Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Deadener Removal

Hello,

I'm new to the IT area, but have been doing other odd racing here and there. I'm begining to prep a car, and have been studying the rules diligently. One thing I have notice is that people remove the melted on sound insulators on the floors. However, I cannot find that in the rules where the removal is approved. Can somebody tell me where this is.

The last thing I want to do is spend the next couple months prepping a car, only for it to be illegal.

Thanks

Welcome.

9.1.3.D.9.f. "Carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed."
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Actually a fairly miserable job to remove...

What did Kirk call this? Initiation into race car ownership?

One of those nasty things we all have to go through to actually become racers.

Do some searches on here, the topic comes up frequently as the best way to remove this stuff (dry ice, heat guns, some Home Depot citrus product).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Actually a fairly miserable job to remove...[/b]
    ...and, if you're a bit light and may need to add weight, this stuff way down low is a great place to have it...

...and, if you're a bit light and may need to add weight, this stuff way down low is a great place to have it...
    [/b]
    But the stuff inside the car just looks SOOOO crappy. Media blasting is the way to go!
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

[/b]
    ...and it sucks to realize this AFTER you have finished the dirty job, and have to go find a source to get it and put it back in
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Some cars are easier than others for some reason...

If you live in a northern region, let the car sit in an unheated garage with the temps below freezing and break the stuff up with a small hammer and scrapers. It will shatter like glass. Same technique as the the 'dry ice' method except it's free. My Honda was very easy to do in this manner, maybe 3-4 hours total.
    2002 Cen-Div ITC Champ
    (Converted to G-Prod in 2003)
    (Bumped to H-Prod in 2008)
    2008, 2011 HP Cen-Div Champ
    2011 HP National Champ

Here in the Deep South the dry ice method do not work. I used an air chisel with a dulled bit and most of it popped out easily. Since my undercoating was tar based, those blue nonwoven shop towels soaked w/mineral spirits desolved anything that was left.
    Tom Sprecher

I just used a propane torch, heated it until it just started to bubble and scraped it off down to pimered metal in easy strokes with a putty knife. It was not hard at all, except for the hard to reach areas.

Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Like I said--miserable. Propane torch? like fire? Wear a repirator?

I prefer chemical paint stripper, but have used a heat gun, EZ-off oven cleaner, Dry Ice, chisels (both hand and air powered), rubber mallets, etc.

The nuts is liquid Nitrogen applied as a spray and chip off.

Nope - not a fume enhanced experience. Just heated it up enough to scrape it off, didn't light it on fire.

I guess some folks are worry warts. It was not that hard, and did not take that long, once I found an effective method.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Welcome.

9.1.3.D.9.f. "Carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed."
    [/b]
    Thanks, but I read the rule as "their" to refer to carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome light, grab handles. As an OEM product engineer for carpet systems, these "melt sheets" are not part of the carpet system, nor attached to the carpet, and by my interpretation, not legal to remove based on this rule.

Thanks, but I read the rule as "their" to refer to carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome light, grab handles. As an OEM product engineer for carpet systems, these "melt sheets" are not part of the carpet system, nor attached to the carpet, and by my interpretation, not legal to remove based on this rule.
    [/b]
    Okay, then you probably shouldn't remove yours. The intent of the rules is for the tar to be removed, we can all probably agree on that. Any word can be twisted, didn't Clinton need the definition of "is"?

I'm done with the IT rules and brain dead from the twisted debates that go on about them. Washer bottles, sound deadening, jacking pads, drivetrain mounts.... I'm not going to debate it, it's not the kind of rules I want to race in, instead I've already decided to convert my car to a different organizations rules. When I want to play SCCA I''ll run ITE - where pretty much anything goes as long as you got the safety in place. Have fun.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

"g. Any paint scheme and markings meeting GCR specifications are permitted."

Had to paint the bottom of the car to match the scheme. Surely it's okay to prep the surface first?

K

Mark,
    If it is bad for your blood pressure, then I understand if you do not want to read these rules threads but such discussions taken to the extreme do serve a purpose. I would not condemn IT because of them.

Every time I make a modification to the car I want to understand what rule allows me to make it. There are some things on my car that I am sure somebody would say is not legal by their interpretation but none that I do not have a justification for. I know there are things on many other cars that I do not believe are legal. When I see one it forces me to reexamine my opinion of the rule.

I believe that for me at least this is a healthy exercise for me to understand the rules. That probably makes me a rules nerd, and there are a few of us on this site.

That said in the real world that is not the way it works. I do not believe anyone ever got protested for a washer bottle and I don’t think even the nerdiest of us think they should.

Enjoy IT. It is the best ruleset out there and the best racing.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I agree with what you said but....

It is the best ruleset out there and the best racing.
    [/b]
    True for some, not true for others. I'm finding more and more the ruleset is not in line with what I want so maybe it's more the IT rules than the interpretation. I'm not asking for a rules change, instead I will make a change.

I didn't chime in on the tranny shift knob debate but would have to say I am not in agreement the rules allow for such proposed mod, however do think such mod should be allowed, but it's not. The 2nd Gen RX7 rear camber adjuster - single or double, is no doubt 100% illegal but everyone has one, even those rules nerds.

As to the best racing... yeah, looks like you guys got it real good in some parts of the country, especially NE and SE but other parts IT is all but non-existent.

So, how about that sound deadening the OP thinks is illegal... No one agrees but him?
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I understand your frustration and if ITE of any other class is where you want to be that’s cool. I am sick of working on origami ship in a bottle tub cars but am hesitant to go to GT because of the lack of competition. Just don’t leave because of these debates that really are not as important to the real world as we nerds would like to believe.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Actually, the OP has it nailed. We've all been doing it for years, and we all presumed it was legal, but nobody really read the rules and their true meaning. It appears HE has done his homework.....The inclusion of the word "their" in the sentence clearly leaves out the resonance damping material attached to the chassis of the car.
    (A good illustration of the "Thats the way we do it" mentality is that the first bunch of responses completely ignored the crux of his question, and went on to recommend methods to do it!)

Now, it may have been the rules writers intent that it (the resonance damping material) be included back when they wrote that rule, or not. If it was, they worded it poorly, and it will need to be looked at.

We have rules to establish limits and boundries. We must have them, and we need them. In the real world, we must use judgement and reasonableness to live our lives, but, one mans reasonable isn't the same as anothers, and the rulebook serves to draw the line.

Dicks posts are spot on.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Not so fast there, Jake. I DID read the rules before we started the Pablo build and I came to the decision I posted above (about paint). I wasn't being a smart ass there. IISYCYSAHC.

K