Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Results, rumours and inuendo...

I don't have an axe to grind with Spec Miata, but if this is the 'National Championship' for regional classes, and/or those that don't go to the runoffs - why are the Spec Miatas at the ARRC?

From every account I have heard they completely monopolized the resources that were available to the tech shed. This is not unexpected for a class like that, but they can go see who's fastest in October no?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

No if I am not mistaken this is the second year at least that the heads have not come off the cars.

Les Chaney
    [/b]
    At least for ITA, you are mistaken.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

I don't have an axe to grind with Spec Miata, but if this is the 'National Championship' for regional classes, and/or those that don't go to the runoffs - why are the Spec Miatas at the ARRC?

From every account I have heard they completely monopolized the resources that were available to the tech shed. This is not unexpected for a class like that, but they can go see who's fastest in October no?
    [/b]

Agreed 100%...

I am glad that I didn't make the $5,000 investment for the one weekend... The track is fun and the competition is also good (not the hardest), but one reason I liked the event was because I knew that I was racing people whom would actually be penalized (without effort from me) if they were not in compliance.

I would not expect to have to file paper at this event.

All that said, I am not in anyway pointing out one or more ITB cars, but for my own piece of mind I would have liked to have seen all the Golfs (top 3) torn down as they are dam fast IMO and I am sure that all those Golfs would also like to see my car torn down as well if I were to beat them in future "ARRC" events.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

At least for ITA, you are mistaken.

-Tom
    [/b]
    I am glad that it did not go across the board then. I would have bet money that they didn't pull heads in ITB last year but I suppose I am wrong

Les Chaney
    Les Chaney
    #33 FP Volvo

It is unfortunate that they didn't pull the heads from the ITB cars- failing to do so always leaves doubts in people's minds. Of course, I know Beran (car 0) expected to be torn down. I built the engine for that car, and for what's it's worth, I was absolutely scrupulous about it being completely legal. In fact, I almost went insane trying to find legal overbore pistons. After qualifying, Beran was so concerned about his speed that he called me to ask if there was ANYTHING that could be illegal in the engine. There isn't.

Again, FWIW, I don't build illegal engines- as some have rightly pointed out- too much hard work and development goes into amatuer racing to cheat. Please don't assume Beran is a "new guy"- he has been racing since the early 1990s- he is fast and so is his car.

As for other issues about (I assume) body work- please do contact Beran about them as I'm sure he will want to fix them.

Sounds like it was a hell of a race.

Regards,

Bob Quindazzi

...too much hard work and development goes into amatuer racing to cheat. ...[/b]
    Very well put, Bob - thanks for that. It's precisely the reason that we'd really hoped - expected - that we'd get poked, prodded, and measured before the trophies got handed out.

In the weeks leading up to the ARRC, Cameron gave in to anxiety and tore the head off to check the compression ratio himself, having trusted the machine shop guy to get the math right with the initial build. It's that important.

I think maybe the way to handle this in the future is to write the paper in advance regardless, then let the stewards tell us if it becomes unnecessary because they intend to look at whatever has been protested...

Kirk

PS - we had similar frustration with the piston issues.

Chris retired from the ITB sprint race because of a failed wheel bearing.

Personally, I was very disappointed that the level of tech seemed to be racheted down several steps this year. Why in the world wouldn't you have heads pulled on the top 3 in the IT classes (at least ITR, S, A, B, and C). Why the ARRC continues to cater to cars that have a national class in which to race, I have no idea (but I assume it has to do with cubic $$). But it is unfair for the ASM and SSM classes to take up so much of the finite time that the tech shed has. Additionally, THERE ARE TOO MANY CLASSES!! Doing justice to "championships" for that many classes in that short of period of time is impossible for the number of people manning the tech shed.

Also, personally, I would like to see more of the national staff in attendance, as well as $$ so that the CRB could attend, and some committment from the IT ad hoc members to attend, also.

(the above is a personal rant from the author and may not reflect the opinion of others within this household)
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

When this event started it was "the" IT event of the year.
    It drew competitors from all over the country. Now, it is
    basically a southeast event with a few others who are
    willing to travel. "ARRC" Spec Miata is a cash cow that
    dilutes the event. Go back and look at the level of
    entries in IT classes from 1994. Now we have been
    shoved to the back burner.
    We are promised split starts every year before we get
    there and then the Chief Steward pulls the rug out from
    under us when we get there.
    I'm with Les. This event for IT has become a joke. Yes some
    of the races were good but the participation numbers are
    weak.
    I think I will try to support the festival at Mid-Ohio to
    become "our" National Championships similar to
    what Kansas did in the 90's and the "ARRC" was in the
    mid-90's when they torn 'em down and you went home
    knowing a legal car won.

Jinx Jordan

jinx-

Problem is it fest doesn't check anything but weight...

Raymond "sorry were off topic" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Actually for you that were not there........ It was a GREAT event, well run, staffed by nice folks, had great track announcers that kept a pretty large crowd of spectators informed, and did this with a FULL PADDOCK!

Contrary to the theme of this post. ARRC is still THE event for Regional cars.

If you have constructive suggestions (ie tearing down engines in your class,) contact Butch and I bet they will do their best to get it done in the future. He has been very open to suggestions from racers.

Again.... for those not there, it was pretty dang good for the 300+ mob of drivers.....not many hitches ifor an event that big.

Now.......back to your previous unhappiness! :P
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Actually for you that were not there........ It was a GREAT event, well run, staffed by nice folks, had great track announcers that kept a pretty large crowd of spectators informed, and did this with a FULL PADDOCK!

Contrary to the theme of this post. ARRC is still THE event for Regional cars.

If you have constructive suggestions (ie tearing down engines in your class,) contact Butch and I bet they will do their best to get it done in the future. He has been very open to suggestions from racers.

Again.... for those not there, it was pretty dang good for the 300+ mob of drivers.....not many hitches ifor an event that big.
    Now.......back to your previous unhappiness! :P
    [/b]
    Mac-

I certainly wouldn't argue that... however we have great events all the time in the Northeast, and arguably some of the regulars that seem to run at the front of the pack in ITA and ITB at these events run just about every weekend in our backyard. I am leaning towards budgeting ourselves to run locally rather than travel as we get the same caliber event with a lot less expences... (Although I admit the tracks are not as fun)

In 08 prove that the event is "national championship" caliber and I will try to plan again for 09

Raymond "I am sure that Butch is reading" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

i ran the IT spectacular and spectated at the ARRC for my first time to Road Atlanta.

for 2008, those two races go into the budget first and everything else will be adjusted.

nomonasafome unless literally in my backyard.

tom
    #91 ITB
    CRX Si
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I gotta agree with there being too many classes. Other than the IT classes the race has too many SP classes with only one or two cars entered. It has got to be confusing to many spectators. FWIW the ITS, ITA, ITB & ITC races were pretty good races and well attended.

I think maybe the way to handle this in the future is to write the paper in advance regardless, then let the stewards tell us if it becomes unnecessary because they intend to look at whatever has been protested...[/b]
    Maybe the field collectively needs to write three papers, leaving the cars / drivers names to be protested left blank until the race is complete? Put a few “must check” items such as compression, cams, ??? and a few various surprise items that could be checked in a hat and let chance determine what gets picked. I also am fully aware of the man power it takes to accomplish this, and sympathize with that. At the same time part of the lure of the ARRC for IT racers is the tear downs, and getting a little better comfort feeling with the cars that won.

Also, personally, I would like to see more of the national staff in attendance, as well as $$ so that the CRB could attend, and some commitment from the IT ad hoc members to attend, also. Lesley[/b]
    That would be great, but it all costs money. As long as there are people who have the knowledge to properly use the equipment (and of course have the necessary equipment at the event, including a cam doctor even if loaned from National), that’s all that is important to me.

Problem is it fest doesn't check anything but weight...[/b]
    Ray, they did test my fuel, although Jake G. told me it was just a matter of getting more gas for their generator. LOL
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

don't forget the reality of needing enough cars to pay for the weekend.

i would rather have these other cars here than have to increase my entry fee by 50%.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

That would be great, but it all costs money. As long as there are people who have the knowledge to properly use the equipment (and of course have the necessary equipment at the event, including a cam doctor even if loaned from National), that’s all that is important to me.
    [/b]
    Jeremy Thoennes from Topeka was there with the "Cam Doctor".

For those that don't know, "ASM" is ARRC Spec Miata. If you attended the SCCA Runoffs, you were not eligible to run in ASM at the ARRC.

IT should be the primary focus of tech and teardowns at the ARRC if it wants to bill itself at the Unofficial National Championship. Period.

Don't ignore other classes but most certainly remember your primary targets.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Raymond,
    No doubt the NE is a hotbed of IT racing and has great quality events during the year. I can also understand the stay closer to home idea as yesterday I bought two new trailer tires in Meridian, MS, a new trailer hub in Shreveport, LA and still hadn't gotten back to good ol TX.
    But, since 2000 I have been going to ARRC and although it has slight changes most years, the quality and the REP of the event is still one of the, if not the best, of any Reg. events. Without a doubt it is the most well known.
    It is still just Club Racing and even though the competition is very high it is the people you meet or see again from year to year that makes it a great event. You guys who do it like the Runoffs (travel a million miles) and basically just run the sprint race amaze me. Going all that way for one short race is a big committment. Not what I would do, but then again at that level running top ten is where my win would be.
    I don't know if the event needs tweaking or maybe some of you guys expectations are different. (I agree I expected the IT classes to all be looked at close in the Tech shed) One of my favorite racers (and we are just "hi how are you" friends) is Chris Albin. Chris to me seems to be the RIGHT kind of IT Club racer (not saying anybody is wrong), he shows up prepped to win, bringing ability to win, but also just wanting to race. It seems if they throw a green flag he is in the race and it looks like he does it because he just likes to race. That seems like what Club Racing (especially regional Club Racing) is all about.
    Once again Raymond, you guys have some of the best racing in the country up in the NE and none of the above is a knock on the talent pool up there, it is just the way I look at ARRC as the top event of the year and why it is so.

Mac
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

***Understand that SM is goig to a compliance fee just like SRF. This type of attendence and conpliance checking by Jeremy and his team is exactly what that money is for.***

I have zero comments if the Spec Miat runs at the ARRC or not............

I do have a comment about the compliance fee that Spec Miata "Regional racers" will be required to pay for each Regional event they enter in 2008 when the SCCA admits they will check only 15 events during 2008. Lets call their checks once at a National race for each Divison with a couple others thrown in for the 15 checks. WHY should "Regional racers" pay to check National cars? Please keep in mind the 75% of event fees come from "Regional racers".

Have Fun
    CenDiv Spec Miata #14
    David

PS: Curious question, did the IT cars get lesser checks because the folks from Topeka (J) were there doing the checking ?

I gotta agree with there being too many classes. Other than the IT classes the race has too many SP classes with only one or two cars entered. It has got to be confusing to many spectators. FWIW the ITS, ITA, ITB & ITC races were pretty good races and well attended.
    [/b]
    I assume it was an oversight, but technically, the SPO and SPU cars were not elligible to compete per the supps. See rule 3. I think there were more that didn't fit the SPO/SPU requirements here: "Vehicles must not be other wise classed in the GCR and Category Specifications." Not that this really matters, but why have a rule if it's not enforced?

Grafton