Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Palmer Motorsports Park gains local approval

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Geezus. LESS EVENTS SOLVES ALL THE ISSUES. Less worker burn out, less 'supply' that spreads out the pretty static 'demand'.

Yup, business 101.

Then again business 101 doesn't apply to a beaurocracy, right?

The good thing is by the time that this hulking, slow to change behemoth of a club figures these things out the economy will be righted and all will be better.....(where's that tongue-in-cheek emoticon?)

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Geezus. LESS EVENTS SOLVES ALL THE ISSUES. Less worker burn out, less 'supply' that spreads out the pretty static 'demand'.
    Andy's right...less events. How about just one MEGA race per year at the new Palmer track. Limit classes to 100 cars( a few more cars on the track won't bother the spec pinata drivers any way). If we put the Formula VEE's in with the GT1's and SPO's that will stop their bitching about the danger of running with spec racer fords in some regions! Large salaries for all corner workers and deluxe accomodations at the Marriot in downtown Springfield.....LOL

But seriously...Andy is right and we need some consensus between organizers and participants on downsizing the number of events if we are to survive IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Bob....with all due respect, have you tried driving from Southern Vermont to Southern NJ? ?.....LOL
    I think Bob drives from New Jersey to Lime Rock as a daily commute, so no whining to Bob about driving long distances.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I think Bob drives from New Jersey to Lime Rock as a daily commute, so no whining to Bob about driving long distances.
    His coroporate jet must be in the shop, Jake...LOL. After all Bruce MacInnes lands on the front straight at LRP!

Years ago I was called a "Racer". We did not have all these forums to whine about things. I raced at Bryar (NHMS), LRP, Mid OHio, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Road Ameica, Saint Louis, the Glen, Pocono and Summit all in one year so I am not afraid to drive to Vermont.

Racers travelled to different events because they meant something and not the same place over and over again. At the time we followed the Firehawk series for three years and I even was in an event with 108 cars at Sebring. We did not have time for all the bs I see going on we put our money where our mouth was and got on the track and raced all over the place. Crap or get off the pot.......meaning we as SCCA MEMBERS need to work together to grow the sport. Personally I do not care where we race but I can tell you one thing Palmer will not be cheap unless somebody will want to take a bath. In 1978-1982 we averaged $15,000 per year per driver to race and that was with a car, trailer, etc.... already paid for. Do not complain about money because you guys are very lucky to do what we love regardless of price. If money becomes an issue than become a worker or on the board like me. I can no longer afford to race....I have other priorities but I still enjoy the races and the people. Instead of complaining so much about this or that lets see everyone do something positive. I am trying the best that I can and I know and appreciate the efforts of others.
    Last edited by Robert Zecca; 08-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.

GEEEZ..Bob. I just gave you that great compliment on this forum the other day about your service at the track........LOL

Bruce,

You forget I am now very old, Need Viagara and very forgetful. I am sorry. Did I mention I am having a bad hairday (lack of).

Sorry,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    Bruce,

You forget I am now very old, Need Viagara and very forgetful. I am sorry. Did I mention I am having a bad hairday (lack of).

Sorry,
    Bob
    Bob...no offense ever taken!! I think sometimes we all take ourselves way too seriously on these forums. we all want the same good racing,safety, friends to race with and sportmanship.

Everything else is just frosting on the cake.

Warm regards,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    Look at Topeka, here and gone regarding SCCA.
    I understand this is a NeDiv thread ... but despite all the griping from east of the Mississippi, Topeka is still here for the local SCCA racers.

It's still a good facility, and the track is enjoyable for the drivers (despite all the "improvements" to try and keep the Runoffs). And the worker amenities are better than MidOhio from a flagger's perspective. Oh yeah, and you should check with the Tech folks - I doubt you'll find a better "tech barn" at many of our local SCCA tracks.

Kelley Huxtable
    Des Moines Valley Region
    Proud Kansas taxpayer (and supporter of Heartland Park Topeka)

I know that a am a relatively new member and not a driver so I can't speak from the drivers point of view, but i am a volunteer(corner worker) and started out when I was 5 in T&S at LRP. I have had a passion for the sport for the past 35 years and hope to one day be racing. I will travel up to 4 hours to flag for the most part. I enjoy being part of it and watching the action. The only downside sometimes is the low car counts and occasionally being taken granted for by some regions. Most regions are very good with the treatment of all workers, but an occasional race or 2 where things aren't so good and i've traveled 4 hours to be there leaves a sour taste in my mouth(it's why i chew gum) anyhow getting to my point one of the problems I see with the sport in general is lack of exposure. That affects both the fan base and worker recruitment. I am a manager at an indoor go kart track in CT and have approached regions about having a booth or posting info at our track and nothing ever gets done. Whenever someone looks at one of our LRP brochures(we're a ticket outlet) they've never heard of it. When I talk to them about road racing, most aren't that familiar with it. We get all types through our doors and a good majority have motorsports interest. I feel it is a good group to try to get involved in the sport to help grow and get some new blood into the regions, but like others I have tried to help and can only do so much by myself. i agree that if the club as a whole is going to survive then we have to start to work together to make it happen.
    control is just an illusion

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

A really good resource for updates instantly is facebook... The citizens have created a page "FOR-IT"!!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/Palmerci...mermotorsports

Here is the newest picture that I have found of the progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. So, that would make it:
    NHMS near Concord NH, 1:45 from say Worchester, MA
    Thompson, in CT, :30M from Worchester, MA
    Palmer, In Ma, :40M from Worchester, MA
    And Lime Rock in NW CT, 2:00H form Worchester, MA...

All fall under the NER coverage area.
    As it is, we have a bunch of races that are possibly hitting the saturation point...not enough racers to go around.
    Now add two more tracks VERY close to the mix. Interesting times...

Skip (LRP) will just rent the dates to the marque clubs, if SCCA doesn't take them, I guess, ....but he has no real professional dates for next year. And if the Thompson and Palmer rents are less than $75K (AND they are SAT/SUN), I can see LRP being a one race per year deal, with NYR doing the Runoffs in late September as the only SCCA event.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jake

I can see LRP being a one race per year deal, with NYR doing the Runoffs in late September as the only SCCA event.
    This may be very close to reality in 2014. There were three SCCA dates at LRP this year but I can't see more than two dates next year, if that. With the diminishing SCCA presence and the loss of major pro races like Grand-Am and ALMS, Lime Rock seems to be devolving into a club track. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to command their elevated track rental prices without the glamor of pro racing and high level SCCA racing.

Terry

What Terry said. And it doesn't break my heart one bit...

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Wow. So, that would make it:
    NHMS near Concord NH, 1:45 from say Worchester, MA
    Thompson, in CT, :30M from Worchester, MA
    Palmer, In Ma, :40M from Worchester, MA
    And Lime Rock in NW CT, 2:00H form Worchester, MA...
    Yeah, but then you'd have to live in Worcester MA...

But what a great NERRC series!
    Two at NHMS
    Two at Thompson
    Two at Palmer
    One at LRP
    no need to travel far
    Jerry
    NER South

The even better part is One race a month for 7 months. Gives you time to go do "other" activities and stuff. 4 weekends between races is about enough time to rebuild a Dinosaur.
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

I like it a LOT! When Jerry mentioned this the other day, I said...gasp...I might even have to make it up to NHMS if it happens.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Would love to see a schedule that looked like that.... Would miss the other tracks we run, but the travel expenses saved would easily buy me an extra weekend or two!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    But what a great NERRC series!
    Two at NHMS
    Two at Thompson
    Two at Palmer
    One at LRP
    no need to travel far
    This is an awesome schedule! Have the narrc as that one event at lrp for the nerrc championship and it is my dream schedule for a series! :-)