Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The VIN Requirement Rule

I'm in favor of doing away with the VIN rule. I would love the opportunity to cheaply upvert (wd?) my ITC ride into an ITB car... I'm already out qualifying several of those cars on the grid only to be passed later in the race.

As for adding a sunroof, only to deleat it later... that's wasted money and effort. If the car makes weight, does it matter? In fact, if the high centered additional weight is the concern, then a stipulation to add weight up high could be added.

Nontheless, going and racing ITB would only add about $1500 expense to my already built car... vs building a new one for $7000 or so.

hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Come, come to the dark side Hoop. Joooiiin ussss.

K

Father?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Dunno. What's your mom's name?

K

Dunno. What's your mom's name?[/b]
    Like you would remember.

have we realy gone too far? quoting star wars, how nerdy can we get?

the price on the conversion is now $800 for a donor car. that's cheap!
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Hey Hoop! I still have Mike's old RX7 shell available (that may be legal soon) if you are still interested in ITS!

-bill

So if this happens, are there any cars in ITC that cannot put in a new motor and go play in ITB?

-Tom
    who is "just asking"
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

The Datsun 510s that all run ITC out here are stuck. :P
    Whoomah!

Russ Bowlus
    SFR SCCA
    Shopping for an IT car

Hey Hoop! I still have Mike's old RX7 shell available (that may be legal soon) if you are still interested in ITS!

-bill
    [/b]
    I have possible project car. something a lot less expensive than the RX7.

So if this happens, are there any cars in ITC that cannot put in a new motor and go play in ITB?

-Tom
    who is "just asking"
    [/b]
    Well, they killed off ITD many moons before I came along, so the precident has been somewhat established. This would be a great way to kill off a class that is limited in its ability to add new cars to the mix.

hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

ITD was never a nationally recognized Regional-only class (i.e., it was never in the GCR/ITCS). It happened in some regions, however.

The revised VIN rule was certainly never envisioned by the noisiest guy who bugged the CRB about it (me) to hasten ITC to its demise. If it helps some C entrants convert their cars to B to pursue their own interests - faster car, bigger field, whatever - that's cool though.

K

When the ITAC discussed this, the possibility of using this rule to "off" ITC NEVER came up.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

ITD predated my involvement... I didn't know it was like ITT, regional only. As for "offing" ITC, I'm not looking for that, just the opportunity to run with more of the guys I'm already running with. That's all. Heck, If need be, maybe I should start a whole flee of rental ITC rides, so I can get some contingency funds I understand my old Fiat is fixed and available.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

So where does the discusion now stand? I got the feeling from the Honda thread that the board is going forward with this. Is that the case? Do I need to start searching for a FI setup for my honda?

Thanks!
    hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

It was listed in Fastrack as under consideration. If you haven't already done so, write your letter of support. Until they finally act, it's not certain however and even then, it's a New For 2009! kind of thing. Actual rule changes don't go into effect until the next GCR comes out and it can't be handled by a technical bulletin or errors and omissions.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    It was listed in Fastrack as under consideration. If you haven't already done so, write your letter of support. Until they finally act, it's not certain however and even then, it's a New For 2009! kind of thing. Actual rule changes don't go into effect until the next GCR comes out and it can't be handled by a technical bulletin or errors and omissions.

K
    I haven't read the fast track yet. I'll read it and send in a letter of support.

It would be nice to plan ahead for '09

thanks!
    hoop
    Last edited by iambhooper; 02-19-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Bringing this back to see where it stands and to ask a question.

I have a 91 Miata that I was thinking about turning into an ITA car. But I was wondering if I could build it as a 94 with the 1.8 and bigger brakes, and more weight assuming the VIN is ignored?
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

I don't know about Miatae but if all of the parts on the car you end up with are identical to what they would have been, had you started with a '94 1.8, then yes. If any of the parts - body elements, frame bits, suspension brackets, etc. - are different, then no.

K

One post from all the way back on page two by Bill and this most recent one from pgipson strike me as something that maybe everyone should consider about this rule change. I think making it easier for racers to retub a bent car is a good idea because it could save a guy a few bucks. Being able to take a less desirable model and use it to be in a more desirable class also strike me as a good idea. But... it also occurs to me that if it is common knowledge that a certain 'model' car is a superior starting point for a racecar, what is to stop every competitor from making the conversion? Not that it's a bad thing, but could become something that has to be done to be competitive. For instance, say Bill has a Shelby. He states the only difference is a compression bump and bigger front brakes. I'm not familiar with these cars but say for the 110 lbs. difference it turns out the half point of compression and the bigger brakes clearly makes a better race car. Say for instance it is hard to make min. weight with the Charger anyhow. Then every guy with a regular Charger is wanting to convert his to a Shelby. The engines are the same except the pistons (I'm guessing) but to convert the brakes you need the rare Shelby brake backing plates. (hypothetical situation) Shelby backing plates suddenly become very desirable (read expensive). A guy is racing his 'Shelby' and gets hit in the front wheel area breaking his only Shelby backing plate. The car is then side lined until he can find a new one or convert back to a regular Charger. Again... this is a purely hypothetical scenario.
    OK... on to pgipson's question. 1.8 miatas turn out to be better racecars at there weight then a 1.6. (or visa versa) Bill's car is somewhat rarer and not many guys race them anyhow, but there are tons of Miatas. Suddenly if you have a earlier 1.6, you are an also ran. Prices for 1.6 cars plunge, can't give them away. Prices for the conversion parts skyrocket. Guys with 1.6s have to pay or be relegated to the back of the pack. A rule designed to make racing cheaper and easier now makes some cars obsolete and others more expensive.
    Sorry for the long winded post. These are hypothetic scenarios, so don't consider what I'm saying in a model specific way. Consider that for instance, with the above situation is there a point listing the Shelby and regular Charger on separate spec lines? Same with the 1.6 and 1.8 Miatas? Does this do a disservice to the guy who found a rare model and committed it to racing? Maybe I'm just rambling here, but unintended consequences seem possible.
    Andrew Rowe