Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ITR Contenders

Ron, that was probably me running my mouth about the Type-R. :P

I'm familiar with one that is jointly owned by a couple of guys, one living in Midiv (Dave Volante) and one in Cendiv (Bob Roth).

Their plan is to set it up for long enduros (Summit, Nelson, etc) so the car won't be an all-out ITR build...but it's still a quick car. Like you said, lightness does go a ways.

Right now it's still being un-NASA'd - it has a couple of little items that were legal for the Honda Challenge class it was in but aren't quite legal for ITR. All will be right by Spring, however....

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

I totally agree driving the car you end up building or buying as a race car gives the driver a better feel and edge for the car.

One depressing thing is that I always drove BMW's when I was a yuppie out of college and I can't bear to drive one again, but the 3 series cars are so damn good. It's like, fight the force, don't let logic drag you over and drive for the empire....
    [/b]
    Ben,

Racing a BMW is a very different experience than you remember. As a racer you get to experience how great these cars actually are, hands on. I drive a Z3 because I've been a fan of the car for a long time, not necessarily of BMW, because I like the classic roadsters. Since owning a Z3 I've become a fan of the "empire". The Z3 is an interesting car to me but it's sort of a oddball. There are some down-sides to the Z3, the hood for example is rare as hen-teeth as it's the most likely panel to be damaged, and there are no aftermarket sources for most body or chassis parts. The sedans are better than the Z3 in this and many other aspects.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

The 3 series BMW is one of the best platforms ever. I've driven a number of ITS and JP cars and they are outstanding. They are "the empire". I just want someting more unique for ITR. Sorta why I messed around with the Fiero this year - looking for a unique car that might run up front.

Smart money would be a 3 series. Looked at a several cars that would be great projects for around $4-5K. Still looking for that slicktop Z though - it would be fun to show up with a really fast, totally new IT car.

Anybody got feedback on what to do with a T-top car? Rivet a metal roof on there?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Anybody got feedback on what to do with a T-top car? Rivet a metal roof on there?
    [/b]
    Ben... I've been asking the same question in the Datsun/Nissan forum. So far not one response. I passed on a really good deal on a T-top car because of the uncertainty.

Anybody?
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Can't you have a body shop replace the T-top roof with a solid roof?

I know several people (myself included) who hve done that wth cars that originally had a moonroof. I would think the same could be done for a T-top.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Ben... I've been asking the same question in the Datsun/Nissan forum. So far not one response. I passed on a really good deal on a T-top car because of the uncertainty.
    Anybody? [/b]
    I'm not sure I understand the question... that is, with the possible exception of the fact that occurrences of "sunroofs" in the last 2 sentences below must be taken to mean "sunroofs or T-tops", which IMHO was probably the intent. Otherwise it makes no sense, as there certainly were for instance, glass T-tops in abundant existence when the rule was written. Therefore, why would they have been purposely excluded? From GCR 9.1.3.D.8.f (Body/Structure):

Removable sunroof or T-top may be retained if bolted or welded in, or removed completely. Glass sunroofs must be removed. All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.</span>

[/b]

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Josh... The problem with replacing the entire roof is that there were only about 2500 "slick tops" ever produced. Finding the donor could be problematic but if you found one in a salvage yard a body shop could do the swap.

Gary... Thanks for reposting that. I read the rule before but I guess I read an assumption into it. As I read it again it doesn&#39;t say anything about glass T-tops being removed and replaced with sheet metal, but it seems pretty obvious that it would be a necessary safety item.

Better to keep looking for a slick top.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Josh... The problem with replacing the entire roof is that there were only about 2500 "slick tops" ever produced. Finding the donor could be problematic but if you found one in a salvage yard a body shop could do the swap.[/b]
    I replaced mine with a new part, and the car is at least as rare (although a little newer). Have you confirmed that a new roof panel isn&#39;t available?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

...so I had to put 100 lbs in the trunk.
    [/b]

I drove 2 300ZX cars this weekend. Both had no balls and felt really heavy.

Granted each car at just under 100K miles but I wasn&#39;t impressed. The 968 I drove last fall would crush the Z cars I drove on Saturday.

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

[/b]
    I know its not in the rules that I can put it in the trunk.
    I made sure Josh knew before I ever raced with him that I had it there and showed him why.
    300 lbs of lead is allot of material to fill a s2000 floor....too much in fact that is why 2 of my 50 lb blocks are back there.

I do not think there is any competitive advantage with it back there...if anything it makes it oversteer more than if it was on the pass floor.

I am going to be trying to work it out over the winter to get it in the proper place..
    James (Crash)
    2001 S2000 ITR SFRSCCA #19

I am going to be trying to work it out over the winter to get it in the proper place..[/b]
    Remember that roll cage material requirements specific MINIMUM wall thickness...

K

And minimum number of bars....plus, there are things you are alllowed to take out...that you don&#39;t have to take out....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

make sure your exhaust is sturdy and that you have good tow hooks.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

OK Folks - the ITR search has ended. What we&#39;re looking at as a street to track project is a &#39;99 Boxster with 71K miles, including hardtop, mint interior and 9/10 exterior, needs nothing but a pair of rear tires, purchased for $11.5K. Heck - even got a 90 day warranty.

I figure this project will cost a ton more than the Fiero. But the difference is this car has a ton of potential in the chassis. I&#39;m be curious what we can get out of the motor. I will dyno it for a baseline and share the numba. This will be a gradual buildup

This is gonna be FUN! Who cares it&#39;s cold out - got a heater in the shop. Let the cash evaporation begin!

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Ben,

You need to get in touch with Marboro Mafia on here. He knows where a Boxster is for $6k. Engine is damaged, but $6k might be a good deal for a parts car or a race car.

Ron

Thanks Ron, but I&#39;m looking for a very clean car that I can drive around and have some fun with while I build it up. No salvage or big repairs up front - I bought a clean, one owner car - passed on some real cheap $8-9K auction & salvage stuff. $6k is the lowest I&#39;ve ever heard of!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK Folks - the ITR search has ended. What we&#39;re looking at as a street to track project is a &#39;99 Boxster with 71K miles, including hardtop, mint interior and 9/10 exterior, needs nothing but a pair of rear tires, purchased for $11.5K. Heck - even got a 90 day warranty.

I figure this project will cost a ton more than the Fiero. But the difference is this car has a ton of potential in the chassis. I&#39;m be curious what we can get out of the motor. I will dyno it for a baseline and share the numba. This will be a gradual buildup

This is gonna be FUN! Who cares it&#39;s cold out - got a heater in the shop. Let the cash evaporation begin!

[/b]

Hey Ben, congrats!! Are you doing all your own work on it?

Thanks Dan - I&#39;ll do the easy stuff but will pay talented people to do the motor. Anybody who&#39;s seen me weild a wrench knows I should stick to being an exec. But the idea is to have some fun and build out as much of the car myself. Safety devices makes a nice cage for the car and since it&#39;s a soft top the cage should be pretty easy - I&#39;ll go welded in. Final chassis setup I will have an engineer do and then run some test days with the engineer to dial it in.

My hope is to get it on track - maybe not at the level I&#39;d like, but run some of the short tracks up here late summer - in a showroom stock level of prep and just gradually develop the car. I&#39;ll run the stock car most of &#39;08 but ultimately I think that car will get phased out unless GT2 becomes a reality - there is no way to really make that car competitive in GT1, SPO was a yawn and GTA is not run in the NE.

Really been missing that IT level of competition.

It&#39;ll be fun to run with you - that BMW is damn quick.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Thanks Dan - I&#39;ll do the easy stuff but will pay talented people to do the motor. Anybody who&#39;s seen me weild a wrench knows I should stick to being an exec. But the idea is to have some fun and build out as much of the car myself. Safety devices makes a nice cage for the car and since it&#39;s a soft top the cage should be pretty easy - I&#39;ll go welded in. Final chassis setup I will have an engineer do and then run some test days with the engineer to dial it in.

Really been missing that IT level of competition.

It&#39;ll be fun to run with you - that BMW is damn quick. [/b]

Ben, it will be great to have you back in IT again and with a top of the line car. It sounds like your smart, and that you know your own limitations. I bet you&#39;ll have fun with this car, post some pictures as the car is getting built. Best of luck with it.