Thread: Going from ITS to EP

I'm in the middle of converting my ITS second gen to an E Production car. I have it stripped down and am going to start welding seams and cutting weight.

I know this is an IT board, but we're all racers, anybody have any "must do" suggestions?

Also, I have a bunch of stuff I will no longer need such as S-5 intakes, fenders, "the good one" stock ECU, etc.

Steve Smyczek
    414-339-5084

Welcome to EP Steve. I just sold my ITS and bought another EP RX7. I had an EP a few years ago and have some suggestions for what it is worth

You are moving from radials to slicks. The suspension has some radical camber changes that slicks do not like. Unless you want to spend a fortune on tires and go slower than a S car you need to deal with it. Set the chassis on jack stands and remove the springs from the shocks and bump steer the front and rear. Now check the camber as you move the suspension. Resist the urge to drop the car to the ground without seeing what it does. Slicks want to be flat--not cambered.

Do not add tubes that look cool and do nothing for stiffness. Plan the minimum.

Anything above your waist contributes to a high roll center. Mount low and if you can't, redesign until you can.

Have fun!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Steve,

I'm in the middle of a related project on my second gen. I got a bunch of good ideas by going to http://mazdatrix.com/epconv.htm This is detailed pics of a second gen EP build.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,
    Bob
    GBRRS RX7

Dave does some beautiful work. His car is fast and clean. I have a full suspension setup like his car for sale if anyone needs one. Full set of AWR shocks,spring perches, and all mounting hardware including camber plates. I got extra with the new car I bought. PM if interested.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)