Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITA Miata?

I am planning to go club racing with the SoCal region of SCCA (the "CalClub") in my Miata in 2008. It is a track day car that is not compliant with Spec Miata requirements, and I don't want to make it compliant because I don't like the Spec suspension and many of the other restrictions on modifications. Therefore, I would like to run in Improved Touring A Class.

Is there anyone here who runs a Miata in ITA? If so, please post a summary of your racing experience. Thank you.

I am planning to go club racing with the SoCal region of SCCA (the "CalClub") in my Miata in 2008. It is a track day car that is not compliant with Spec Miata requirements, and I don't want to make it compliant because I don't like the Spec suspension and many of the other restrictions on modifications. Therefore, I would like to run in Improved Touring A Class.

Is there anyone here who runs a Miata in ITA? If so, please post a summary of your racing experience. Thank you.
    [/b]
    Do some searching around this site, as well as www.rr-ax.com and www.raceconover.com. Both the 1.6 and 1.8 cars are very competitive.

Do you have any specific questions?
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

There are several VERY fast ITA Miatas in the SEDiv and the NEDiv. Andy Bettencourt, who posts here often, will be more than happy to help you. Steve Lawrence has a fast one. Mike Van Steenburg has a very fast ITA Miata, although I heard it sold (might be wrong). Check out his company's website (ISC Racing Services) for parts.

And, Bowie was too humble to tell you he has developed, owns and drives the fastest Miata that appears regularly at the ARRC, and won a SARRC championship (or three?) in ITA in the car.

All of those guys can help you with selecting (and avoiding) an engine builder, setup and other Miata quirks. Good guys all.

Good luck. I think they look to be a fun car in A, as they "go fast" in a different way than the Integras and 240sxs, and even the CRXs.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Bowie is affiliated with the shop that maintains my Golf (and neither he nor the car sucks at all) - Conover Motor Sports. They're actually doing a ground-up reshell of his Mee-otter.

http://www.raceconover.com

Cameron Conover can answer your questions and provide parts/service/etc.

K

Do you have a 1.8 or 1.6? I run a 1.6 in ITA in the mid south, but it is strictly a Spec Miata, and not to ITA specs. Mac Spikes runs a good, real ITA Miata here and does quite well (when he stays on the track). He's fast for an old fart. Goes by the handle IPRESS. Andy Bettencourt can help too. To me, the engine to have here is a 1.8 so you can lose the restrictor plate, plus you have bigger brakes. Have fun!
    1992 Mazda Miata #83 ITA/SM
    Eating Red Meat isn't bad for you...eating green, fuzzy meat is bad for you!

www.flatout-motorsports.com

Contact me and I will tell you what I know.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Miata prep wars throw-down! It's the Jets vs. the Sharks all over again!

Timmah...? Jimmah...?

Miata prep wars throw-down! It's the Jets vs. the Sharks all over again!

Timmah...? Jimmah...? [/b]
    Besides the 1.6 / 1.8 differences in the two cars, I THINK Boo-hee runs some much different spring rates too.

Do the Miata. Anyone can build one, anyone can win in one. They are so good it's unfair.

Andy Bettencourt

They are so good it's unfair. [/b]
    Must..resist...keyboard...of...death...

BIG

Must..resist...keyboard...of...death...

BIG [/b]
    We need a tongue-in-cheek smiley!

Andy Bettencourt

AHHHHH, them DAMN YANKEES fighting as always! :P OHHHH, I forgot you guys so far north that you are probably BOSOX fans.

BTW Andy, I ordered the MSPNP today. Not sure how much help it will be, but Saini and Shannon will have fun messing with it on the dyno. Got the Bilstein shocks custom valved (FatCat Motorsports) coming from the Left Coast so I am down to no excuses. My talent (or lack there of) level may be exposed!
    Looks like we may try crossing over a few times with NASA, which puts us in with some S cars at 2293lbs. I can't get to that weight, so I hope these new goodies help out.
    After ARRC, those dang Hondas should have the target on their backs. Good Lord they were turning some great laps.
    I got an idea... you and Greg switch cars one race and see if your still buddies!!
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

AHHHHH, them DAMN YANKEES fighting as always! :P OHHHH, I forgot you guys so far north that you are probably BOSOX fans.

BTW Andy, I ordered the MSPNP today. Not sure how much help it will be, but Saini and Shannon will have fun messing with it on the dyno. Got the Bilstein shocks custom valved (FatCat Motorsports) coming from the Left Coast so I am down to no excuses. My talent (or lack there of) level may be exposed!
    Looks like we may try crossing over a few times with NASA, which puts us in with some S cars at 2293lbs. I can't get to that weight, so I hope these new goodies help out.
    After ARRC, those dang Hondas should have the target on their backs. Good Lord they were turning some great laps.
    I got an idea... you and Greg switch cars one race and see if your still buddies!! [/b]
    We are at least so far north that the COLD is freezing our brains....

Let me know how you like the Bilsteins. I have always been a Koni guy but will try anything once.

I think Greg's 2006 success forced a bunch of teams to step up their programs. Programs that were thought preiviously thought to have been maxed out. It's pretty cool really.

Not sure what I would do with 20% more HP and a car that didn't turn...probably put it into a wall in T1! Now what we SHOULD do is take out someones Integra and have a run off. I would be up for that big time.

Andy Bettencourt

Now what we SHOULD do is take out someones Integra and have a run off.[/b]
    Hmmm.......

Hmmm.......
    [/b]
    The more I think about it, the more I think this would be fun! After the Teg, we can jump into a Spec Miata and see how everyone does without HP!

Yes, I like it. :evil laugh:

Andy Bettencourt

Wow, this discussion quickly digressed. It went from talk about Mitas to a Andy vs. Greg ego thread. Yawn.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Wow, this discussion quickly digressed. It went from talk about Mitas to a Andy vs. Greg ego thread. Yawn. [/b]
    Hey, its racing! You are welcome to put up too.

Andy Bettencourt

Wow, this discussion quickly digressed. It went from talk about Mitas to a Andy vs. Greg ego thread. Yawn.
    [/b]
    Dave, don't feel left out: you're free to brag about all your wins and championships, too, you know...Welcome to Lawton's world: have a seat over there and we'll be with you in just a minute...

:P

You guys hold it I will dial up JD in Memphis he usually can contribute to one of these "smackdowns"! :P

Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

I'm new here. Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I don't mind the thread hijacking or smack talk either.

My car is a '94 1.8 that is modified for HPDE track days, not club racing at this point. I need to ditch the 4-point rollbar and install a full custom cage, and make some other modifications to make it SCCA GCR comliant. Here is my current set up. Is any of this stuff illegal in ITA besides the rollbar (be nice, I'm a racing noob)?:

1994 Mazda Miata (base with R-model body panels)

Crate 1.8 complete engine from Mazda
    Boss Frog Rollbar with custom harness bar
    Schroth 6-point harness
    Sparco Sprint V driver's seat
    Racing Beat 4:1 headers
    Roadster Sport Race stainless exhaust and straight mid-pipe
    Jackson Racing high-flow cat
    Racing Beat cold air intake
    8 Team Dynamics 1.2 12-spoke wheels, 15" x 7"
    Nitto NT-01 size 205/50/15 on all wheels
    Tein Flex coil over suspension
    Cusco sway bars
    Koyo racing radiator
    Hawk brake pads - Black front; HP Plus rear
    Rally clutch
    Custom lightweight flywheel
    Momo 78 quick release steering wheel
    Factory hardtop (used)
    Interior stripped (removed passenger seat, convertible top and frame, airbag steering wheel, carpets, stereo & speakers, air conditioning, door panels, etc.)
    De-powered steering rack (per Flyin' Miata instructions)

Next modifications: limited slip differential & 6-speed gearbox

Go here -> http://www.scca.org/documents/Club%20Rules/GCR2008.pdf and look at the IT rules...you will refer back to it many times...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge