Thread: Remote Shifter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"knobs are free" and their method of attachment to the shift lever is also free, as long as said shift lever is unmodified other than the allowed bend (I'm presuming that with the "free" allowance one could use racer's tape or gorilla glue to attach the shifter if one was so inclined )....

But I'm having difficulty figuring out where the ITC states that the knob may be attached to the floor or transmission tunnel, other than via the lever.

IIDSYCTYC

The trick setup on this Mustang is a better, more precise way of accomplishing exactly what the allowed bend to the shift lever was meant to accomplish - put the business end of the shifter in a more easily manipulated position for the driver while maintaining the factory part, as opposed to allowing an aftermarket part and the resulting spillage of the contents of pandora's box....

Not only does this shifter not fir the wording of the rule, it has defiled and murdered the spirit of the rule...

just my opinion, of course.

Richard Floyd
    1987 CRX Si #90 ITB

2006 SARRC ITB Champion

But I'm having difficulty figuring out where the ITC states that the knob may be attached to the floor or transmission tunnel, other than via the lever.
    [/b]
    Bingo, I was wondering how this got so derailed and was hoping somebody had brought this up. My first thought when I glanced at those pics was "illegal, it attaches to the tunnel."

As for rules 'crosstalk' (e.g. steering wheel) that's BS. An allowance or 'understanding' for the steering wheel has absolutely 0 to do with the shifter.

Even if you wanted to imply that this type of crosstalk did exist between similar rules I would say that these are dissimilar rules. If a steering wheel hub has to be cobbled up to be legal per the letter of the rules some people will still do it and pose a significant safety risk to everyone if their steering wheel falls off. Here it makes sense to allow some more purpose built parts. However if they find them selves holding their knob (stop to giggle) it's their own problem and not a significant one.

Off topic, Mustangs must have been designed by chimps. In my mustang days I had to push the lever into 5th with the tips of my first two fingers if I was harnessed in, I'm 6'2". The stick/knob/lever part above the stubby thing I would call the lever is already 'bent' significantly from the factory so if your body is the wrong geometry you really are pretty screwed.

Alex MacDonald

My first thought when I glanced at those pics was "illegal, it attaches to the tunnel."[/b]
    Alex, take a moment to read my "How to Write a Rule" thread.

Problem with your logic is that it's not taking into account what the rule actually says.

Point 1 - Rules say IIDSYCTYC. Right?
    Point 2 - Rules say (in so many words) shift knobs are free.
    Point 3 - Absent any other limitations,...shift knobs are free.
    Point 4 - The George Roffe rule: "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"

Since shift knobs are free, show me where it cannot be mounted to the tunnel, assuming no mods are made to the tunnel to accommodate it (because the rules decisively do not allow mods to the tunnel). Or the roof. Or the tail light. - GA

Point 2 - Rules say (in so many words) shift knobs are free.
    [/b]
    I couldn't find so many words in the rules. I found "any shift knob may be used." This is significantly different from "A shift knob may be anything you want it to be."

If it's to be interpreted the second way I'm just going to call my whole car an 'exterior mirror' and show up in a Ferrari.

I'm not saying the definition needs to be the 'common sense' one, that puts too much pressure on the individual tech inspector. I'm saying there is already a definition of 'shift knob' in the English language regardless of if it is actually written down in the ITCS. If we need to define shift knob in the ITCS I also need to know what the definition of 'is' is before I can move forward with the construction of my Ferrari

No single document can stand entirely on it's own, it must be based on the language in which it's written.

Alex

I couldn't find so many words in the rules. I found "any shift knob may be used." This is significantly different from "A shift knob may be anything you want it to be."[/b]
    OK, then explain to us what the design limitations are on a shift knob. Using the rules carefully, describe what limits what a shift knob can be.

Remember, it's all a new paradigm and culture (see other thread in that regard).

Good luck, you'll be graded on your answer.

GA

Problem with your logic is that it's not taking into account what the rule actually says.

Since shift knobs are free, show me where it cannot be mounted to the tunnel, assuming no mods are made to the tunnel to accommodate it (because the rules decisively do not allow mods to the tunnel). Or the roof. Or the tail light. - GA
    [/b]
    Not So Fast My Friend!!! /Lee Corso Voice

Is drilling mounting holes in the tunnel to accomodate the fasteners not consideredMODIFYING????

If drilling holes for ANY reason is not considered a modification to a part, getting my drill and not modifying the nose of my car right in front of the air cleaner.....

:P
    Richard Floyd
    1987 CRX Si #90 ITB

2006 SARRC ITB Champion

Off topic, Mustangs must have been designed by chimps. In my mustang days I had to push the lever into 5th with the tips of my first two fingers if I was harnessed in, I'm 6'2". The stick/knob/lever part above the stubby thing I would call the lever is already 'bent' significantly from the factory so if your body is the wrong geometry you really are pretty screwed.

Alex MacDonald
    [/b]
    I think this is the perfect place for a spec line exception, worded something like this:

"Because this car is designed by chimps :P , a cantilever shift mechanism may be added. Its base shall be bolted to the top of the transmission tunnel and connected to the two bolt holes on the shifter stub shaft. The shift rod must extend 6 inches above the transmission tunnel and the bottom of the shift knob must be at least 5 1/2 inches above the transmission tunnel"

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter