Thread: ITR Mustang V8s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As long as they are classes right, I think this one car would have a positive impact on ALL of IT.
    [/b]
    I agree, just don't make it AS-lite. I ran AS for years and don't really care for what it turned into.

And don't be afraid to classify the earlier cars w/ the drum brakes. You don't HAVE to have rear discs to run IT. We ran ITGT for many years here in SEDiv with decent success. Same principal. Just make sure the classifications fit the goals laid out for ITR.

I also agree that the cars are out there in huge numbers and have excellent aftermarket support. Both make the car very attractive to Ford fans and non-fans alike. May not be the front-runner in the class, but for people who love to race V8s it would be a hoot.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

I agree, just don't make it AS-lite. I ran AS for years and don't really care for what it turned into.

[/b]
    Well, if you think it is a good idea please write in support of it. One of the arguments I saw someone bring up against the cars in ITR was "The SCCA already has a place for those cars, AS".

I addressed this in my proposal in case someone brought it up. AS rules are far and away far from IT prep, competition levels smaller, costs higher, and so forth. AS has nothing to do with IT really.

Ron

Well, if you think it is a good idea please write in support of it. One of the arguments I saw someone bring up against the cars in ITR was "The SCCA already has a place for those cars, AS".
    [/b]
    I don't know about writing in support of it, as I don't plan on building one. From someone who spent the past 6 years building my own car in my garage, I have no interest in doing that again. Even with my fondness for Mustangs.

One other item to include in your arguement might be using it as a stepping stone to AS.

ITR pony cars > AS

much like

most of IT cars > Prod

It makes a lot of sense in the broad view. I'm certain that, given the bastardization of what AS used to be, there are guys who would build/race those cars in ITR that might otherwise be turned off from racing AS. I also think that classing the V6 vs V8 cars in the same class at different weights adds to the novelty of it. I mean that as a positive (being a draw), rather than as a negative (being silly).

A little nostalgia below for the Ford guys:
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

One other item to include in your arguement might be using it as a stepping stone to AS.

ITR pony cars > AS

much like

most of IT cars > Prod

[/b]
    That is a good argument, wish I'd thought of that. White suits in Topeka would love it!

It is an argument that I don't buy though (but I'd still use it!). I got the latest issue of Sportscar and had a long chuckle looking at Prod and National class participation numbers nationwide. One, two, three, four, and five car fields on average for a LOT of those national classes. Looked like to me the only thing that approached or eclipsed IT numbers was SM and SPF. Don't think many IT racers go to Prod. I know I don't plan to do that.

Ron