Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fire Suits

Raymond, et al...

You're missing the point on the rule proposal. Re-read that rule and this ENTIRE TOPIC and you'll see that the issue is NOT that additional certified suits are allowed, it's that certified suits would be REQUIRED.

Go to your GCR and read the list of suits that are currently allowed. Note that many of those, especially those that have worked perfectly fine for years, will, at the stroke of a pen, become illegal for use in SCCA. I have, for example, a very high-quality Italian FPT Linea Sport suit in my closet that would not be usable.

So, again, re-read that proposal in Fastrack. If you wish to unilaterally prohibit the use of a large percentage of suits currently in use, then by all means write in your support on the matter. But, if you, like me, believe that the current standards are more than adequate, I encourage you to write in opposition to such regulations.

Greg

monkey I assume Greg's post cleared up any confusion. he is spot on.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Default Old Fire Suits

Greg:

Interesting to hear about the Linea Sport suit. I've still got some Linea Sport underwear and a dual eye port balaclava from way back when I use from time to time.

My issue is my 2-layer Simpson suit is 25+ years old. I bought it in 1981 I think. Still looks like new (though a bit more snug than back in 1981)... But, no labels at all.

I've thought about contacting Simpson about retrofitting a label, but I suspect they will laugh at me.

Time to buy a new one me thinks. Probably a good thing as I believe some amount of air between me and the suit as an insulator is probably a good thing.

Rick

Default BMW CCA CR Fire Suit rule update

This is a bit late of a follow-up, but BMW CCA CR has revised the wording of the firesiut rules to align with NASA. This was a result of the same wording change initially that started this whole thread.

Here is the updated language, if it helps anyone:

08-0022 Jan 23, 2008 Safety SAFETY Are FIA 1986 3 layer Nomex fire suits manufactured after 2000 with shoulder epaulettes allowed? BMW CCA Club Racing Rules as written require only specify FIA 8856.

>>
    1. Driving suits shall carry a rating of SFI 3.2A/1 rating or higher (3.2A/5, 3.2A/10, 3.2A/15, or 3.2A/20) or FIA 8856-2000, FIA NORME 1986/1986, or FIA 8856-1986.
    a. SFI suits rated 3.2A/1 must be worn in conjunction with full length upper and lower fire rate underwear. This update is in the 2008 Rules V13.2.