Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: CCPS at CCR CMP National

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    So, in a way, the oil pressure problem was a good thing. The race diety moves in mysterious ways.....

Who else is going? Steve/Anthony? Any updates on repairs?
    The race Diety, praise be unto him, was kind to me and my right foot as well. Recall that I thought it was the transmission that broke. After taking the motor/tranny out and separating them, I found a much more ugly scene. The center of the clutch disc was broken out. That was a very good thing because behind it I found that one of the flywheel bolts had backed out. With nowhere to go, it acted as a lathe and started shearing off the other bolts. Long story short, if the clutch hadn't busted when it did the flywheel might have departed the crankshaft at 7,000 RPM.

Assessment:
    Clutch- obviously done.
    Flywheel- done, due to elongated holes.
    Crankshaft- done, for the same reason.
    Tranny- maybe salvagable, we'll see.
    Right foot- still attached.

As for VIR? I'll try. I have a spare transmission. I can get the clutch. I just don't know if I can rebuild the motor in time.

Do you guys know anybody that runs a transmission blanket/scattershield?
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Holy hay-soos Batman!

You could have gotten hurt. Ron had a similarish failure on the Jensen last year; we both talked about getting scattershields and honestly should have. Other than a heart attack, that is probably the easiest way to get hurt in an IT car. Flywheel failure of some sort.

If you get one made, let me know. I'm definitely doing it this summer.

Hope you make VIR.....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post

Do you guys know anybody that runs a transmission blanket/scattershield?
    Bad news Steve, I'm glad you are okay. That could have disastrous results.

Funny you mention that as Jeff says....

My car was built in Atlanta originally. We have always wondered about the odd gas pedal. It is made from like 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum, is overly large, and has a "wall" bent up on the right hand side of the pedal that come up to your ankle almost. Finally after talking to some people it dawned on me what it is - the pedal is to be protection from things that fly through the transmission tunnel.

Upon further inspection when we first pulled the motor out in 2007 I found that a kevlar blanket is riveted, with a nicely shaped steel frame to hold it, to the inside of the transmission tunnel on the driver's side. I thought it was a heat shield, but the header was wrapped and this is not heat shielding, but "scatter sheilding".

After the JH incident I'd run one if I didn't have this stuff in the Z now.

Get that motor knocked out. If you need something that we might have let me know.

We got the new engine shortblocked this weekend. We should have the engine back in the car this weekend and be able to set it up again. We plan to run the VIR CCPS and the ECR (with a co-driver) and we should have another driver in the car for the SARRC.
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54