Thread: Rims hitting Caliper

I have tried two sets of aftermarket wheels (Panasports and Revolutions) and both of them barely touch the caliper carriers where I have circled in blue. I end up having to run a 10mm spacer to clear it.

Do you guys run into the same problem? In the bentley there is a picture of the carrier and it doesn't have that bracket connecting the two ends. I don't know if that was just removed for the picture or if you can actually get some like that, has anyone ever seen a pair like that?

For a MK1 with vented rotors.

Those are not Rabbit factory brakes... - GA

Those are not Rabbit factory brakes... - GA
    [/b]

What he said!
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

Interesting, I had a feeling about that. I gave them my old set to get rebuilt and they came back with the pins not fitting and a few problems and a month down the line I got these back.

This is what they are supposed to look like correct?

Since now I don't know what I have, it appears that just the carrier is wrong correct not the actual caliper?

Thanks for the help.

This is what they are supposed to look like correct?[/b]
    Looks better.

Generally speaking, all later-model Rabbits with Kelsey-Hayes pretty much got the same brakes, the only difference with the GTi was the vented rotors (all non-GTi were solid).

...it appears that just the carrier is wrong correct not the actual caliper?[/b]
    Hard to say, but those pads don't look right, either.

Could these be 16V Scirocco brakes? It's been too long for me to say for sure.

I belive the 85 and up A1s had that style carier. the caliper is the same......

Lael
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

OK I think I got it figured out. :026: Its just the wrong carrier, I'll just have to go to the junk yard and get a carrier.

Its an 83 GTI so it has the vented rotors. I know they aren't scirocco 16v brakes because those have the curved carrier(brothers car has them and all the wheels fit on his).

I know the pads are correct because I got them from Bill @Bildon, maybe the inside and outside pads are on the wrong side.

Thanks for the help !

I had an 1987 Scirocco AutoX car that had those carriers, and some of the carriers had just enough "casting crud" that they rubbed on my Revolutions. a trip to the Junk Yard for another pair eliminated the rubbing. it was just a small part of the casting I dont know the technical term, but it looked like a joint of 2 parts

Matt Bal

As the others have said, they're definitely not Rabbit brakes (calipers look to be correct K-H, but can't say for sure).

Also, I don't believe that you can 'flip' the pads (put the inside pads on the outside), but it's been a while.

Finally, I spoke w/ someone several years ago about powder-coating calipers, and he said that it was a bad idea, as it reduced the ability to dissipate heat.

I also don't think they're Scirocco 16v calipers/carriers, for the simple reason that those take 10.1" rotors, not 9.4".