Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The VIN Requirement Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    So, what about a 240z,260z,280z where the spec line is different but the body is essentially the same?
    What Chris said.

Tom, here's the litmus test: if you were to take a 260z body and "build" a 240z race car, strip all labels and VIN, and a Datsun afficianado were to pore over your car and be completely unable to determine that the car started life as a 260z, then it's legal.

But, if the afficianado can go "aha! That bracket (or panel, or whatever) never came on the 240z! This is a 260z" then it's illegal.

It's really that simple: you cannot create a model that didn't exist before. But you can use another body to replicate one that did. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Does that really matter since you can put in a fuel cell?

-Tom
    I think it matters and would still not be legal IMO... there's no allowance to replace a stock tank with a different size "stock style" tank. Same way there's no allowance to change the stock fuel pick-up point on the stock tank to cut down on fuel starve issues.

Go to a fuel cell within the rules and you're good to go
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Short answer is that the chassis is a part - or assembly of parts - that have all got to be exactly as required for the car on the spec line of your choice.

The only unintended consequence that's surfaced it's head with the change is that it's now possible to build a legal IT car from an example of a car that's technically not old enough. Of course, the resulting car's got to conform to the older specs but it's something that hadn't come up in conversation until late in the game.

K

I don't see a problem with that, do you? The resulting "car" will be exactly like (or should be) the one that is actually on the spec line and of "legal" age.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Right, Jeff - not a big issue. I just don't like surprises.

K

Yes, I am in favor of getting rid of the VIN rule - the pluses far outnumber the minuses, in number and potential unintended consequences.

Letter to CRB will be forthcomming!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    Letter to CRB will be forthcomming!
    No need, Bill, it's already a done deal. See October Fastrack. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No need, Bill, it's already a done deal. See October Fastrack. - GA
    Maybe he was going to send a letter thanking them?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Question Question

So if I understand this right. I can take my ITB '79 Ford Mustang and put a '93 Mustang VIN on it. And in nine years when the '79 become vintage I can still race the '79 Mustang as a '93 Mustang?
    Tom
    Owner/Driver of the TF American Racing Mustang ITB/STU #00 (in repair mode)

I don't just burn the candle at both ends...I use a blow torch"

http://tfamericanracing.blogspot.com

If the resulting car is EXACTLY to the specification of the car on spec line you essentially "declare" as applying to your car, yes. If even ONE thing is different between the some part of the body shell, then no.

K

what about for example the early rabbits (ITC) and the rabbit GTI (IT, if you swapped everything from an 83 or 84 GTI into the ITC(engine, fuel distributor, brakes etc) you could then run it in ITB correct?

But then the ITC rabbit has the round headlights and smaller taillights, so would those need to be changed inorder to be 100% legal in ITB?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    But then the ITC rabbit has the round headlights and smaller taillights, so would those need to be changed inorder to be 100% legal in ITB?
    You got it!
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Short answer is that the chassis is a part - or assembly of parts - that have all got to be exactly as required for the car on the spec line of your choice.

The only unintended consequence that's surfaced it's head with the change is that it's now possible to build a legal IT car from an example of a car that's technically not old enough. Of course, the resulting car's got to conform to the older specs but it's something that hadn't come up in conversation until late in the game.

K
    Kirk,

I've got to hand it to you, you sure have a knack for coming up w/ things. I have to say, as long and as hard as I've advocated for the non-VIN# requirement in IT, that's one scenario that had never occurred to me. Nicely done!

And Sandro, Josh is correct, you can't take an early chassis and run it as a later car, unless you make it EXACTLY the same.

BTW, I'm glad to see this one finally go by the boards. And for the record, I remember folks lobbying for the AW11 MR2 to go to ITB way back in the mid-90's when I first started racing one.

My point Bill, is that I did NOT think about it...! One of the ITAC'ers twigged to it - Josh, I think. He's the clever one.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    what about for example the early rabbits (ITC) and the rabbit GTI (IT, if you swapped everything from an 83 or 84 GTI into the ITC(engine, fuel distributor, brakes etc) you could then run it in ITB correct?

Core support. Rear wiper. Trim is different I think but since it can come off, just do that.

Don't use a diesel Rabbit shell though. It has a hole in the firewall for mounting a part the gas Golfs don't have, so the shell is different.

KIDDING.

I think...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    My point Bill, is that I did NOT think about it...! One of the ITAC'ers twigged to it - Josh, I think. He's the clever one.
    I don't know if it makes me clever, but yeah, I think I get the "credit" for that one.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe