Thread: Neon Oil Pans and oiling issues?

Do the SOHC's have any known oiling issues? Is a pan with baffles a good idea or is there other things that we can spend $400 on

Has anyone upgraded to the Moroso or Canton oil pans with the baffles? How about the crank-scrapers.com version that uses the stock pan?

Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Do the SOHC's have any known oiling issues? Is a pan with baffles a good idea or is there other things that we can spend $400 on
    Has anyone upgraded to the Moroso or Canton oil pans with the baffles? How about the crank-scrapers.com version that uses the stock pan?
    [/b]
    Known oiling issues? Not really. The windage tray helps, ofcourse. The DOHCs have issues with oil draining back from the head, as do the later magnums. In the case of the SOHC I have always ran a stock pan with a mopar windage tray. The issue recently with the Mopar tray is it is almost as much as that nice Moroso pan! I know that Dan Waleke, the 2006 NASA Spec Neon Champ has used the crank-scrapers.com part. He has lost 2 motors that I know of in the last 2 years.

The issue the 2.0 has really comes from over-rev'n them. The rods are marginal at 7500 and up. The SOHC should never see those kind of R's. I spun a bearing in mine at the ARRC this year due to a missed down shift, OPPS!

I wouln't recommend the canton piece for road racing, it is really heavy.

Also, keep an eye on the baffles in the valve cover, I have seen many of them rattle loose and leave the engine drawing oil into the intake. The indication this is occuring is the cloud of blue smoke you leave when you throttle on after entering a corner. If you tap on the valve cover it will rattle.

Hope this arms you with some info?
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Great Info! Thanks! Especially the valve cover baffle stuff!

Now that brings up the question of did Dan W. use the crank-scrapers piece and then blew up the motors? or did that solve his problem?

I don't think that Canton is making their pan anymore according to the info over at neons.org.

On the over-rev.. isn't there a rev limiter on the ACR ecu's???
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Great Info! Thanks! Especially the valve cover baffle stuff!

Now that brings up the question of did Dan W. use the crank-scrapers piece and then blew up the motors? or did that solve his problem?

I don't think that Canton is making their pan anymore according to the info over at neons.org.

On the over-rev.. isn't there a rev limiter on the ACR ecu's???
    [/b]
    I believe that Dan had the crank scraper in the engine this last time. I mentioned this, just for information, I have no idea what caused the last failure.

The rev limiter will not prevent an engine from over reving if you select a lower gear earlier than you should.

In my case the clutch started giving me fits and I was fussing with the car just to get it to down shift at all.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I have a 2001 with the SOHC magnum motor. What are the oiling problems that I should be aware of. Is it serious? Is the a solution. I have heard the the neons are prone to over oiling the head and as a result the intake will suck some oil and you will see some blue smoke every once and awhile. I heard that it was not a big deal and would burn off and not foul plugs. Is this correct? Any advice would help

I have just started using the Moroso Pan . It is a nice piece and we ran it in a few races (4) toward the end of the season. Had good oil pressure on the banking at Pocono. . We are installing it on my other 2 Neons this winter. It has a nice fitting for an oil temp guage and or a remote oil cooler built in.

Was Dan running the car low on oil looking for more power ?
    Greg Meindl
    #74 Dodge Neon ACR ITA
    #75 Dodge Neon ACR ITA
    #84 Dodge Neon ACR ITA Enduro
    #74 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe TA SVRA
    #74 Pontiac Firebird Formula T2 Sold on its way to Arizona !
    #74 Dodge SRT-4 T2 Sold residing in Indiana