Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowe's cancelled again

Well the title of this thread is now self fulfilling. The CCR BOD voted to remove this race from our schedule. We are looking at options to replace it but do not expect an announcement anytime soon.

Factors leading to this decision:

Pending closure at the time of Lowes by owners that put all race dates there on hold.
    MARRS series decided to stay home this year for all races and just a SARRC was too big a risk.
    The expected rate increase that made it even less of a possible break even event.
    Economy that is expected to see a drop in numbers at many races.

Long story short we have made the decision to bag it for 08 and focus on our National in Feb. at CMP and Memorial day double SARRC/CCPS/ECR at CMP. We are looking at adding a time trial or PDX to Monday as we will be racing Saturday and Sunday with a similar schedule to last year. Worked well to give the drivers with a long tow Monday to get home. Wanted to get this out so you can plan your race schedule for 08.

We would also like to encourage some of you to try hillclimbs this year. We have 2 of the best sites we have ever run. Wolf Ridge, and Eagles Nest.

Thanks to all that supported CCR races in 07 and we look forward to another great year.

Steve Eckerich
    Assistant RE CCRSCCA
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Dang -- that stinks.

Any chance you guys can contact Andy Hillenburg and move the date to Rockingham???
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I already had Lowe’s on my calendar.

That’s OK as The Monster was my next choice. Maybe next year I’ll get the chance to run the banking.

Tom Sprecher

I'd go for that. Attended and attempted to run this event last year. Can't say that the infield is as good as Lowe's, but I had a blast. Towing through Monroe sucked, but I liked the track and had a blast. Would love to see this happen. How can I help, Steve?

Scott Franklin
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Towing through Monroe sucked, but I liked the track and had a blast.[/b]
    How were the transitions? Also, I travel that stretch of 74 on business and it all sucks. They need to make the "future I-74 corridor" happen now. If Rockingham ain't in the middle of nowhere, then I'm pretty sure it's nearby.
    Tom Sprecher

On and off the banking? The transition off the backstraight was not too bad. Just a bit slippery.

Onto turn 3 banking can be a problem if you hit it wrong and go straight up the hill. All in all, probably similar to Charlotte and much better than Nashville.

The Rock is only about 90 minutes from Raleigh. Bring it on CCR!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

How were the transitions? Also, I travel that stretch of 74 on business and it all sucks. They need to make the "future I-74 corridor" happen now. If Rockingham ain't in the middle of nowhere, then I'm pretty sure it's nearby.
    [/b]

Middle of Nowhere is just right down the road from there.....headed South, me thinks

I had a blast at Rockinham this year....it was my first race as a novice. There was much talk, prior, of a "poor transition" out of the infield onto Nascar 4 and I saw many drivers having some trouble there because they chose to try to get up onto the banking too soon (really no need to do that as far as I could tell). I'll definitely go back this year. It'll be intersting to see if the new ownership is doing any general "sprucng up" of the grounds...irrespective, it's great that they are welcoming us with open arms.

And I would have liked to be able to run Lowes this year....have been to quite a few SEDiv events there and it looks like a cool track to run. Oh well....
    Gary Gentry
    NC Region
    #4 IT7/ITA
    2008 CCPS ITA Champion
    2008 SAARC IT-7 3rd Overall
    2009 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    2010 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    #4 Car>>>Sad State of Affairs

The transition back onto the oval at T4 is AWFUL if you bonehead it and decide that carrying speed into and through the chicane is more important than getting a good exit from it onto the longest straight on the course. I saw a person (who I believe was a first time competitor) actually snap the RF corner off of their Honda in T4 from pounding straight onto the banking at a 90* angle. However, most people entered the oval from the apron just before the beginning of pit wall. Pretty darned smooth that way!
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I was at the Rockingham admin office yesterday on another subject. Did not talk to new owner but to his 2nd in charge. In casual conversation he seemed very open to SCCA.

It is disappointing the race at Lowe's was cancelled. I don't understand why more people didn't attend that race in the past. Maybe people are intimidated by a real racetrack. I enjoyed every second of the IT race and the ECR two years ago.

But, if Lowe's isn't on the schedule I say put Rockingham in place of that date. The transition off the back stretch into the infield is just fine and an excellent place to pass. The transition onto the banking in NASCAR 4 is not an issue either as long as you don't head straight up the banking coming out of the turn. It doesn't take much to stay on the apron until the angle of the track to the apron decreases and you can make a smooth transition. Hitting the banking immediately is a good way to add a full second to your lap time anyway.

I really enjoyed Rockingham last year and would like to see it on the schedule several times.