Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NER Schedule

Anyone know if there is a schedule tentative or final for next season yet?

The NERRC doesn't seem to be out yet but the NARRC is.

www.narrc.com

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Excellent!

The schedule looks really good this year! The new track in South Jersey! Watkins Glen!! Excellent. No conflict with the IT Fest at Mid-Ohio!!! Even better!!

So, if the dates are set in stone, and the points awarded per finishing position are set in stone (nice job by the way!!!) how about the rest of the rules? How many races count? Are there bonus points for multiple tracks? Are there any "penalties" for not racing certain races or certain tracks??

I want to get out the 2008 calendar and start planning for next year!

Thanks,

Tim M
    Tim Mullen
    # 86 ITB
    2006 NERRC Champion - ITB
    2006 NARRC Champion - ITB

Excellent!

The schedule looks really good this year! The new track in South Jersey! Watkins Glen!! Excellent. No conflict with the IT Fest at Mid-Ohio!!! Even better!!

So, if the dates are set in stone, and the points awarded per finishing position are set in stone (nice job by the way!!!) how about the rest of the rules? How many races count? Are there bonus points for multiple tracks? Are there any "penalties" for not racing certain races or certain tracks??

I want to get out the 2008 calendar and start planning for next year!

Thanks,

Tim M [/b]
    All excellent questions. The NARRC committee is finalizing their package as we type but here are the recommendations I made to the group at the NARRC meeting a few weeks ago in CT - all based on driver feedback:

- Dates are pretty firm but will get locked in soon

- Best of 8 recommended. Feedback was all over the board but majority wanted the same as last year

- Given the new point structure (much higher numbers) we have recommended a 75 point-per track bonus. In order to be eligible, the track HAS to have 2 seperate weekends on the NARRC schedule. This means only Pocono, NHIS and LRP are eligible in 08 (note 2 race weekends at Pocono). Hopefully we can get more weekends at WGI and NJRP in 09. This gives you 2 chances to get the track participation bonus at those 3 venues.

- The WGI weekend is a double

- We get to race at NJMP!
    Andy Bettencourt

Don't forget the possible inclusion of Palmer in 2009 as well, and perhaps the removal of NHIS depending on the intentions of the new ownership.

Double at WGI is huge!!!!

I like the run groupings. Nice job!!

Group 6 will be interesting...........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Great job to those who made changes.

Schedule looks great, and only time will tell how the points system works.
    But I am happy that atleast something was changed, a little tweak or two after this season, and we should have the beginning of great series to be a part of.
    Kevin Anderson

All excellent questions. The NARRC committee is finalizing their package as we type but here are the recommendations I made to the group at the NARRC meeting a few weeks ago in CT - all based on driver feedback:

- Dates are pretty firm but will get locked in soon

- Best of 8 recommended. Feedback was all over the board but majority wanted the same as last year

- Given the new point structure (much higher numbers) we have recommended a 75 point-per track bonus. In order to be eligible, the track HAS to have 2 seperate weekends on the NARRC schedule. This means only Pocono, NHIS and LRP are eligible in 08 (note 2 race weekends at Pocono). Hopefully we can get more weekends at WGI and NJRP in 09. This gives you 2 chances to get the track participation bonus at those 3 venues.

- We get to race at NJMP!
    [/b]
    What is the new points structure?
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

What is the new points structure? [/b]
    It will be up on the NARRC site soon but it starts at 250 points instead of 12. Pays out 38 positions instead of 10.
    Andy Bettencourt

We also felt strongly that trying to not change the run groups would lead to mutual understanding amongst the racers, and hopefully eliminate some of the "red mist". I personally am hoping that the run groupings will be a sucess so that we can use them from season to season without "starting fresh" each year.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Thanks to all those that made the changes happen. They look like a good new start

I will be interested to see how the new points structure may change things up a bit???

Thanks again!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Thanks to all those that made the changes happen. They look like a good new start

I will be interested to see how the new points structure may change things up a bit???

Thanks again!!!

Raymond [/b]
    I ran the 'new' points structure through all of the IT classes and it didn't affect anything EXCEPT for the elimination of the need to 'qualify' for double points for the NARRC Runoff. Without that, 3rd, 4th and 5th in ITB get swapped around because Nat didn't go to the event and Richie and Paul would get double where they didn't this year IIRC.

Andy Bettencourt

I ran the points for SSM using the new system.

It wish it was more different.

Like the old system, low entries heavily benefit those that show up. Like Pocono
    also the Double points for the Runoffs is way to much when giving out 250 for first. I just don't think any one race should be so important.

If someone who can win, goes only too Pocono the Runoffs, and two other races. They can win the championship in just 4 weekends. There is a flaw in the system if that is possible. I am sure this would be the case in almost any class.

Lets say Gorrarian goes to Pocono on mothers day. Wins both days 500 points, then maybe shows up again for 2 other races and wins 500. Now he comes to the Narrc runoffs and wins double, 500 more points.
    Thats 1500 in 4 weekends. enough points to wrap up the title in probably any class. It is possible with drivers like Gorrian , Leverone, Ferguson, (i only know miata drivers) etc. I am sure every class has it drivers to sweep like that.

I think we need a system that it is mathmatically impossible to win a championship showing up to less then 6-8 races.

I think a system that give points for every car you finish ahead is better, And I think double points for the last race is way to much, I dont think you should get any bonus points, but I know many of you want to make that race "special" so then just a 100 points to the winner only would be better.

Did anyone run the points for ITA, SRF or SM?

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

I ran the points for SSM using the new system.

It wish it was more different.

Like the old system, low entries heavily benefit those that show up. Like Pocono
    also the Double points for the Runoffs is way to much when giving out 250 for first. I just don't think any one race should be so important.

If someone who can win, goes only too Pocono the Runoffs, and two other races. They can win the championship in just 4 weekends. There is a flaw in the system if that is possible. I am sure this would be the case in almost any class.

Lets say Gorrarian goes to Pocono on mothers day. Wins both days 500 points, then maybe shows up again for 2 other races and wins 500. Now he comes to the Narrc runoffs and wins double, 500 more points.
    Thats 1500 in 4 weekends. enough points to wrap up the title in probably any class. It is possible with drivers like Gorrian , Leverone, Ferguson, (i only know miata drivers) etc. I am sure every class has it drivers to sweep like that.

I think we need a system that it is mathmatically impossible to win a championship showing up to less then 6-8 races.

I think a system that give points for every car you finish ahead is better, And I think double points for the last race is way to much, I dont think you should get any bonus points, but I know many of you want to make that race "special" so then just a 100 points to the winner only would be better.

Did anyone run the points for ITA, SRF or SM?

Kevin Anderson

[/b]
    Kev,

I ran the points for all those classes. Feel free to call me to discuss.

Also, if you came in 3rd at 7 races and the NARRC Runoffs, you would have 1530 points in the new system - and more than your example above - beating the guy with 4 wins plus a win at the Runoffs. Seems ok to me.

Not sure why you are using Pocono as an example here...

You also have to understand if that person only shows up for 4 races, there are 10-12 more for 'others' to win and eclipse their totals.

This system doesn't change the weight of the previous system - it just pays out much deeper. As far as awarding points for everyone you beat (like NYSRRC), I love it but it is a TON more work for the pointskeeper.
    Andy Bettencourt

Kevin,
    You also have to understand that pointing only 9 positions (old systems) hurts more than it helps most guys in large classes like ITA, SSM, SRF etc. By pointing further back the hope is that we'll have more guys "in it" at the runoffs, making for a better subscribed and more "important" championship.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I didn't really care for the old system, mostly because of the bonus points for showing up.

But I am really excited about the new system, I just think it "may" be flawed. But a season or two will show.

The only thing I really disagree with , is the double points for any event. No one race should be any more important when winning a championship. I think if you want to make single event "special" or "important".
    Then offer a great trophy, or some other "bragging right". I would even agree to some bonus points. But doubling? seems excessive to me.

All in all, I think what was done is a step in the right direction.

Kevin Anderson

[/b]
    Better check that. According to the schedule I've seen, the July Regional at WGI is currently scheduled as a single, which is what it has traditionally been. The Sept. Regional is the only WGI double on the schedule right now.

John;

can you point me to the Glen region's 2008 schedule? The only thing that I can find online is for 2007.

thanks,

tim m
    Tim Mullen
    # 86 ITB
    2006 NERRC Champion - ITB
    2006 NARRC Champion - ITB

Schedules aren't "officially" published yet...just going by the documents that have been circulated post-NEDiv Mini-Con three weeks ago. "Official" NEDiv schedule will be out in several weeks.

I shot an email to EdZ (Glen Region RE, conflicted Spitfire/Miata driver, Wolseley owner) asking about "single" vs. "double". I'll update.

And the survey says...(ding ding ding ding): "Single sanction, qualifying race on Saturday, race on Sunday, points awarded for both races".