Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Palmer Motorsports Park gains local approval

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As of Oct 2008, 'We are working with a major investor and builder and final approval is imminent. No construction yet. ' I don't know much more than that.

Also, check out: https://improvedtouring.com...t=23056&page=2
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

There was a big game-changing announcement at the annual meeting yesterday. I'll let Dick Patullo get home this afternoon to offer the details (they had a Board meeting today and are all on their way home now), but as I understand it the track's been sold to a single investor. NER retains rights to a specific number of muffled and unmuffled days. This, of course, is all rumor and innuendo, because I wasn't there to hear it first hand.

Like I said, let's wait for Dick for the gory details. But, it's well and truly moving along...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 01-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Announced last night at the meeting---all good news! Dick and multiple other folks did many years of hard work, and it paid off! Major investor, recognizable name, better track than originally envisioned! WOO-HOO!

On a slightly related note, at the Comp Board meeting today, Cathy Barnes suggested that Mr. Patullo be given a lavender T-shirt at the April Drivers School, labeled "Dick Instructor" For such a serious lady, she can be a grin!

THANKS Dick and all others who have worked so hard!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

Like I said, let's wait for Dick for the gory details. But, it's well and truly moving along...
    The 16 people in the region (the region’s board and NER investments LLC’s board) who know the details of the contracts are bound by the terms of the contracts not to discuss the details at this time other than an exception to report to the membership which I did yesterday with reasonable detail and that report will be printed in Pit Talk as well.
    However nothing prevents any member who heard the report from discussing it.
    I will say people seemed pretty happy. I couldn’t but a drink all night.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Default Palmer

The name of this track ought to be Patullo Motorsports Park. You are the man, Dick, and I hope you know we all realize it!

Steve Ulfelder
    Flatout Motorsports
    05 ITS

Only first gen RX7's need apply..right Dick...LOL

Actually things have been slow since February. Others cash flow caused the engineering to slow way down, however last month the taps were turned back on and 4 different companies are working again doing Civil engineering, environmental engineering, test bores and some exploratory excavation.
    Current hopes are closing by 12/31 and racing by mid 2011.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Why worry about a new track? Without workers and racers what would we do with it?
    Sorry, I just had to say it!
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    Why worry about a new track? Without workers and racers what would we do with it?
    If you only had one or two weekends at every track, then you would have workers AND racers!

2 at NHMS
    2 at LRP
    2 at Palmer

Then add the 'other tracks'

2 at NJMP (1 at TB and 1 at Lightning)
    1 at WGI
    1 at Pocono

10 weekends, more tracks.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy, in your circle, drivers are willing and can afford to travel.
    There are at leaset an equal amount that for many reasons stay local.
    Are you saying race weekends/events or NARRC races?
    If you are asking each region to only run two events, I don't see it happening.
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    LRP: On the verge of no longer being affordable. May go away.
    NHMS: Not as user friendly to us since it was sold, could also go away as far as SCCA is concerned.

Where we are in western MA, about 30 minutes from Palmer, it's like this:
    LRP 1.5 hour tow
    NHMS: 1.75 hour tow
    NJMP: 8 hour tow
    Pocono: 6 hour tow
    Watkins Glen: 7 hour tow

Lots of people can't or don't want to travel such long distances to race or work.
    THAT'S why we need to worry about a new track now before we lose them. And I can see a time when LRP is no longer an option.
    We lose the two tracks, we no longer have a 'home track' here in New England. No matter how many events there may be, losing your area's track will not be a good thing for the region.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

NHMS likes SCCA, with a new road course possibly in the future we could have lots of dates available. I understand we have been going thru some construction issues this year but they are certainly more user friendly than most tracks I'm aware of and priced very reasonably. What other track offers a full test and tune day for $150.?
    LRP will always be there and if NER dosen't run an event someother region will for sure as long as racers go. NER's best attanded event so far this year was LRP.
    If, sorry, when Palmer is up and running what then? If you read this forum all I hear is there are too many races now!
    Jerry
    NER South

Look at NJMP this weekend. It is an incredible facility with very deep pockets ( funded by Merrill Lynch) in an area that embraces and supports racing. It is located in a great area surrounded by millions of people within 3 hours. We have 214 cars registered for the Summer Thunder race this weekend on one track and they have a sold out BMW club event on the other track. I have been there on some weekends where they have 300-400 bikes a day on one track.
    Even though this is a great facility they opened during the worst economic time they are still doing very well and when things get better these guys will fly. I just hope owners of any prospective new track do their due diligence and marketing research and not work off of emotions to make sure a new track will support itself in an area. The only reason why NHMS can survive is because of NASCAR as in the case of Pocono. A new track better have some major plans and venues because it is hard to survive just off of amateur clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    Look at NJMP this weekend. It is an incredible facility with very deep pockets ( funded by Merrill Lynch) in an area that embraces and supports racing. It is located in a great area surrounded by millions of people within 3 hours. We have 214 cars registered for the Summer Thunder race this weekend on one track and they have a sold out BMW club event on the other track. I have been there on some weekends where they have 300-400 bikes a day on one track.
    Even though this is a great facility they opened during the worst economic time they are still doing very well and when things get better these guys will fly. I just hope owners of any prospective new track do their due diligence and marketing research and not work off of emotions to make sure a new track will support itself in an area. The only reason why NHMS can survive is because of NASCAR as in the case of Pocono. A new track better have some major plans and venues because it is hard to survive just off of amateur clubs.
    Bob....with all due respect, have you tried driving from Southern Vermont to Southern NJ? In a lighter vein, how much of our TARP money was used by Merrill Lynch to build NJMP?.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Bob....with all due respect, have you tried driving from Southern Vermont to Southern NJ? ?.....LOL
    I think Bob drives from New Jersey to Lime Rock as a daily commute, so no whining to Bob about driving long distances.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I think Bob drives from New Jersey to Lime Rock as a daily commute, so no whining to Bob about driving long distances.
    His coroporate jet must be in the shop, Jake...LOL. After all Bruce MacInnes lands on the front straight at LRP!

Years ago I was called a "Racer". We did not have all these forums to whine about things. I raced at Bryar (NHMS), LRP, Mid OHio, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Road Ameica, Saint Louis, the Glen, Pocono and Summit all in one year so I am not afraid to drive to Vermont.

Racers travelled to different events because they meant something and not the same place over and over again. At the time we followed the Firehawk series for three years and I even was in an event with 108 cars at Sebring. We did not have time for all the bs I see going on we put our money where our mouth was and got on the track and raced all over the place. Crap or get off the pot.......meaning we as SCCA MEMBERS need to work together to grow the sport. Personally I do not care where we race but I can tell you one thing Palmer will not be cheap unless somebody will want to take a bath. In 1978-1982 we averaged $15,000 per year per driver to race and that was with a car, trailer, etc.... already paid for. Do not complain about money because you guys are very lucky to do what we love regardless of price. If money becomes an issue than become a worker or on the board like me. I can no longer afford to race....I have other priorities but I still enjoy the races and the people. Instead of complaining so much about this or that lets see everyone do something positive. I am trying the best that I can and I know and appreciate the efforts of others.
    Last edited by Robert Zecca; 08-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.