I'm not sure why the "Innuendo" topic was locked, but it's probably better I start a new thread to keep this info from getting lost there...

Since it's revival in 1994 as the "National Championships for Regional Classes", the ARRC by GRM has certainly undergone some changes. We've always had the core IT classes (ITA, ITB, ITC, ITS - plus ITD in the beginning) and over the years have added both local and nationally-recognized classes to help build the car count. I don't have results back to 1994 when we started this event, but I did go back to 1999 to look at some participation trends (this is Sprint races only).

In 1999 we had 151 total entries, and the core IT classes made up 113 of those - ITA = 28, ITB = 22, ITC = 21, ITD = 3, ITS = 39.

We first recognized IT7 in 2000, and even though that's not a GCR class they ARE ITA legal so I'll include them as a core IT class.

2002 was the first year Spec Miata got it's own group, which we created by combining ITB & ITC. ITC participation had dropped from 25 in 2000 to 14 in 2001 and we couldn't justify giving them a group of their own when we had 38 Spec Miatas wanting to play. At any rate, we had 203 total entries in 2002, of which 90 were the core IT cars - IT7 = 12, ITA = 21, ITB = 19, ITC = 16, ITS = 22.

This past weekend we had a total of 294 cars turn a wheel for the Sprint races, and IT made up 81 of those. IT7 = 7, ITA = 30, ITB = 15, ITC = 7, ITR = 4, ITS = 18. We also had 50 Spec Miatas of the ASM or SSM variety (I fully recognize that Spec Miata is NOT Improved Touring, but you gotta figure many of the SM drivers came from the IT ranks).

So the number of "IT-type" cars has grown over the years, but the real growth has been in the non-IT groups. I'm sure that some will argue your numbers would have increased even more had we stayed with the core IT-type cars, but I also hear from the non-IT cars that we're giving y'all preferential treatment since you get to run three races over the weekend while they (one of which is me) only get to run one! And STILL their numbers have increased dramatically.

Bottom line on this whole discussion - don't hold your breath looking for us to cut back the non-IT classes. This year we had four IT-centric run groups and four non-IT run groups. Expect that to remain in 2008.

Based on observations and comments this past weekend, these are my action items for 2008:

. We REALLY need to be able to use the Pro Paddock as well as the current one. This introduces and whole new set of logistical challenges, but I think I've figured out most of those (hint: morning sessions from one side of the front straight, afternoon sessions from the other).

. We REALLY need to work with Road Atlanta to be able to start parking rigs by 2:00 on Wednesday.

. From the other thread, I gather the ITB drivers want full tear-downs of the entire class after every on-track session, even on the Test Day. :P (Be careful what you ask for). Seriously, I accept that we need to be equally diligent in all classes and I'll work with our Tech Staff to make that happen.

Oops - I forgot to mention that when the BoD mandated last year that only the 24 most active classes would attend the Runoffs, we changed the underlying philosophy of the ARRC to "The National Championship Event for Non-Runoffs Classes." If they stay with that plan we'll be adding GP & GT-3 to the mix in 2008, but that won't affect your four run groups. We also expect this event to grow in prestige with GRM's renewed involvement in promoting the event in 2008 and beyond.

As far as Raymond's plan to run local events because the competition is just as keen, I fully understand that fuel prices are not likely to go down anytime soon. I'm going to be cutting back myself in 2008 and may very well run nothing but Road Atlanta events. Of course another way to read Raymond's statement is, "I can get my butt kicked on my backyard, so why go all the way to Atlanta to get it kicked harder?"

See y'all, and thanks for helping make the 2007 ARRC by GRM the best one yet...