Thread: What to do to car for cooler weather?

Do you guys do anything to your car at a race when the weather is cooler? Looks like it's going to be 40s-50s in the morning and 60s in the afternoon. My car is prepped for the hot summer and I'm wondering if I should do anything for the cooler weather. Taping up the front a bit to get some more heat in the motor was one thing I thought of. What about brake ducts? It's a long run between 7 and 10 down the back straight. Will the brakes get too cool?

Thanks.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Get the tires up to temp before leaning on them. We had morning lows in the 20s at our last Blackhawk race. In the 9:20 warmup session it took two full laps of gingerly leaning on the tires to transition from 'driving on ice' to 'driving on race tires'. I also start at a slightly higher pressure in shorter sessions. Long sessions, hopefully I am able to get the tires up to normal temp/pressure.

Depending on your injection setup, you may want to take a look at AFR in the cooler weather. I know they are supposed to self adjust, but I have seen some changes with wide temperature swings.

That is all I do.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

That's not that cold. I would not do anything other than warming things up--carefully--but only in the early morning. As in the prior post--watch your tires. However when starting the car first thing in the morning, always let it warm-up completely and gently.

For a mid-morning qualifying session and an afternoon race, things will be warm, so I would not tape oil coolers and block off brake ducts or change pressures.

For forties and rain...that's different.

Do you guys do anything to your car at a race when the weather is cooler? [/b]
    set lap records
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Well yeah. I left that one out.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com