'm a racing noob) -- Can I remove the windows in ITA (I mean the 2 wind up windows in the doors)? I don't see anything about it in the IT Specs.

Stupid question (you can really tell I'm a racing noob) -- Can I remove the windows in ITA (I mean the 2 wind up windows in the doors)? I don't see anything about it in the IT Specs.
    [/b]
    Not only should you look at the IT section, but there is another section for cages in GT and Production based cars (ie IT). That section will explain how the cage should be and explain about the windows. All in the GCR. SInce you are a noob to SCCA you really should skim the whole GCR. There is more in there than just car prep that you might need to read up on.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

^^^
    It says I have to run with the windows down and with an driver's side window netting. That IMPLIES that the windows cannot be removed, but doesn't say it outright. Did I miss something?

[/b]
    When Tom does your cage he's going to want to put in NASCAR bars. Having these bars allows you to gut the door which includes removing the glass. If you don't have NASCAR bars into the door, you can't remove the glass. This is in the GCR. (2007 GCR -ITCS section D.9.f (pg 316), 2008 GCR 9.4.D (pg 97))

-chuck-
    Current CalClub ITA champion.
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

"Theres no winning at HPDEs, although I wouldmswear i've seen some who think they are the HPDE nation Champ!"

sooooooooooooo true
    GBRRS RX7

Before anyone installs a miatacage.com PLEASE understand the ITA/Showroom Stock/Spec Miata rules............. There may be lots of them out there but they are NOT INSTALLED consistant within the rules............ Please don't use the couple loose sentences within the GCR to think that your allowed to get out the torch & start cutting out the welded box members between the A pillar & the cowel.

Back under the rock
    David

I didn't see anyone mention it, but you do NOT need a catalytic converter. You are a member of Mazda Comp (Mazda Speed) right? If not, become one.

Tak
    #29 ITA
    SFR SCCA

I can hardly believe we've filled almost 2 pages with this thread, and no one has uttered the I.T. Mantra....

"If it doesn't say you can..... you can't!"

Richard, keep repeating that to yourself as you read the GCR. It clears up a lot of things!
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8